IGNORED

Battle of the Ports

7 hours ago, Yakumo1975 said:

Dos original or the ports?  Which do you like?

Whilst never a fan of this on any platform. I think you were quite generous with the Playstation version. 

I bent the coder, Nick Pekking's ear about it at the time, as well as what became of Playstation Unreal.. 

Nick:

What my team and I did with Duke Nukem 3D on the PlayStation wasto  convert the PC’s Build engine to use the PlayStation’s texture rendering hardware, i.e. to draw vertical strips using the 3d renderer. This meant that we were able to exactly replicate the unusual perspective and game mechanics used on the PC.

Convertors on other game platforms (e.g. the Saturn) adapted the game to their own game engines, giving slightly better performance at the risk of losing a lot of the fun and detail of the game. As an example, Sony’s testers found a level design bug in the first level of the game which a million-plus PC players had never noticed (a section of one wall was slightly too thin, so players were able to ‘force’ their way through it).

As far as Unreal/PlayStation goes, the less said the better. I’m sure others will have kind words to say about GT Interactive and Epic, but you won’t find any here.

On 9/5/2020 at 7:00 PM, Lost Dragon said:

Whilst never a fan of this on any platform. I think you were quite generous with the Playstation version. 

I bent the coder, Nick Pekking's ear about it at the time, as well as what became of Playstation Unreal.. 

Nick:

What my team and I did with Duke Nukem 3D on the PlayStation wasto  convert the PC’s Build engine to use the PlayStation’s texture rendering hardware, i.e. to draw vertical strips using the 3d renderer. This meant that we were able to exactly replicate the unusual perspective and game mechanics used on the PC.

Convertors on other game platforms (e.g. the Saturn) adapted the game to their own game engines, giving slightly better performance at the risk of losing a lot of the fun and detail of the game. As an example, Sony’s testers found a level design bug in the first level of the game which a million-plus PC players had never noticed (a section of one wall was slightly too thin, so players were able to ‘force’ their way through it).

As far as Unreal/PlayStation goes, the less said the better. I’m sure others will have kind words to say about GT Interactive and Epic, but you won’t find any here.

Well, you have to be careful with Amiga, PlayStation, Neo Geo and PC Engine fans.  They always get so upset over anything negative ?

New video went up today.  This video was recorded on Monday, 7th September 2020. The day after Tropical Cyclone 2010 (Haishen) hit Kyushu and Yamaguchi.

On 9/12/2020 at 9:16 AM, KidGameR186496 said:

BTW Mark, do you plan to cover Fill-In-Café's Mad Stalker: Full Metal Forth? The previously unreleased Mega Drive version is coming out soon so there's a suggestion for a future episode ;)

I do indeed.  My copy should arrive this Thursday according to Amazon.  So looking forward to that one.

New video for today

On 9/15/2020 at 8:27 AM, Yakumo1975 said:

Oh man, not Bubsy.  that's just cruel.

Sneak Bubsy 1 and 2 on his list when he's not looking.  ;)

I believe I watch majority(all) of Battle of the Ports, I started from current all the way to the voiceless videos.  I'm glad you added voice over.  It's nice to hear information about your experience playing the game and I do like your voice. 

On 9/27/2020 at 8:03 PM, Kiwi said:

Sneak Bubsy 1 and 2 on his list when he's not looking.  ;)

I believe I watch majority(all) of Battle of the Ports, I started from current all the way to the voiceless videos.  I'm glad you added voice over.  It's nice to hear information about your experience playing the game and I do like your voice. 

I think adding the voiceover was the best choice for the show.  I'm glad you like them.

You know what, Maybe I will do Bubsy just for a laugh.  Someday in the future.

New video today in the Retro Core 5 series.  Let's take a look at Sega's first coloured handheld.  It's better than you thought.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yakumo1975 said:

One of the pioneering games of it's time is covered on this week's Battle of the Ports.

Another World may not have started on the PC, Wikipedia seems to have it on the Amiga/AtariST and that matches my memories as well.

