IGNORED

Mini Arcade Alert!

simbalion

17 minutes ago, negative1 said:

These machines are not for playing with. They are for collectors that only want them for looks, and put them on a shelf.

The miniature size and controls makes it impossible to play properly.

Counterpoint, my 8-year-old daughter learned to play Centipede on our Replicade, and then set the high score on Centipede on a full-size multicade cab at the pizza restaurant. (Admittedly the high scores on that thing get reset every day, but still). These are playable and they are the proper shape, unlike the superdeformed monstrosities other companies are putting out. ?

Can't wait to see Asteroids Deluxe, hopefully next year!

Edited by Zoyous
  • Like 1

1 6 hours ago, negative1 said:

I'll stick with the arcade 1ups and their terrible controls (which can be replaced)

24 minutes ago, negative1 said:

The miniature size and controls makes it impossible to play properly.

I agree, I want to see some folks trying to play on those tiny buttons before I make any purchase.

3 hours ago, Zoyous said:

Counterpoint, my 8-year-old daughter learned to play Centipede on our Replicade, and then set the high score on Centipede on a full-size multicade cab at the pizza restaurant. (Admittedly the high scores on that thing get reset every day, but still). These are playable and they are the proper shape, unlike the superdeformed monstrosities other companies are putting out. ?

Can't wait to see Asteroids Deluxe, hopefully next year!

I think you proved my my point.

I should have said, I don't have miniature hands.

If I was a child i guess it would be fine.

But i doubt i could barely put a finger on the trackball.

For tempest, they included a larger spinner, because the normal one was too tiny.

later

1 hour ago, negative1 said:

But i doubt i could barely put a finger on the trackball.

For tempest, they included a larger spinner, because the normal one was too tiny.

Oh, okay. Do you ever use a mousewheel? Or do you need a giant wheel to scroll? ? I'm telling you man, the trackball is incredibly accurate. Anyway, I can't deny these are mostly to look at. But they are playable.

Oh, okay. Do you ever use a mousewheel? Or do you need a giant wheel to scroll? ? I'm telling you man, the trackball is incredibly accurate. Anyway, I can't deny these are mostly to look at. But they are playable.

If i ever find one at a reasonable cost, (not $500 or $1000), i will buy one out and try it.

I doubt I could last the 4-5 hours it takes to max it out, like the real game.

a86arqP.jpg

I have done that several times this week on the arcade 1up, and several of the xbox 360 versions.

If i could last longer than 5 minutes on it, i would be amazed.

later

• Like 1

So I just got an email from New Wave Toys / Replicade that they only have 50 of the Street Fighter II mini cabs left and then they're gone. But I see them for sale elsewhere online like Amazon so should I be worried? I had sorta considered buying one someday when money isn't so tight but now I'm thinking I may lose my chance.

Advice?

46 minutes ago, ComputerSpaceFan said:

So I just got an email from New Wave Toys / Replicade that they only have 50 of the Street Fighter II mini cabs left and then they're gone. But I see them for sale elsewhere online like Amazon so should I be worried? I had sorta considered buying one someday when money isn't so tight but now I'm thinking I may lose my chance.

Advice?

Yes, you should be worried.

They don't make too many, and street fighter is very popular.

I've been looking for a centipede one, and they are $300 and up now. oh well.

later

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, wolfy62 said:

I finally got this yesterday after preordering it exactly a year ago.

It is the best looking one by New Wave Toys so far!

My apologies for the not so great picture. 

20201104_064533.jpg

Very nice looking.

How does it play, any videos.

later

Edited by negative1
  • Like 1

So I just saw this morning the $50 Contra cabinet and obviously being boxed and sealed up it's just the shell and box art, looks amazing.  I was curious if anyone owned one of those yet and had a feel given it's the arcade game given the added price and screen style too.

They were supposed to have a wicked SF2CE cabinet out already but I guess it's another chinese communist party victim as well.  Any dates on that or price?  I really was looking forward to that one with it's little stick (that isn't a d-pad like contra) and layout it has for it.  I did want that 1/4 cade for it but it's just too damn much money and space eaten for random fun and if the myarcade is the arcade one anyway, why not?

I'm curious if those premium cabs could be tweaked for other things too.

I recently received the Replicade Tempest and Dragon's Lair. Both cool cabinets... the Tempest cabinet artwork is awesome, of course. The Dragon's Lair cabinet art isn't as immediately impressive, but there are other cool details... the LED score panel above the screen has been beautifully miniaturized. And the back of the cabinet opens up to reveal a replica laser disc player with remote and a laser disc that comes in its own sleeve.

