IGNORED

The largest and best Atari 2600 painting in my collection

Buyatari

Several years ago I had the opportunity to purchase an original Atari painting from Cliff Spohn and I jumped on it. Of the 20-30 original Atari paintings in my collection this one has to be my favorite. Not only is it great image but this painting is huge. See the dollar bill for size comparison. This image was used for a scorepad and in one of the early game catalogs.

http://atariage.com/magazines/magazine_page.html?MagazineID=5&CurrentPage=14

193688313_dcd715dada.jpg

Cliff is selling prints and shower curtains of this image on his website if you are interested.

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/ahta-dee-or-atari-a-self-portrait-cliff-spohn.html

Here is the original.

image.jpg2_zpsciokft8u.jpg

• Like 12

Cool!

I like how there is more detail in the original; the sides were seriously cropped for the catalogue.

Do you have the space to display it, or is it in storage somewhere?

I have had to pass on several nice works of art (albeit none Atari-related) just because they were too big for the space I have available to display and/or store them.

Cool!

I like how there is more detail in the original; the sides were seriously cropped for the catalogue.

Do you have the space to display it, or is it in storage somewhere?

I have had to pass on several nice works of art (albeit none Atari-related) just because they were too big for the space I have available to display and/or store them.

Large paintings are hard to work with sometimes. Not Atari related but my largest videogame painting (11th hour) is 9 by 5 FEET and it hangs portrait. You would need a large wall space and a high ceiling for it. This one is large but I should be able to make it work somewhere. It is just a matter of having it framed.

Right now I just have two paintings hanging up here at the office but neither one is for an Atari 2600 game.

yauxnqn.jpg?1

1wk1Nd4.jpg?1

• Like 3

Wow, I love that Atari artwork. Thanks for sharing!

Did you acquire a large portion of your collection in one purchase or did you just buy individual pieces over time?

I've been collecting for a long time. Multiple purchases over many years from all over the world.

These 3 pieces were each separate purchases.

If you are interested to read more. Here is a link to someone talking about the Wolfenstein painting when it was up on eBay for auction.

http://www.apl2bits.net/2011/02/14/castle-wolfenstein-artwork-auction/

• Like 1

I'm awestruck by that Dragon's Fury piece, just wonderful! Where / how did you come by that?

Dragon's Fury is a piece I painstakingly tracked down. Dragon's Fury and Dragon's Crush are my favorite console pinball games.

Of the two games I prefer the art on this one. It was a private sale that took a year or two to pull off. Lucky for me it came already framed so on the wall it went.

Here is a better picture.

IlFiLP9.jpg

Edited by Buyatari
  • Like 3

Wow, great pic! And congrats to you for the success after all your efforts!!

I also love Dragon's Crush / Fury dearly (Alien Crush etc), and always loved the box art for that on the Genesis. Great find, and I love the frame too. Wonderful!

It is a great image. The one thing that always bothered me about it , however, is that dragon arm holding the ball.

Where exactly does it connect with the dragon? It looks like it is growing out of his lower jaw. It also looks like it is a left arm drawn on the right side. Everything else looks great so I can't help but wonder if they had the illustrator add that detail of the dragon holding the ball after the piece was mostly finished.

Edited by Buyatari
  • Like 1