IGNORED

Is Iron Soldier as good as the cover looks?

Buyatari

For its day, IS was/is an awesome game. Other than maybe Highlander (a woefully underrated, ahead-of-its-time title IMO) this is the one game I spent the most time with on the Jag.

Many people have already commented on the smooth framerate, but the gameplay is really the star. Once you get the hang of walking and rotating your view simultaneously, it becomes super-fun. The explosions are great cranked over a nice stereo and it is satisfying as hell walking over and taking out a tank with your mech!

IS2 has some minor graphical improvements, maybe an extra weapon or two (?) but I honestly never finished the first game - its difficult enough as it is !

Well worth your time, in fact if you could only own five titles for the Jag I would say IS/IS2 had better be one of them.

• Like 2

Other than maybe Highlander (a woefully underrated, ahead-of-its-time title IMO)

If it wasn't for the "IMO" I would definitely call you names :)

Highlander got any playtime just because there were only 13 titles total ..... so alone it represented 7.5% of the library .... and that's it.

EDIT: forgot to add IMO. It wouldn't be fair to make generalized statements when it comes to taste.

• Like 1

I think asides from the flat polygon look, Iron Soldier has aged pretty well. Few games actually managed to make you feel like you were inside a mech, and Iron Soldier is one of them. It's also pretty polished by Jag standards. The menu interface and level selection is nice, the music is solid (great title theme for the kind of game it is), and asides from some slowdown when you destroy a massive building, the framerate stays high. I wish more Jaguar games were like this in terms of delivery.

• Like 2

I remember at the time having some friends that made fun of Iron Soldier and stated how much better Metal Head for the 32X was because it looked more 'realistic". Even BattleCorps (I think that was the name) for the SegaCD was brought up as being better. They were major Sega fans and really didn't like the Jag, but they sure played the hell out of the game when we got together to have a few drinks!

I think asides from the flat polygon look, Iron Soldier has aged pretty well. Few games actually managed to make you feel like you were inside a mech, and Iron Soldier is one of them. It's also pretty polished by Jag standards. The menu interface and level selection is nice, the music is solid (great title theme for the kind of game it is), and asides from some slowdown when you destroy a massive building, the framerate stays high. I wish more Jaguar games were like this in terms of delivery.

My thoughts exactly.

Great paintings! Would it be possible to scan them in high resolution and provide the scans here?

These are too big to scan. Tim Laptino made two separate visits to take photographs of my collection for his book. I'm sure you will see some better quality images in his upcoming Art of Atari book.

Checkered Flag

http://m.imgur.com/NVot97g?r

Edited by Buyatari

WOW! Love the artwork. Thanks so much for sharing.

You've tempted me into buying the Art of Atari book. I'm going to have to buy it now!

Are these Atari Jaguar paintings airbrush?

Eli

Now that I'm awake I think you better check with Tim first.

He took lots of pictures even some non Atari pieces like Sonic etc but I think the book is mostly related to the 2600.

• 3 months later...

It is a serious question. I'm not one to shy away from a brag thread if I have an exceptional item like this.

The game is cheap and these days that usually means it isn't very good. If you are mostly a gamer then it can seem like a silly question. If you a gamer and there is a game out there then you play it but it isn't always that way with me and I guess I should explain a bit.

Years and years ago (I'm talking rec classic gaming times) I purchased an Adventurevision. I'd wanted one for a long time and having played other Entex handhelds I'd built it up into a great machine in my mind. Entex Tron for example was one of the best handhelds I'd ever played. Crazy Climber is great too. Yet this Entex handheld was the one that everyone wanted. It had to be just as great if not better! After I finally picked up an Adventurevision which was a LOT of money for me at that time. I was shocked at how horrible it was. It was so bad as to be unplayable. A friend of mine also collected video games and I let him work it off mostly to be rid of it. Playing that system ruined the mystique or joy of ownership for me.

