IGNORED

Mockup of what MR. TURTLE might look like on intellivision

digress

Please don't read too much into this. This is just for fun. I just felt like drawing something in my approximation of intellivision graphics

160x96

16 colours

limited to 8 sprites -of 8x8 not sure about this can sprites be 8x16 pixels which would make a nice difference

tiles are 8x8 and less than 64 unique 2 colours per

here i updated it a little:

Here is the link the the 2020 contest which is the more updated version

Look I can still edit the first post. Here is the latest vid

• Like 6

Please don't read too much into this. This is just for fun. I just felt like drawing something in my approximation of intellivision graphics

160x96

16 colours

limited to 8 sprites -of 8x8 not sure about this can sprites be 8x16 pixels which would make a nice difference

tiles are 8x8 and less than 64 unique 2 colours per

Looks good, very stylish. :thumbsup:

Yes, sprites can be 8x16. When you say, "tiles are 8x8 and less than 64 unique 2 colours per," do you mean that you are using less than 64 unique custom tiles? It seems like there should be room for increased detail, especially in the background.

-dZ.

• Like 1

I updated the concept a little.

It would still be 8w by 16 H detail though I assume.

It's pretty cool once you try drawing within the limits it can produce some nice graphics. I always loved square pixels.

And using X stretch you can make a 16x16 from a 8x16 sprite

I added a short video of mr turtle running on intellivision in the first post. It's again just a test don't read too much into this.

Cool. Be aware there are lots of tricks to get rid of the flickering, you may only have 8 sprites, but there are advanced tricks with preshifted GRAM cards that would make the shark and especially the fish flicker-free.

If you do jump into porting this to the Intellivision, several of us will be happy to help so you don't have to learn the hard way ;)

I'm sure I would have lots of questions.

I have only played around for 2 days with this. I don't even know how to erase a tile from the screen without redrawing the whole screen.

-how would one erase a tile from the screen just 1 say if i ate a fish or say erase the shark 6x2 and redraw it somewhere else.

I tried printing what appeared to be a solid square block to replace the bg or an empty block to replace the bg but kept getting solid green instead of the original blue. I'm sure it'll make sense soon enough if i toy with a bit more.

-i don't understand the color yet . I was having a hell of a time trying to get the shark to appear as white/grey on blue bg same as the illustration above. I got this green on blue which at least looks like the shark. but got inverse shark whenever I tried to print using the original colours of white/tan.

I think I got the sprites down pat now though. So that's one thing.

Cool. Be aware there are lots of tricks to get rid of the flickering, you may only have 8 sprites, but there are advanced tricks with preshifted GRAM cards that would make the shark and especially the fish flicker-free.

If you do jump into porting this to the Intellivision, several of us will be happy to help so you don't have to learn the hard way ;)

Box & overlays? optimistic are we. I did make these a couple of years ago. But i'm just messing around right now. I got another game to finish i just needed a mental break from. but I keep playing with this project a bit more yet.

IMG 1397

IMG 1389

What do the box and overlays look like? ;)

That worked. Thanks.

I got a bit of a scroll working too (see updated first post). Lot's of problems but pretty cool too.

Having a hard time with tile collisions for replacement of say a fish that was eaten. I'm getting there though. ALready went further than I expected to.

You use the same card number as background. The bit fields are described in the IntyBASIC manual. This is for MODE 1

PRINT AT 20,$0200

• Like 1

It would still be 8w by 16 H detail though I assume.

Yes, the sprites are limited to either 8x8 or 8x16 pixels of detail. Vertically, the pixels can be stretched 0.5x, 1x, 2x, 4x, and horizontally they can be 1x or 2x.

When I say 0.5x for the vertical, I mean an 8x8 sprite would be half as tall as an 8x8 background card. At one point, I had started to write up a bunch of documentation for the IntelliWiki, and drew some diagrams demonstrating the MOBs. You can see them on the Unused Files page at the Wiki, down at the bottom: http://wiki.intellivision.us/index.php?title=Special:UnusedFiles

The diagrams helpfully indicate the XSize and YSize settings for the different stretch amounts.

