IGNORED

Battle of the Ports

On 12/21/2019 at 2:09 AM, Yakumo1975 said:

Known as Soldiers of Fortune in the US but The Chaos Engine everywhere else comes yet another classic from the Bitmap brothers. But which versions are the best? Home computer or console?

Dissapointing scrolling on the Genesis. 

STE hardware not really taken advantage of other than slightly improved scrolling and colour range.

The STFM version is pretty dire to be honest.

I'm used to seeing the Bitmap Bros get the most from the ST hardware, but this looks like it was too ambitious a project or built for the Amiga, either way it came as a shock.

• Sad 1

I remember this title being really hyped back in the day, but not being an Amiga or ST person I couldn't run it (never knew about the DOS port).  When I finally played it on my Genesis I couldn't understand what app that hype was about.  Still don't really other than it was a really nice game for the Amiga I guess at a time when that platform was pretty much dead.

Is there a comparison of the ST and the STE version somewhere?  I'm curious as to how much the scrolling was improved.  It was pretty dire on the stock ST.

8 hours ago, Tempest said:

Is there a comparison of the ST and the STE version somewhere?  I'm curious as to how much the scrolling was improved.  It was pretty dire on the stock ST.

It uses the extended STe colo(u)r pallette but that's about it.  No hardware scrolling or digitial sound effects though, looks like none of the British developers and publishers wanted the ST to be as good as the Amiga so they gimped the ports...

Still a good game if you don't mind the lack of in-game music, which was a damn shame.

As someone who speaks Japanese, I actually disagree with Jordan Mechner on how to pronounce Karateka.

http://3.buric.co/dc746-karateka.mp3 is a clip from Detective Conan where two characters are talking about someone who's a karate nut, and they both use the word "karateka" - so you can hear how actual Japanese speakers would pronounce it.  It's pretty close to ka-RA-te-ka.

14 minutes ago, The Usotsuki said:

As someone who speaks Japanese, I actually disagree with Jordan Mechner on how to pronounce Karateka.

http://3.buric.co/dc746-karateka.mp3 is a clip from Detective Conan where two characters are talking about someone who's a karate nut, and they both use the word "karateka" - so you can hear how actual Japanese speakers would pronounce it.  It's pretty close to ka-RA-te-ka.

Which is exactly how I always pronounced it.  Good to know. :)

This reminds me of an agurment I'd always had with my friend over how to pronounce Gradius.  I say it as "GRAY-DE-US" like everyone else and he always says it's "GRAH-DE-US".

And he insists he's right from all the anime he's watched...

Well, it was only a matter of time before the Switch looking clones arrived.  Actually I'm surprised it has taken this long. Here we are with the PowKiddy RS-11.  It comes with GameBoy Advance and NES games built in but that's it.  No mention of what else it can play so it's time to experiment. 

4 minutes ago, Yakumo1975 said:

Well, it was only a matter of time before the Switch looking clones arrived.  Actually I'm surprised it has taken this long. Here we are with the PowKiddy RS-11.  It comes with GameBoy Advance and NES games built in but that's it.  No mention of what else it can play so it's time to experiment. 

That's more than what Nintendo gives you on a real Switch... :roll:

• Like 1