IGNORED

Best DOS Games 1980-1990?

On 7/29/2021 at 1:26 PM, 82-T/A said:

Yes!!! Absolutely, 100% agree. I loved this game. When my daughter was 5... (in the early 2010s) I sat her down and we played this from beginning to end on a laptop. I never really did that with any other game, but I had a little bit of time one weekend, so we played it. That apparently really stuck out to her, and she talks about it every now and then, which is kind of funny. It was a great game though... I loved all the Sierra games.

That's an awesome story! Only one weekend to complete it? Man, I remember it talking me the whole Summer of 1991 or so lol!

10 hours ago, Zap! said:

That's an awesome story! Only one weekend to complete it? Man, I remember it talking me the whole Summer of 1991 or so lol!

Haha... yeah, well to be honest, I had already beaten the game myself when I was much younger. I can't really remember, but I think the hardest part for me was taking the rose and going properly through the swamp (?) to get to the area... shoot.. even then, that was about 8-9 years ago... but yeah, she loved that game. We started to do it with Space Quest 3, but then life took over.

I think I had also downloaded the PDF Walkthrough which I had in another window, so we could keep the game going... she absolutely loved it... and she talks about the King Arthur story a lot... I even let her watch Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail, and she put two and two together of course.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

Haha... yeah, well to be honest, I had already beaten the game myself when I was much younger. I can't really remember, but I think the hardest part for me was taking the rose and going properly through the swamp (?) to get to the area... shoot.. even then, that was about 8-9 years ago... but yeah, she loved that game. We started to do it with Space Quest 3, but then life took over.

I think I had also downloaded the PDF Walkthrough which I had in another window, so we could keep the game going... she absolutely loved it... and she talks about the King Arthur story a lot... I even let her watch Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail, and she put two and two together of course.

If any old Sierra game needs a VGA update, it's CoC and KQIV. They are my favorite Sierra games ever. A shame they didn't update them for VGA.

50 minutes ago, Zap! said:

If any old Sierra game needs a VGA update, it's CoC and KQIV. They are my favorite Sierra games ever. A shame they didn't update them for VGA.

Haha... definitely.

You know what though, I don't think I ever played Kings Quest 4. I thought it already was in VGA? I played Kings Quest 3... first one I ever played, and then also 2 and 1... and then played #5 on CD... and that was pretty much it. I really liked the Quest for Glory games though.

Just looked it up... guess it wasn't. I forget how long ago #4 was... I get it mixed up with Space Quest 4... which was already in the 90s I think.

Edited by 82-T/A

12 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

Haha... definitely.

Just be grateful that you never got the infamous "Out of heap space" error in CoC. I played till almost the very end and got it on my Atari ST. As in 99% complete. I couldn't get past it and never actually finished it. I consider it a beaten game with an asterisk; there was nothing else I could have done and it happened through no fault of my own, so I consider it a win lol.

You know what though, I don't think I ever played Kings Quest 4. I thought it already was in VGA? I played Kings Quest 3... first one I ever played, and then also 2 and 1... and then played #5 on CD... and that was pretty much it. I really liked the Quest for Glory games though.

Just looked it up... guess it wasn't. I forget how long ago #4 was... I get it mixed up with Space Quest 4... which was already in the 90s I think.

KQIV is amazing, although it being my first KQ game I'm a little biased. Yeah, it was released in 1988 IIRC.

The dark age of PC gaming when almost everyone's toaster could play games better.

I do recall a 3D driving game though, I remember there was oncoming traffic and a highway you crossed, needed good specs to run.

Can't think o the name of it but I know it was a late 80's game and it ran somewhat smooth for PC.

Great this will bother me all day now.

7 hours ago, Zap! said:

Just be grateful that you never got the infamous "Out of heap space" error in CoC. I played till almost the very end and got it on my Atari ST. As in 99% complete. I couldn't get past it and never actually finished it. I consider it a beaten game with an asterisk; there was nothing else I could have done and it happened through no fault of my own, so I consider it a win lol.

KQIV is amazing, although it being my first KQ game I'm a little biased. Yeah, it was released in 1988 IIRC.

Oh man... that sucks.

I'm having that same problem with the Dungeons & Dragons Gold Box Series game... Curse of the Azure Bonds. I'm pretty much at the end of the game... second to last battle... I win... and everything is jacked up... I literally cannot win the game. So I too have beaten that game with an "asterisk."