• Like 1

Yes, the sprites are limited to either 8x8 or 8x16 pixels of detail. Vertically, the pixels can be stretched 0.5x, 1x, 2x, 4x, and horizontally they can be 1x or 2x.

When I say 0.5x for the vertical, I mean an 8x8 sprite would be half as tall as an 8x8 background card. At one point, I had started to write up a bunch of documentation for the IntelliWiki, and drew some diagrams demonstrating the MOBs. You can see them on the Unused Files page at the Wiki, down at the bottom: http://wiki.intellivision.us/index.php?title=Special:UnusedFiles

The diagrams helpfully indicate the XSize and YSize settings for the different stretch amounts.

Also, if you install the IntyBASIC SDK, it comes with the "IntyB Demo" program which shows you (graphically and in its source code) the various features of the Intellivision supported by IntyBASIC, including MOB scaling.

I really recommend taking a look at the demo source code.

-dZ.

• Like 1

Thanks guys . I did look into the samples provided or I would not have gotten anywhere. Great stuff.

I got the sprites down pat now. I think I understand the collisions with other sprites.

I'm trying to figure out collisions with tiles. So I can stop the fish & shark from swimming through solid rocks.

I wanted to add. Man it's hard to make intybasic fail to compile compared to c++. Almost everything I've tried compiled . It's a very pleasant change. I mean I managed to screw it up a few times but it's very forgiving language

Also, if you install the IntyBASIC SDK, it comes with the "IntyB Demo" program which shows you (graphically and in its source code) the various features of the Intellivision supported by IntyBASIC, including MOB scaling.

I really recommend taking a look at the demo source code.

-dZ.

That reminds me, I need to finish Inty B Part 2

Thanks guys . I did look into the samples provided or I would not have gotten anywhere. Great stuff.

I got the sprites down pat now. I think I understand the collisions with other sprites.

I'm trying to figure out collisions with tiles. So I can stop the fish & shark from swimming through solid rocks.

I wanted to add. Man it's hard to make intybasic fail to compile compared to c++. Almost everything I've tried compiled . It's a very pleasant change. I mean I managed to screw it up a few times but it's very forgiving language

I wouldn't necessarily use MOB to background collisions for what you are doing. Software calculations based on MOB x/y versus looking what card is in front of the MOB (or under the MOB)

nanochess gave a recent example here(in this case not colliding with a wall:)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/255985-intellivision-celery/?do=findComment&comment=3574519

It shows how to calculate a comparison of mob's coordinates (0-150x0-95 CeleryX, CeleryY) and a card slot (0-19 x 0-11)

and there are others scattered thru other threads, usually game specific ones.

Further to this is a trick to get better vertical control of a mob:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/240543-what-can-an-intellivision-do/?do=findComment&comment=3278344

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/240543-what-can-an-intellivision-do/?do=findComment&comment=3278347

That makes good sense. though the coordinates at 0-95 I can move it 0-191 this way seentially.

I base all the characters even the tile based on 160x96 coordinates and just use the /8 when moving the tile based. I find it easier for timing by just adding +1 or -1 to the x or y and it'll move across the screen at the same speed as the MOB even if it shifts 8 at a time.

I did find the tile look up example that you mentioned. It was giving me a compile error though . I did switch the CELERYY to my Y1 and X1 Respectively. I'll look at it again.

>>>>

IF dir=0 AND CONT1.UP THEN
#card = #backtab((CELERYY - 8 - 8 ) / 8 * 20 + (CELERYX - 8 ) / 8 ) AND $0FF8
IF #card = 274 * 8 OR #card = 278 * 8 THEN CELERYY=CELERYY-8: DIR=5
END IF

I found KiWi's suggestion seemed to work. I've not really spent enough time with either method to be sure. I'll try them out today and see if I can get good results.

>>>>

Using #TileID=PEEK $0200+(stickmanX/8)+((stickmanY/8)*20) should get you the value of the card your character is on. If I remembered that the screen data starts at address $0200. Then after that do an if statement like 'if TileID=#0301 then stickmanX=stickmanX-1.

