IGNORED

Battle of the Ports

Ooh, nice Sidewinder joystick in the thumbnail pic. I heard PC gaming is getting big in Japan, especially with lots of JRPG's on Steam now...

Hmm, bigger than it was but it's still miles behind console gaming.

This week on Battle of the Ports we take a look at Virtua Cop 2. can the Saturn still keep up? Is the Dreamcast version better than the PlayStation 2? Let's find out.

• Like 1

Loved the show although you left out a few official versions by Atarisoft for the PC and TI-99, but I understand you were constrained for time. In regards to the Apple II version looking nicer than most Atarisoft ports, that's because it wasn't programmed by Atarisoft. It was an unofficial clone called Taxman by HAL Labs that Atarisoft acquired and rebranded as Pac-Man.

• Like 2

Wow, this was a big one to cover. Pac-Man has so many ports plus loads of unofficial ports too. Let's take a look at a load of them.

I just want to pop in and let you know that I love your series! I watch them while exercising and the commentary is top notch. I have even picked up a few of the ports that you reviewed. I'd say my favorite so far was the Space Harrier one.

• Like 1

Loved the show although you left out a few official versions by Atarisoft for the PC and TI-99, but I understand you were constrained for time. In regards to the Apple II version looking nicer than most Atarisoft ports, that's because it wasn't programmed by Atarisoft. It was an unofficial clone called Taxman by HAL Labs that Atarisoft acquired and rebranded as Pac-Man.

Yeah, it stinks the way AtariSoft basically stole other people's work them sold it off as their own. I wonder in Namco knew about their practice?

I just want to pop in and let you know that I love your series! I watch them while exercising and the commentary is top notch. I have even picked up a few of the ports that you reviewed. I'd say my favorite so far was the Space Harrier one.

Cheers, Yoshi. It's always nice to hear nice comments from fans of the show. Space Harrier (the remade show) was also one of my favorites to make. I love Space Harrier as it was the first game to really wow me back in the day.

Heheh. Speaking of Space Harrier, I wish I hadn't slipped, dropped and effed up my Android tablet because man, that "Travelshooting JP" owned.

Sorry to hear that. Travel Shooting JP is a great Space Harrier inspired game. Have you tried the OutRun one called Final Freeway and Final Freeway 2?

Yeah, it stinks the way AtariSoft basically stole other people's work them sold it off as their own. I wonder in Namco knew about their practice?

Well it was an unauthorized port. From what I heard they told them that they could either be sued or sell it to them for a 'fair price'.

The PC version was done by a husband and wife team who later got divorced. I think I found the husbands page about it somewhere a long time ago. Their names are in the code I think.

Hal also did a superior version of Pac-Man on the Vic-20 in comparison to AtariSoft's attempt. It was called "Jelly Monsters". Also, for the GB, GBC, and GG ports of the game, there is a Full-Screen option like the NGPC had. You just had to press left or right. They also had a sort of battle mode via link cable, where it was either first to lose all their lives lost, or whoever beat the set number of stages first won. Also, if one player eats a ghost, it gets sent to the other's playfield.

If you ever get have a chance, Mark, you should give Opcode's "Pac-Man Collection" a shot on the ColecoVision. For the hardware it was made for, it's pretty much arcade-perfect.

Atari did had the exclusive rights to Pac-Man for home & computer formats and squashed even vague variations of it on other systems (ie. KC Munchkin). But since Atari 8-bit computers weren't as popular as the Apple & Commodore ones, they started AtariSoft as a "can't beat them, join them" thing. At least they sold Taxman as an "official" port instead of killing it outright...

• Like 1

Wow, I know it was unofficial but I never knew there was a SNES port. Why do the Chinese bootleggers even bother coding something that's practically unplayable? I know they occasionally make some neat stuff like the NES DK Country port, but stuff like this is worthless.

At 5:40, it looks like the Playstation is using the Saturns crosshatching transparancy workaround...

Also, about a week ago, GameSack did a video on "Piss Poor Ports" and this was one of the games featured. A little homage to Joe and Dave? lol

Dithering isn't a Saturn workaround, it's used in games for all hardware for various reasons, even those with some form of "transparency" hardware support.

CPS2 does not support transparencies through hardware. Keeping the dithering in ports is a way to keep them faithful to the arcade versions.

According to a source withing Capcom US, Marvel Super Heroes VS Street Fighter was developed for the sole reason that X-Men VS Street Fighter was too hectic. Sounds like a lame reason but whatever the reason was it resulted in an amazing 2D fighter from Capcom Japan. One of the best ever 2D fighters of that generation.