IGNORED

Sega game gear questions

I am aquiring a sega game gear for free that powers on, but has just a white screen. I have read that this is probably a capacitor problem, but is thre something else that could be wrong with it?

secondly, assuming I can get it to work, what are some of the best games for the system? i want to get a few so I can play the system til I can get an everdrive for it.

Possibly capacitors, kits are available and relatively cheap. Double check with a good cleaning of the contacts though. I had one I was trying to power up with a Sonic 2 cartridge, and after a really good contact cleaning on the system and the cartridge, I managed to get visual on the screen to come back. I liked the Sonic Drift games pretty well, Road Rash was a must have as far as I'm concerned(i'm biased though, I love most of the Road Rash games). Also it's got Streets of Rage, Ninja Gaiden, Shinobi, a decent Paperboy and the other good news is the game gear is region free, so you can play any country's carts. Also, if you get one of the Master System adapters, it opens up the library a bit further.

Probably caps. Even the majesco units are nearly two decades old now. But do a good cleaning anyways. You might get lucky.

Second on the sonic titles. I also love populous though I don't know if there is a gg specific version. I play it through the gt adapter.

Fine tip no fine tips suck even for extremely small parts

Solder gun no that's a bit on the other extreme

I'd rather do it for you for cost of parts and postage rather than you risk goofing it up of you are not experienced with circuit boards... I hate to see a good system get messed up with the best intentions

I have recaped 2 game gears. Its not as hard as you may think and actually probably a good beginners project. I will say I believe every game gear should be recaped even if it works it will need it soon. I have not seen one with a cap issue that displays a white screen. All of the ones I have seen have been dim or black with no audio. It could still likely be a cap issue, and the caps should still be your starting point. For the caps I actually got a big grab bag of caps from American science and surplus for just a few bucks. Just make sure the uf number is the same as the one your replacing and that the voltage rating is the same or higher, and replace them all. If you dont have a grab bag then just get a kit. Watch for decimal points 22 uf is not the same as 2.2. I've made that error, you wont destroy it but it wont work and you will have to redo it. Desoldering is the hardest part. It's not recommended but on the first one I did I just used pliers to snap off the old caps. It worked fine for me but is risky. You could lift the pads ad traces and then you got a problem. So try to hold onto the cap with some needle nose pliers and heat the sides till it lifts off. Also watch polarity. Both that I did had polarity clearly marked on the board so it was easy. Hopefully all boards are marked this way. And finaly be aware of space and orientation. The new caps will be bigger and will have to be strategically placed so you can reassemble the unit especially on the sound board that thing is pretty small. Those are all my big tips. It may sound tough buts its not so bad. My first one really helped build my confidence for these types projects. If the price is right I say get it. I can help if you got any questions or even want some pictures.

As for games... I really only play Off Road. I got a ton of games I don't spend a ton of time with them. This is a scenario for me where I enjoy fixing the system more then using it.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I got the game gear today. I put my 32x, yellow tip, power cord into it and I could not see the picture, I then tilted it to where the top was pointing almost to the floor and i could see the picture and play the game. Sound seems to work. I'm guessing this is a capacitor issue. I am trying to open it to look into it and got the screws out but now have that security screw thing to get out so I can take a quick look inside and see if it's something we can do or better off sending to someone to recap it. I know you can buy a gamebit (sp?) to open easily but I don't want to buy it to do it once. Other ways to open it? I brought it upstairs to look at it a little closer and when I turned it back on it kept repeating "sega" with the logo on it and would start and disappear and then reappear and say sega again. Not sure if this could be dirt, or the cap thing too.

Edited by metzger130

1. Buy the two sizes of gamebits, if you're into gaming you'll need them for everything.

2. If you have to look at your Gamegear from an extreme angel it needs caps.

3. Gamgears are cheep with lots of caps so it makes lots of good soldering practice. You don't need the best gear. It was one of my first time soldering projects and it's not extremely hard and I got a lot of confidence from it.

4. The picture will still pretty much suck :)

Agree with above but I have removed the security screw with a pair of (old) wire cutters to grip the indents

And there's the bic pen trick, remove the cap off the non writing end of a bic pen, warm it up so the plastic is good n soft and jam it on the screw you wish to remove

Being a game gear and seeing a screen at extreme angle its 99% caps ... you just need to know which version you have to order the right kit and the easiest way to tell is looking at the motherboard

Edited by Osgeld

Definitely the caps. This is the exact scenario I have seen on both of mine. Replace those guys and you will be good to go. Like I said you will learn alot from the project. The screen will never be great because it never realy was. If you feel confident when your done its not a whole lot harder or expensive to swap in a more modern screen or even vga out. There are lots of plans on the web for this. Sky's the limit with the game gear you can learn tons. If you screw it up it's sad but not a serious loss. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

radio shack by us is going out of business, not due to no business, due to rent being raised to high and they are having a nice sale. They have a dual temperature soldering station, 20 and 40w I believe. would this be good to get to solder the parts?

It's probably fine. If it's a good price after the sale (compare it to what you can get online), go for it.

• Like 1

I need to do this. I was digging and found 2 gamegears and I know they need fixing. I remember back 5+ years ago when I got the one it had sound issues and the other had a very dull screen plus I have 2 more boxed ones I should fix.

I'm thinking buying bulk would be a better way for me to go. Before I drop $30 on 4 kits and that's if shipping is free. I would imagine I could bulk buy caps for this and have stock on hand for future ones. Anyone have a cap list? I'll do some searching myself but if anyone already has a list of the caps needed :)

nm found it :)

https://www.nintendorepairhut.com/images/Sega_GameGear_Capacitor_Replacement_Kit.pdf