IF dir=0 AND CONT1.UP THEN #card = #backtab((CELERYY - 8 - 8) / 8 * 20 + (CELERYX - 8) / 8) AND $0FF8 IF #card = 274 * 8 OR #card = 278 * 8 THEN CELERYY=CELERYY-8: DIR=5 END IF IF dir=0 AND CONT1.DOWN THEN #card = #backtab((CELERYY - 8 + 8) / 8 * 20 + (CELERYX - 8) / 8) AND $0FF8 IF #card = 274 * 8 OR #card = 278 * 8 THEN CELERYY=CELERYY+8: DIR=5 END IF IF dir=0 AND CONT1.LEFT THEN #card = #backtab((CELERYY - 8) / 8 * 20 + (CELERYX - 8 - 8) / 8) AND $0FF8 IF #card = 274 * 8 OR #card = 278 * 8 THEN CELERYX=CELERYX-8: DIR=5 END IF IF dir=0 AND CONT1.RIGHT THEN #card = #backtab((CELERYY - 8) / 8 * 20 + (CELERYX - 8 + 8) / 8) AND $0FF8 IF #card = 274 * 8 OR #card = 278 * 8 THEN CELERYX=CELERYX+8: DIR=5 END IF wait

You'll have to park many of your favorite ColecoVision techniques at the door but you'll enjoy yourself doing it thanks to IntyBASIC.

Another trick you'll want to learn is used by Worm Womper for the many moving critters...they aren't MOBs, but pre-shifted GRAM cards.

[Click to animate]

post-38229-0-31702000-1471970087_thumb.gif

This is from a long time ago so isn't optimized by any means, but shows the MOBless technique.

post-38229-0-69971500-1471970087.png

You can also mass change/animate large areas by DEFINE/DEFINE ALTERNATE a gram card or two like the waterfalls in the ZYX video I posted last weekend.

Another trick is plan ahead and break up your 64 cards into logical sets of stuff

For Example:

0-9 mob characters for player (and the effectiveness can be extended by redefining cards on the fly, say walking animation vs falling, only one animation set needs to be in the GRAM at a time)

11-20 visible enemies (same trick as above)

21-63-background cards.

In this case, limit your screens drawn in a paint program to 40ish unique cards.

Using IntyColor, you can make a bunch of different backgrounds, each with different card sets for slots 21-63, use the parameter -o21 when generating the screens so you won't have worry about interfering with the first 20 cards reserved for player and critters.

Awsome. it's very different for sure but like many I started programming in basic, gw-basic- qbasic quick basic visual basic etc. so

It's nice. I still miss line numbers :(

You'll have to park many of your favorite ColecoVision techniques at the door but you'll enjoy yourself doing it thanks to IntyBASIC.

Another trick you'll want to learn is used by Worm Womper for the many moving critters...they aren't MOBs, but pre-shifted GRAM cards.

[Click to animate]

attachicon.gifrocks.gif

This is from a long time ago so isn't optimized by any means, but shows the MOBless technique.

attachicon.gifRocksgrid.png

You can also mass change/animate large areas by DEFINE/DEFINE ALTERNATE a gram card or two like the waterfalls in the ZYX video I posted last weekend.

Another trick is plan ahead and break up your 64 cards into logical sets of stuff

For Example:

0-9 mob characters for player (and the effectiveness can be extended by redefining cards on the fly, say walking animation vs falling, only one animation set needs to be in the GRAM at a time)

11-20 visible enemies (same trick as above)

21-63-background cards.

In this case, limit your screens drawn in a paint program to 40ish unique cards.

Using IntyColor, you can make a bunch of different backgrounds, each with different card sets for slots 21-63, use the parameter -o21 when generating the screens so you won't have worry about interfering with the first 20 cards reserved for player and critters.

Oh god, no to line numbers.

Gosub ProcName is way more usable... ;)

As is using Notepad++ and using the Visual Basic setting under the Language menu

Some one with more time should create an IntyBASIC config

I have one for EditPlus. I believe I also have one for TextMate for the Mac.