IGNORED

Battle of the Ports

There was once a British developer known as Core Design. They started life on the Amiga before hitting the big time with Tomb Raider. Sadly they were bought by a soulless conglomerate and are no more. But before the days of Tomb Raider they did make many original games. Once such game being Chuck Rock.

Edited by Yakumo1975

Last week we took a look at Chuck Rock. A game many disliked. This week we have the squeal, Son of Chuck. A game many people seem to like. Let's check it out.

Technology is amazing isn't it? When I was a kid we had small LCD games and a cheap Walkman to entertain us. Now we have so many choices. But, have you ever wanted to take that living room experience with you when camping? Well, now you can! Well, as long as you are travelling by car.

• Like 1

In case you (or anyone else) wondered why there was no ST version of Chuck Rock II:

From RetroGamer Magazine,issue 173...Chuck Rock feature.

Full credit to Nick Thorpe for asking Bob Churchill about the ST version of Chuck Rock II which had been previewed by ST Review magazine.

Bob stated it was probably never  in production to start with.

Resources being better spent on the Sega versions..and Core were in the process of dropping support for the ST.

Here we go with a review of the LDK. In this video I show you just what you can expect from the stock firmware and how good the emulation actually is. Many different emulators shown from NES to obscure stuff such as the NEC PC-98 and yes, PlayStation as well.

We finally reach the end of the Chuck Rock series with BC Racers. A series that started of with a mediocre platformer then improved and what could arguably said ended in a poor racer. But which platform has the best version of this racer? Let's watch on.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Yakumo1975 said:

We finally reach the end of the Chuck Rock series with BC Racers. A series that started of with a mediocre platformer then improved and what could arguably said ended in a poor racer. But which platform has the best version of this racer? Let's watch on.

Even as starved of Triple-A software as the Pal Mega CD was, there was no way i was touching this.

Up there with Jaguar XJ220 and Wonder Dog as Core Design's weakest releases on the system.

And when you look at the 3DO and 32X versions,  you wonder why resources were wasted bringing a duff title to more powerful hardware and making it play even worse.

• Like 1

I'm surprised we didn't just get the FDS version here in the US.  I'm grateful we didn't because the US version is so much better.  I loved this game when I was a kid and could usually get to the end boss without dying.  The end of level pictures change too if you don't die, you get a picture of the guys in the jeep going Yeaaaahhhh! and looking all excited.  If you die at least once on a stage you get the guys looking at map saying "here?" and looking lost.  It was a tiny thing, but it was still really cool.

Jim Power was a game released under many names as a new game but in reality it was always the same game with a few changes here and there. Let's take a look at Jim Power across a variety of systems from an 8bit UK home computer port to a Japanese exclusive console release.

On 8/5/2019 at 7:39 AM, Yakumo1975 said:

So the other day I had to spend a few days away from home. I was staying in a typical Japanese short stay hotel, sometimes known as business hotels. These are relatively inexpensive and very clean but just how big are they?

At least it's way roomier than a capsule hotel...

21 hours ago, MrMaddog said:

At least it's way roomier than a capsule hotel...

That is true.  It's also cheaper.

A little late this week but I think it's worth it as we take a look at Earthworm Jim on this week's Battle of the Ports.

Edited by Yakumo1975
  • Like 2

Hated  EWJ at the time on the Mega Drive and tried it years later on PSN and felt the same.

I had no idea of the Sega Channel version though and was under the illusion the Sega CD version was merely the cart version with improved audio and a weak, exclusive level.

Did not know of the different endings, nor improved animation.

Great work once again.

Edited by Lost Dragon

On 8/10/2019 at 3:14 PM, Punisher5.0 said:

I grew up playing EWJ on the Genesis and loved it. Seeing it in that video was brutal though. All that dithering really distracted me. Thanks for posting this. It was fun to see the differences in all the versions.

yeah, but remember on crts for the time those dithered sections just looked like additional colors