IGNORED

Is Iron Soldier as good as the cover looks?

Buyatari

I've owned this original painting for around 10 years now and it is one of my favorite Atari items.

Honestly, I've never played the game but the cover image for this one is just so awesome it can not be ignored.

I'm afraid to play it at this point for fear it won't live up to the awesomeness of the cover image.

So speak up Jag fans. Do I have anything to fear? I haven't even looked at Youtube video footage for fear it will ruin things for me.

Here is the original painting.

Iron_Soldier.jpg

• Like 1

I'm not the biggest fan of Iron Soldier. It is a neat concept but I have a difficult time getting into the primitive 3D games. It suffered from a pretty bad frame rate if I remember also.

That being said that is a really awesome collectible piece to have! How did you come across it?

Great game (and its sequel) all around and no, it doesn't suffer from a poor frame rate like most of the Jag's other 3D games. This one is smooth as butter comparatively. Opening screen when you first boot the game is almost as gorgeous as the concept art above too. :love:

post-13896-0-77896700-1471659848_thumb.jpeg post-13896-0-90070800-1471659857_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

I'm not the biggest fan of Iron Soldier. It is a neat concept but I have a difficult time getting into the primitive 3D games. It suffered from a pretty bad frame rate if I remember also.

That being said that is a really awesome collectible piece to have! How did you come across it?

This one came from a former Atari employee who worked on the project.

It's actually a fun game. No, it does not look like the cover.

Well, kind of, but 10x less resolution. It uses typical blocky gouraud shaded polygons...

I didn't expect that it would look like the cover.

What I meant was that the cover image has to be one of the best for the system or say a 9/10 if ranked on its own.

How does the game rank with Jag fans?

If the game is say a 4/10 then I don't want to play it because then I would enjoy the artwork less.

So far looks like some don't care for it and others do.

Great game (and its sequel) all around and no, it doesn't suffer from a poor frame rate like most of the Jag's other 3D games. This one is smooth as butter comparatively. Opening screen when you first boot the game is almost as gorgeous as the concept art above too. :love:

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

These are nice. Thanks for sharing.

What an odd question. Check out the reviews, both IS and IS are consistently in the top ten of 'best Jaguar games' lists.

The frame rate in both games is very smooth, with only the occasional stutter when explosions are happening. Consistently in the 20s, possibly 30fps at times.

The missions are challenging, especially in IS2. I've finished the original IS only once. Controls can be confusing at first, but with the keypad overlay it makes sense.

It's a good game. It's cheap (even sealed). Just go out and buy out then play it. Lots.

Nice poster BTW ;)

Edited by skip
  • Like 2

Iron Soldier and Iron Soldier 2 are great games in my opinion. It's a hell of a lot of fun destroying an entire city. If you really want to have more fun, put the cheats in and go nuts without worrying about ammo or health! Firing missiles as fast as you can and watching buildings explode in the distance is some of the most fun you can have on the Jaguar.

• Like 2

I don't see how playing a game can ruin a piece of art you own unless the point of this thread was just to show that you own that painting. It's an early 3D flat shaded game on the Jag, if you're expecting something that looks like a PS2 game then yes you will be disappointed.

• Like 4

Iron Soldier has always been boxy, but it was fun when it was new. There's nothing else that's exactly quite like it, except for the sequels.

It's still fun in a giant-robot-stompy kind of way. I think the art does justice to the game, and vice versa. Just make sure you read the manual before you play, so you have an idea of what you're doing.

• Like 1

And for completeness, don't forget IS 3 on PS1 (and Nuon). I have the Nuon version, and have just ordered a complete PS1 version from eBay (there's quite a few available). It's a good game, albeit incrementally more difficult (IMHO) than its predecessors.

Edit: Back in the day Atari, for whatever reason, sold a poster of this game (and maybe AvP too?) but not many other games. I never got a copy :( It's based on your painting.

post-31639-0-90168900-1471676351_thumb.jpg

Edited by skip
  • Like 1

And for completeness, don't forget IS 3 on PS1 (and Nuon). I have the Nuon version, and have just ordered a complete PS1 version from eBay (there's quite a few available). It's a good game, albeit incrementally more difficult (IMHO) than its predecessors.

Edit: Back in the day Atari, for whatever reason, sold a poster of this game (and maybe AvP too?) but not many other games. I never got a copy :( It's based on your painting.

I have Iron Soldier 3 for Nuon also and I really enjoy it. Plays smooth and looks pretty good too. I like the weather changes that occur and I like being able to pick different mechs right off the bat. The effects look really good in my opinion.

IS And IS2 are both great games. Smooth good draw distance. Lots of people will get it thinking fast paced fps action and be disappointed by the rather slow (but can quickly become hectic) pace. But you know you ARE a huge robot (mech?) So imo it feels right. You start out get your mech. Deck it out in various weapons pick a level and go tromping through the landscape shooting tanks planes and buildings. And yes all vehicles and structures are destructable. A rarety even in the vast majority of modern games.