You almost have to have one of these to know what Adam is talking about. I collect as well and I have 100% had greater appreciation for the art when I try the game for the first time and find it to be awesome. Haven't had any disappointments, but I don't play much these days either and I'm sure the reverse is true as Adam is implying (a terrible game might take a little of the shine off).

I'll post one too; Double Dragon V jaguar.

I've heard this game is terrible but I don't care. ;) I just won't play it hehehe

DSCN30830002.JPG

Edited by BrontyAA
  • Like 1

Iron Soldier is easily one of the best Jaguar games and in my opinion one of the best mech games I've ever played. It's easy to jump in and start demolishing things but there is also a depth to it that requires the proper equipment and tactics to complete the missions. There are multiple ways to finish each level and I really love games that have that open and non linear feeling. So yes, this wonderful game certainly lives up to the hype and expectations that the cover precedes.

• Like 1

Iron Soldier is awesome, good enough that I completed it back in the day. Unfortunately, I recently bought the second one and discovered that driving a mech and riding a bicycle are not the same and I am now terrible at it.

On another note, good to see I wasn't the only one who really liked Highlander. Granted I think one reason a lot of people thought it was terrible me is that it was based on the little known cartoon, not the Christopher Lambert movie. The cartoon itself was rather odd.

Can't speak for everyone, but I didn't care that Highlander was based on the goofy cartoon as much as the play mechanics and camera are broken. If your character (especially when fighting) responded to input the way you expect a game to behave, then even the horrible camera angles would not have been as big a deal. Coupled together, tough to forgive and tolerate and the game for all intents, deserves the reputation it has. Another case of woulda, coulda, shoulda for the Jag. :(

On another note, good to see I wasn't the only one who really liked Highlander. Granted I think one reason a lot of people thought it was terrible me is that it was based on the little known cartoon, not the Christopher Lambert movie. The cartoon itself was rather odd.

That's a ridiculous theory. People thought it was terrible because it was terrible. Low-poly untextured models, sluggish frame rate, clunky sword combat, confusing navigation, those damn snipers... ugh.

I still finished it multiple times though. Because "good enough that I completed it" is a nonsense phrase. More like "paid enough for that I completed it".

Edited by ZylonBane

Yeah, oddly the gameplay for that is almost exactly the same as any of the Resident Evil games with their awkward camera angles, and terrible controls, yet people find those games great. Robinson's Requiem is another great game, but on the Jaguar it's weird due to it normally being a mouse driven game.

Ha, you even admit that it was apparently good enough that you finished it multiple times! I have so many games to play I rarely finish any of them, let alone multiple times!

Ha, you even admit that it was apparently good enough that you finished it multiple times! I have so many games to play I rarely finish any of them, let alone multiple times!

Put more skill points into reading comprehension.

Jaguar gaming is very much a "beggars can't be choosers" landscape.

As fate would have it someone traded an Atari Jaguar and a few games into the store last week.

Before we could pay for the unit I had to test it out. Zool 2 seemed the easiest of the batch of games traded in to control.

My first impression of it was Sonic the Hedgehog with guns.

Iron Soldier was also included but I had trouble moving my mech. I could aim and shoot but movement was a problem.

No instructions so I'm hoping it was my lack of understanding and not the controller.

You almost have to have one of these to know what Adam is talking about. I collect as well and I have 100% had greater appreciation for the art when I try the game for the first time and find it to be awesome. Haven't had any disappointments, but I don't play much these days either and I'm sure the reverse is true as Adam is implying (a terrible game might take a little of the shine off).

I'll post one too; Double Dragon V jaguar.

I've heard this game is terrible but I don't care. ;) I just won't play it hehehe

DSCN30830002.JPG

Yes !

Finally another one surfaces but where are the rest of them?

It's not the keypad, although you can use it to switch to advanced controls. I assume the problem was not knowing that you have to hold one of the buttons together up and down to start moving forwards or backwards. But I'm sure the link to the manual was helpful.