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Leeroy ST said:

The dark age of PC gaming when almost everyone's toaster could play games better.

I do recall a 3D driving game though, I remember there was oncoming traffic and a highway you crossed, needed good specs to run.

Can't think o the name of it but I know it was a late 80's game and it ran somewhat smooth for PC.

Test Drive 1, 2, or 3?

5 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

Oh man... that sucks.

I'm having that same problem with the Dungeons & Dragons Gold Box Series game... Curse of the Azure Bonds. I'm pretty much at the end of the game... second to last battle... I win... and everything is jacked up... I literally cannot win the game. So I too have beaten that game with an "asterisk."

I did finish CotAB via Gog a couple years ago, but I had to restart a bunch of times because there was a bug w/ some magic item when carrying characters over from Pool of Radiance with certain stats.  As soon as you equipped whatever it was (Gauntlet of Ogre Power or something) one of your stats would be permanently low or negative or something like that for that character.  It took a long time to figure out what the problem was.  Fortunately it was something you acquired it fairly early so I never lost more than an hour or two.

Spoiler for the final battle you didn't get to play:

Spoiler

You just run from the room in the combat sequence at the very end.  Escaping the room wins the game, there's nothing else you can do, you just have to get out alive.

Edited by BydoEmpire
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Leeroy ST said:

Think that depends on the genre of gaming.

18 hours ago, BydoEmpire said:

I did finish CotAB via Gog a couple years ago, but I had to restart a bunch of times because there was a bug w/ some magic item when carrying characters over from Pool of Radiance with certain stats.  As soon as you equipped whatever it was (Gauntlet of Ogre Power or something) one of your stats would be permanently low or negative or something like that for that character.  It took a long time to figure out what the problem was.  Fortunately it was something you acquired it fairly early so I never lost more than an hour or two.

Spoiler for the final battle you didn't get to play:

Hide contents

You just run from the room in the combat sequence at the very end.  Escaping the room wins the game, there's nothing else you can do, you just have to get out alive.

This is EXACTLY the problem I had too!!!

Can I ask... if my characters are jacked up in Curse of the Azure Bonds, will they also be jacked up when I transfer them to Secret of the Silver Blades?

A lot of people hate SotSB... but that's one of my favorites out of all of them (though POOLRAD is still my all-time favorite).

But yes! That is exactly the problem I had.

For what it's worth though, I manage to win that battle (tried re-doing it several times). I would start with some well-placed fireballs over by the senior leadership, and then my guys would just hack away at all the crap / riff-raff in the front. I'd make it out with at least half my party still alive.

Man, I totally feel like playing Secret of the Silver Blades right now...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

This is EXACTLY the problem I had too!!!

Can I ask... if my characters are jacked up in Curse of the Azure Bonds, will they also be jacked up when I transfer them to Secret of the Silver Blades?

A lot of people hate SotSB... but that's one of my favorites out of all of them (though POOLRAD is still my all-time favorite).

But yes! That is exactly the problem I had.

For what it's worth though, I manage to win that battle (tried re-doing it several times). I would start with some well-placed fireballs over by the senior leadership, and then my guys would just hack away at all the crap / riff-raff in the front. I'd make it out with at least half my party still alive.

Man, I totally feel like playing Secret of the Silver Blades right now...

I'm playing through SotSB now!  I'm really enjoying it, but it's not quite as clear what to do next without the hint book, the maps are huge.  I still have the original manual, journal and clue book from the 80s, I think I bought it for c64 at the time but never got very far.

Unfortunately the laptop I played CotAB on was stolen, and i didn't have cloud saves at the time so I didn't transfer characters.  I don't know about taking them forward, I just created new ones.

• Like 2

CotAB is VERY buggy, but I was able to complete it without much problem (luckily).  Those ioun stones you can equip can cause all sorts of problems, and you are better off just not using them at all.

I simply could not defeat the final battle legitimately.  I had rolled my party honestly in PoR and carried them over to CotAB, so several characters were quite weak.  The final battle would start the same every time I tried: my two magic users would be killed in the first round with lightning bolts before I could do anything, and if really don't think the combat can be won without spellcasting.  I ended up using the dust of disappearance, which made the final battle trivial.  It felt cheap, but I was fine with that haha.

• Like 2