Control-wise, as previously reported, the Tempest spinner is not a true weighted rotary controller; it is a stepped encoder which only offers a passable playing experience. The steps correspond to the "lanes" on each Tempest wave, but when entering your initials it takes three steps to advance for each letter... kind of annoying. At this point I haven't heard of any rumblings of anyone creating an improved spinner to mod these cabinets... I guess the demand isn't really there. So, after the impressive precision of the Centipede trackball, this is a letdown. Expert players will be understandably disappointed, although they might not be interested to begin with since it's not ergonomically comfortable. For most people looking for a 5 or 10-minute play session every once in a while, it's not going to be a dealbreaker... but for someone with a casual interest, would they spend this much? Ultimately it's cool as an object to look at, and maybe that's enough for people who admire the design of the cabinet.

Dragon's Lair controls work really well. The joystick feels very precise, almost clicky, but not with an audible metallic sound. I'd liken it to the Xbox One controller d-pad. It's sturdy and you won't accidentally push it in the wrong direction. It should be no problem to beat the game once you've memorized each challenge, and it's a short enough game that the small size of the cabinet won't get too uncomfortable. However, the cabinet also has HDMI out and two USB inputs for external controllers, making this a mini dedicated console. It would be awesome if they'd do this for all of the Replicade cabinets, but Dragon's Lair is a special case as it began with a Kickstarter and the additional ports were successful stretch goals. The sequence of rooms in this version seems to be somewhat different from some of the walkthroughs I'm reading online, so I wonder what's up. Either the walkthroughs are outdated/refer to prior home versions that might have been altered from the original coin-op, or there are some options in the menus... I'll have to go poking around in the options and do some more research.

Next up in December will be Asteroids, followed by 1942 next year. A brief video showed that they've increased the size of the shots in Asteroids to make them more visible on the small screen. I was hoping for a post-processing bloom/glow effect, but maybe that requires too much horsepower. The modified shot size kind of bothers me actually, so I hope it might be optional. Regarding 1942, New Wave Toys hinted in a response to someone on their FB page that it might contain more than one game.

Edited by Zoyous
  • Like 1

I posted my thoughts on the Dragon's Lair Replicable here: https://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/2020/11/06/dragons-lair-replicade-great-but-not-on-a-tv/

Bottom line is that I absolutely love it as a tabletop unit, but it's not so great when used on a TV. USB controller compatibility leaves a lot to be desired, the video output is low quality, and there are some audio quirks. Again, though, for its intended purpose as a tabletop unit, it's damned near perfect in my opinion.

• Like 1

I recently received the Replicade Tempest and Dragon's Lair. Both cool cabinets... the Tempest cabinet artwork is awesome, of course. 

Control-wise, as previously reported, the Tempest spinner is not a true weighted rotary controller; it is a stepped encoder which only offers a passable playing experience. The steps correspond to the "lanes" on each Tempest wave, but when entering your initials it takes three steps to advance for each letter... kind of annoying. At this point I haven't heard of any rumblings of anyone creating an improved spinner to mod these cabinets... I guess the demand isn't really there. So, after the impressive precision of the Centipede trackball, this is a letdown. Expert players will be understandably disappointed, although they might not be interested to begin with since it's not ergonomically comfortable. For most people looking for a 5 or 10-minute play session every once in a while, it's not going to be a dealbreaker... but for someone with a casual interest, would they spend this much? Ultimately it's cool as an object to look at, and maybe that's enough for people who admire the design of the cabinet.

Challenge accepted.

I have been holding out on this ever since it was released. This post made me decide to get it, and see whats really going on.

If it really works in a step fashion, then it still possible to play it 'properly', you don't need to spin it wildly around to get far.

My games can go up to the yellow boards (with practice). I can usually get deep into the red levels. (Maybe in a month or 2

get to the light blue levels).

Anyways, my point is, lets see what really can be done. I will definitely be reporting back, once i try it out.

later

Edited by negative1
  • Like 1

That last bit in the earlier post about 1942 in 2021 having perhaps more than one game.  I find that interesting.  I also would not be surprised if that means it also includes staying point 1943 if not also 1943 KAI too.  That would be a fantastic on point bundle to add a bit of value to the package.

I keep thinking about it and likely won't buy it, but Dragon's Lair looks phenomenal.  The price vs the fact my short term memory is garbage shies me away from it.  I love and hate the game as I can never remember many of the sequences, speed isn't a problem.  If this had the more modern decade old twist the WII trilogy package (it had space ace with DL2) where you can turn it into a QTE due to prompts I'd be all over that.  The game was still damn hard, just not unreasonable since memory wasn't in the equation.

16 hours ago, negative1 said:

Anyways, my point is, lets see what really can be done. I will definitely be reporting back, once i try it out.

Cool, I'll be interested to hear your impressions! Oh man, the pressure is on. I thought I was warning away the advanced players, not daring them! ?

11 hours ago, Tanooki said:

That last bit in the earlier post about 1942 in 2021 having perhaps more than one game.  I find that interesting.  I also would not be surprised if that means it also includes staying point 1943 if not also 1943 KAI too.  That would be a fantastic on point bundle to add a bit of value to the package.

