IGNORED

Unicycle Balloon Kicker

darryl1970

I was bored, so I drew a KickMan uni-cyclist for the VCS. Since I had that sprite, I decided to draw a balloon.

Since I had a cyclist and a balloon, I decided to animate them. I then added the moving balloons and ability to kick.

Since I had the animation, I decided to add a simple tune.

Since I had all of that, I decided to add a background.

Here is a very, simple version of a balloon-popping uni-cyclist.

Enjoy. I am not sure if I want to keep working on this or not. It could be a fun game, but the rules are pretty advanced for the VCS.

I KNOW this is missing a lot from the KickMan rule set. I imagine it could be difficult to add missing elements.

Some rules that would need added:

1. Pick balloons from bottom row.
  2. multi-color balloons with different speeds.
  3. balloon collision with rider
  4. ability to stack balloons on later levels
  5. need to "pop" balloons when stacked too high.
  6. falling balloon collision with stacked balloons
  7. characters to "eat" balloons (like Pac-Man & Monsters for points)
  8. ability to kick character, such as Pac-Man, back into the balloon stacks.
  9. Since there are only 6 balloons, the rules would probably have to be so many sets of 6 per level.
  10. Bonus rounds?
  11. Better music
  12. Multiple falling balloons on higher levels

(At least this version is ALREADY better than the lame C-64 version -- HAHA!)

...And NO; I can't "fix" the flicker. It's a VCS.

KickMan_V1.003.bin

post-13491-0-30640900-1471624402_thumb.jpg

Edited by darryl1970
  • Like 4

Oh very cool!

Great start on what you have the movement and "physics" of the balloon bouncing feels really good!

I'd love to see this progress to a full game. I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate the classic arcade action even if it was a derivative style game and not a 1:1 Kickman Port.

I dunno if bBasic can do like inline assembly or whatever, but I coded a Kernel that can handle flickerless balloons. It'd be great if we could combine them.

Update: I thought the balloons moved in kickman, so I added a bit of movement to the test kernel.

Update Again: I need to stop and work on some other stuff. xD But I updated it to be 8 balloons like the arcade and multi-colours.

post-23974-0-77387100-1471656152_thumb.png

KickmanMultiColourMovement.bin

Edited by Jinroh
  • Like 3

Sweet! I'd gladly help out. I have a soft spot for Kickman. I didn't play it a lot, but I played one game that got me into a little trouble. I was late getting home, because I couldn't seem to lose. The game stated acting weird, and then it actually reset. in looking back, I assume that was the "kill screen". I didn't actually work out any physics in this version, but I do remember some key points.

Oh very cool!

Great start on what you have the movement and "physics" of the balloon bouncing feels really good!

I'd love to see this progress to a full game. I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate the classic arcade action even if it was a derivative style game and not a 1:1 Kickman Port.

I dunno if bBasic can do like inline assembly or whatever, but I coded a Kernel that can handle flickerless balloons. It'd be great if we could combine them.

Update: I thought the balloons moved in kickman, so I added a bit of movement to the test kernel.

Update Again: I need to stop and work on some other stuff. xD But I updated it to be 8 balloons like the arcade and multi-colours.

attachicon.gifKickmanMultiColourMovement.png

• Like 1