IGNORED

Midwest Gaming Classic April 7th-9th,2017

Dan Iacovelli

Get the word out MGC dates set for April 7th to 9th ,2017 for more information http://midwestgamingclassic.com

I won't ask for help for jagfest section yet, have to make sure I'm able to go,plus might have other plans for mgc.

plus its too early to tell. when I'm ready for helpers I'll post a new topic as well as mention on avc online forum.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would like to see the retro computing + retro console room to expand. It hath expanded compared to previous years, now taking over the former arcade hall section. Nowhere to go but up.

There's really no more room to expand. We're also not a high priority compared to the rest of the show I'm afraid.

I would like to see the retro computing + retro console room to expand. It hath expanded compared to previous years, now taking over the former arcade hall section. Nowhere to go but up.

There's really no more room to expand. We're also not a high priority compared to the rest of the show I'm afraid.

^This. Until we get a new venue, there's really nowhere to go--unless we start stacking our displays up vertically and go literally up the walls. :P We've already got an entire ballroom and the hall in front of it, which is still bigger than it sounds. The venue's really holding us back though, and is a big reason why MGC (unfairly) doesn't get as much respect around here as PRGE.

Incidentally, I have been toying with the idea of actually bringing less. It's a bit of a pain bringing six or seven or eight different systems, with accessories, power supplies, TVs and monitors, etc. And I've been finding that most of my stuff either gets broken (two years in a row for the disk drive on my Compaq), misused (people turning my computers off/on when they don't know what to do :roll:; under-supervised children pounding on my Intellivision music keyboard), generally ignored apart from a brief "huh, look at that weird old thing," or it's too obtuse and people simply don't get it. NObody can figure out how to use the Studio II or even Aquarius, even with clearly printed directions (which they don't read) or overlays (which they don't notice). Plus some of this stuff has gotten a little delicate and pretty expensive to replace.

What I want to do instead is have stuff like the Bally, Fairchild, Studio II, etc. in a group display behind a plastic shield or something, with placards featuring the main bullet points of each system and some screenshots to kind of demonstrate the progression of the early systems, and set them up individually on request so people who are actually interested can check them out firsthand.

What I want to do instead is have stuff like the Bally, Fairchild, Studio II, etc. in a group display behind a plastic shield or something, with placards featuring the main bullet points of each system and some screenshots to kind of demonstrate the progression of the early systems, and set them up individually on request so people who are actually interested can check them out firsthand.

That's an interesting idea. I've witnessed the same behavior with my systems. Break a $30 NES and no one cares, break a $600 Sorcerer and I'm going to be a bit upset. People always seem to figure out where the reset button is for some reason which requires 20+ min of reloading the game to get it running again only to have the same thing happen. People are getting worse in my opinion, especially on family day when they bring in unsupervised 5 year olds to wail on your stuff. Also, some of my systems are a bit obtuse and require some expatiation .

• Like 1

People are getting worse in my opinion, especially on family day when they bring in unsupervised 5 year olds to wail on your stuff.

Family Day, oh my god. It's a great thing for the show, but as a museum exhibitor, I loathe it. Sooo many bored and overstimulated children running around. Even the groups of 20-somethings taking ironic pics with the Video Brain (or whatever) and making shit up about it (or just making fun of it) to sound cool in front of their friends while waiting for the NeoGeo to open up don't rate as highly on the list of things that irritate me on Family Day.

Fortunately, the people who actually want to learn something, try something they've never seen or heard of before, reminisce about systems they had decades ago, chat me up about the finer points of [insert system/game], or just get a taste of what early gaming was like, they make it worth it. They tend to mostly appear on Saturday, though. ;)

Even the groups of 20-somethings taking ironic pics with the Video Brain (or whatever) and making shit up about it (or just making fun of it) to sound cool in front of their friends while waiting for the NeoGeo to open up don't rate as highly on the list of things that irritate me on Family Day.

I only like the Videobrain ironically.

• Like 1

I'll be there once again this year with the Lego NES and perhaps some other cool projects as well. :)

Dunno how I missed this, especially since IIRC you had it in the NA room and that was right next to our benheck show/modding/hackerspace room.

RE: The venue, even though there's hardly any space to move sometimes, I love the Sheraton Location. My health is pretty garbage and it's convenient to just walk down the stairs/take the elevator and be right in the middle of everything instead of having to walk/drive even across a street. I doubt they will change locations until a hybrid hotel/convention center is built, especially with the late night/afterparties. Probably Typical Wisconsin but I'd figure the DUI rate would quadruple.

WOzPcjB.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I need to get some signs made telling about the systems and how to play the game I have loaded. I still need to figure out what I'm bringing this year as well.

I'm not sure I'd even bother with instruction signs. I used to have one with the Studio II when it was in the Underdog Chamber and people ignored it. :/

I definitely know I'm bringing only one TV. I'm thinking I'm just going to focus on creating a display with systems originating in the '70s only--I'm thinking a couple Pong/Odyssey variants, a Video Pinball, Channel F, Studio II, VCS, Odyssey 2, and Bally Arcade. Maybe with some cards with basic information about each one (maybe with a trivia factoid or something interesting), and I'll hook them up on request.

I'm going to skip the Aquarius because both of mine seem to have issues that make the system freak out when a Mini Expander (and therefore game controllers) is connected to it--IIRC the diagnostic program on my Aquaricart indicated some bad RAM. And I'm sure someone will bring an Intellivision anyway.

I'm going to skip the Compaq Portable because people keep breaking the latches on the damn disk drives every year and I'm out of replacements.

The Tandy 2 (TRS-80 Model II) was an interesting experiment, being able to show off 8" floppy disks, but ultimately pointless since I have nothing resembling "entertainment software" for it, so that one will stay home as well. Plus it's frickin' huge and heavy.

I'll still do the TRS-80 MC-10 for Sean because it's tiny so why not? :P

Edited by BassGuitari
  • Like 1

Can you bring your Zenith green screen for my Sorcerer? I still want to get that off you somehow. :)

I'll probably be bringing the following (based on room)

Videobrain

Sorcerer

Arcadia 2001

MSX 2+

SV-328 (I have MUCH better games for it this year)

• Like 1

I gotta get off my duff & test out my 2 ColecoVisions & Inty 1 if I want to consider selling them. Time for me to cut back a bit on my collection, as I'm running out of space in my home entertainment center. Really, I don't need 3 CVs. One good one works.

• Like 1

I wouldn't hold my breath on any VIC-20 stuff turning up at MGC, but you never know.

You should hit up AAer Cvga. Here's his sale thread. I've bought from him a few times and can't recommend him enough! Really great guy. :)

Yeah, they're a pretty rare find at MGC. I think I've maybe found a couple of carts in the past, but not much. So if anybody's got a Robotron or Galaxian to sell... ;)