I'll attach the pictures that were posted a while back... I found where someone grabbed a still from an E3 video showing a card that says it will include 1942, 1943, 1944 and 1945. However, someone pointed out that 1944 is on a horizontal monitor, so maybe that's a misprint or they are going to include one of the other vertically-oriented games instead. Hopefully they wouldn't just have a horizontal game playing on a vertical screen.

replicade_1942.jpg

replicade_1942_e319.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Zoyous said:

Cool, I'll be interested to hear your impressions! Oh man, the pressure is on. I thought I was warning away the advanced players, not daring them! ?

I'll attach the pictures that were posted a while back... I found where someone grabbed a still from an E3 video showing a card that says it will include 1942, 1943, 1944 and 1945. However, someone pointed out that 1944 is on a horizontal monitor, so maybe that's a misprint or they are going to include one of the other vertically-oriented games instead. Hopefully they wouldn't just have a horizontal game playing on a vertical screen.

Hey if that is their (at the time) official art card for it, then yeah that 1944 game likely well end up with a pillar boxing effect in the other direction to go horizontal on a vertical.  That dumb Namco Museum MyArcade 10" thing does that for more than half the games it had.  I had one for all of a few days, waste of money, so shittily built the double faced tape(?!) holding the LCD dropped into the machine and I couldn't get it apart and it started acting odd and all this from a 2ft fall onto carpet from my lap which also broke the usb plug on the cable - I was pissed.  I know their smaller stuff is better assembled than that on the inside which is pathetic.

I don't know for a replicade if I'd drop $120 on a 1942-45 cabinet, but it looks sweet.  Personally I'd want SF2 but it seems they don't sell it and the ebay asshole scalpers want like $600 for it which is disgusting.  Dragon's Lair I'd be all over, if it had the modern hack they did since the Wii to have on screen prompts as I can't remember the moves, never was capable of that, but as a timing event I can go pretty well into it which is fun as it requires real speed. :D

6 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Hey if that is their (at the time) official art card for it, then yeah that 1944 game likely well end up with a pillar boxing effect in the other direction to go horizontal on a vertical.  That dumb Namco Museum MyArcade 10" thing does that for more than half the games it had.  I had one for all of a few days, waste of money, so shittily built the double faced tape(?!) holding the LCD dropped into the machine and I couldn't get it apart and it started acting odd and all this from a 2ft fall onto carpet from my lap which also broke the usb plug on the cable - I was pissed.  I know their smaller stuff is better assembled than that on the inside which is pathetic.

I don't know for a replicade if I'd drop $120 on a 1942-45 cabinet, but it looks sweet.  Personally I'd want SF2 but it seems they don't sell it and the ebay asshole scalpers want like $600 for it which is disgusting.  Dragon's Lair I'd be all over, if it had the modern hack they did since the Wii to have on screen prompts as I can't remember the moves, never was capable of that, but as a timing event I can go pretty well into it which is fun as it requires real speed. :D

If you order the New Wave Toy units when they are initially offered either via kickstarter or pre sale,they have all been sold for $90. which is totally reasonable.

That's how I am able to afford them all!

Your other comments about the Namco Museum are so true!

I was hoping that machine would be pretty good at least,and it sure is a disappointment for many reasons. 

Hey,they cant all be great unfortunately! 

Edited by wolfy62
Added content.

20 hours ago, Tanooki said:

That dumb Namco Museum MyArcade 10" thing does that for more than half the games it had.  I had one for all of a few days, waste of money, so shittily built the double faced tape(?!) holding the LCD dropped into the machine and I couldn't get it apart and it started acting odd and all this from a 2ft fall onto carpet from my lap which also broke the usb plug on the cable - I was pissed.  I know their smaller stuff is better assembled than that on the inside which is pathetic.

so you dropped and broke the machine, and you're blaming it for being built poorly. right ok.

13 hours ago, wolfy62 said:

Your other comments about the Namco Museum are so true!

I was hoping that machine would be pretty good at least,and it sure is a disappointment for many reasons. 

Hey,they cant all be great unfortunately! 

The namco myarcade machine is the best thing they have ever put out.

Except for the controller being too far to the left side, other than that.

For the price, getting mostly arcade game ROMS is much better than the crappy NES versions they kept putting out.

The screen is better, and everything just works. Charging it, and playing it, it is the best value out there compared

to every other mini multiplayer one for me.

Maybe you guys got defective ones.

Sounds like it.

later

11 hours ago, negative1 said:

so you dropped and broke the machine, and you're blaming it for being built poorly. right ok.

If you feel that a 2ft drop onto fuzzy carpet with a thick pad is me being abusive enough to break it, you're crazy.  It's not like I threw it down.  There's no excuse for the screen to drop into the system from that height.  It's a sign of being poorly built using a couple cheap thin strips of double faced tape to hold that in there.  The USB cable, they're cheap anywhere, that's understandable.  Like it or not, that's a sign of poor workmanship, so I don't know why you're getting all offended by that.  The cheapo little keychains and bridge direct mini arcade stuff is a mix of being tabbed and small screws to keep things in place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1