Its a great game and one of my faves for the jag. Just know that you are rather slow and can easily be swamped by enemies even if you know what your doing (just less so then) but you haven't lived till you stepped on a house or punched an office building to death. :)

• Like 2

Iron Soldier is simply superb.

Whilst it might not look as pretty as say 32X Metal Head,it's by far the better Mech game, due to the way you really do feel your piloting a walking gun emplacement.

Mechs are meant to be hulking, lumbering giants,so your not expecting the frame rate you'd hope to find in say an F1 Racing game.

It's all about the feeling of utter destruction..tanks are mere insects time be crushed underfoot,choppers swatted out the sky etc..

Your Mecha-King Kong with a Gatling Gun and Grenade launcher...:-)

As for not even looking at YT etc just because you own the fantastic painting, that did make me smile..

Each to their own, but it's like saying i'm afraid to meet the Queen as her face is on the money in my pocket and my stamps..:-)

The I.S series are simply the best Mech games on console..they won't convert you, if your not into that genre, but they'll delight you if you are...

I don't see how playing a game can ruin a piece of art you own unless the point of this thread was just to show that you own that painting. It's an early 3D flat shaded game on the Jag, if you're expecting something that looks like a PS2 game then yes you will be disappointed.

It is a serious question. I'm not one to shy away from a brag thread if I have an exceptional item like this.

The game is cheap and these days that usually means it isn't very good. If you are mostly a gamer then it can seem like a silly question. If you a gamer and there is a game out there then you play it but it isn't always that way with me and I guess I should explain a bit.

Years and years ago (I'm talking rec classic gaming times) I purchased an Adventurevision. I'd wanted one for a long time and having played other Entex handhelds I'd built it up into a great machine in my mind. Entex Tron for example was one of the best handhelds I'd ever played. Crazy Climber is great too. Yet this Entex handheld was the one that everyone wanted. It had to be just as great if not better! After I finally picked up an Adventurevision which was a LOT of money for me at that time. I was shocked at how horrible it was. It was so bad as to be unplayable. A friend of mine also collected video games and I let him work it off mostly to be rid of it. Playing that system ruined the mystique or joy of ownership for me.

Still knowing most people consider it in the top 10 of Jag games is a good sign. Of all the Atari systems I have the least experience with the Jag. I've played 3 games ever if that on the system.Not because I've avoided it so much but it isn't common and often all I get is a red screen on the systems I did find. Somewhere I have a boxed system so hopefully it works fine. The game is cheap so I'm going to buy one and try this. In truth I would be ok with an ok game I just didn't want it to be unplayable put a bad taste in my mouth Adventurevision bad.

But if I'm only here to brag then here is another one I really enjoy. Ruiner Pinball :P

ruiner.jpg

Edited by Buyatari

I was told the poster was meant to mimic movie posters. Best Electronics sold them in the past along with the AvP poster for only 20 or 30 bucks. Not sure if they still have them.

I like Ruiner Pinball, as.. err.. my signature currently states. That piece of art's cools. = )

Current favorites on Jaguar: Another World, Club Drive, Kasumi Ninja, Ruiner Pinball, Xenon 2: Megablast

Another world? They released another world for Jaguar?

The same game from Sega Genesis or something else?

Another world? They released another world for Jaguar?

The same game from Sega Genesis or something else?

A company from France ported it recently to the Jaguar. Its a professionally made port as well in all aspects. I was late in the game finding out myself but still requested to be on the waiting list for my copy of the game. I was like #180 something....but I got an email and have it now. Theres a thread about the game with their contact info, you might still have a chance to get it. Great artwork btw...I am jealous.

Glad to hear that you're going to get the game as it is a really good game for the Jag. Hopefully one day you can get your hands on a JagCD unit and try IS2 or maybe you'll find one of the fairly rare cart versions. I played IS2 again last night and sometimes I forget how beautiful the game is and how smooth it runs. But the original IS is no slouch and is a definite must play in my opinion. I'm being sincere when I say that there is so much fun to be had especially when using the cheats and simply destroying an entire city, tree's and all!

Glad to hear that you're going to get the game as it is a really good game for the Jag. Hopefully one day you can get your hands on a JagCD unit and try IS2 or maybe you'll find one of the fairly rare cart versions. I played IS2 again last night and sometimes I forget how beautiful the game is and how smooth it runs. But the original IS is no slouch and is a definite must play in my opinion. I'm being sincere when I say that there is so much fun to be had especially when using the cheats and simply destroying an entire city, tree's and all!

Now that is all anyone has to say ! Destroying an entire city sounds right up my alley. Last game I did that with was with the Destroy All Humans series. While many dislike the series I really enjoyed them perhaps for this very reason.

I don't have a CD unit right now. Not sure that I ever had one now that I think about it. Still I have a feeling that I will pick one up to play Iron Soldier II assuming everything goes as planned.

As for Iron Soldier 3 ehh not as much interest but if I do play it then it will be on the PS1. I'm not buying a Nuon.