Amiga/ST release seems to precede the DOS version, even MobyGames https://www.mobygames.com/game/out-of-this-world states it was an Amiga/ST first release.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Another_World_(video_game) has quite some details on the development process on a mix of Amiga/ST.

EDIT: The YT comments seem to also have caught up on that.

EDIT2: it seems in response to one comment you imply PC meaning as non-console vs PC-DOS but then again Amiga/ST versions are not ports but the original and the DOS version the port. Confusing. You state of the Amiga version "it was ported on the 16bits home computers, it looks just as good as the PC original" ... I am afraid you'll have to rework that video and the narrative about it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Yakumo1975 said:

One of the pioneering games of it's time is covered on this week's Battle of the Ports.

A little taken aback by this one. 

Your videos are usually pretty spot on when it comes to research, but this one seems very rushed. 

I appreciate just how hard it would be to redo the video, but your narrative keeps making reference to the PC original, not the Amiga original... 

And when you said the Atari 800 version was considered, my heart sank, it was an unofficial attempt at a conversion. 

I think your getting a lot of heat in the comments section, as people are getting fed up with the sheer amount of disinformation being presented on YT videos these days. 

11 hours ago, Lost Dragon said:

A little taken aback by this one. 

Your videos are usually pretty spot on when it comes to research, but this one seems very rushed. 

I appreciate just how hard it would be to redo the video, but your narrative keeps making reference to the PC original, not the Amiga original... 

And when you said the Atari 800 version was considered, my heart sank, it was an unofficial attempt at a conversion. 

I think your getting a lot of heat in the comments section, as people are getting fed up with the sheer amount of disinformation being presented on YT videos these days. 

Judging by the palette of colors used, the Atari ST was the source for all these ports. The 512 color palette maps too suspiciously clean to the Amiga version, which is a definitely tell tale sign that the original was ST. More surprising here, is that the MD/MCD versions use the same 512 RGB palette as the ST version, can show more colors than the ST, and yet it's missing some colors. What's up with that???

2 hours ago, turboxray said:

Judging by the palette of colors used, the Atari ST was the source for all these ports. The 512 color palette maps too suspiciously clean to the Amiga version, which is a definitely tell tale sign that the original was ST. More surprising here, is that the MD/MCD versions use the same 512 RGB palette as the ST version, can show more colors than the ST, and yet it's missing some colors. What's up with that???

" I felt that I had something very personal to communicate and in order to bring my true vision to others, I had to develop the title on my own. But the transition from 8-bit to 16-bit had been difficult for me; programming became more and more complex and I’d get lost trying to manage it all. Luckily, many excellent books and tools were released that enabled easy development on the Amiga. Thanks to these, I felt confident I could go back to programming, and was sure I could handle the project on my own. I didn’t decide to go it alone for the challenge, but because I felt it was necessary to create my game without any commercial pressure.” So after finishing work on Future Wars, Eric was given a choice: either contribute to Delphine’s next game or forge ahead with his own project. He opted for the latter and work on Another World began."

https://www.retrogamer.net/retro_games90/the-making-of-another-world/

In 1988, the Amiga 500 changed the landscape of computer gaming by allowing games to have colorful graphics. My interest in illustration pushed me to become a graphic artist, leaving programming by the wayside. For a year I worked for a small game company creating backgrounds and animations on Amiga.

In 1989, Paul Cuisset at Delphine was searching a freelance graphic artist for his new project Future Wars. My portfolio didn't please him at first, since my past creation on amiga was based on retouched scanned images. For the next 3 weeks, I worked like a crazy man to improve my portfolio. Finally, Paul was conviced to work with me. After wrapping up Future Wars, I started to study programming again and began to create Out of this World.

E-BOREDOM: What led you to create the graphics for Out of This World with polygons instead of sprites?

ERIC CHAHI: The polygon idea came from playing the Dragon's Lair port for the Amiga, which was showing incredible big animation on the screen, thanks to Randy Linden. That game's graphics weren't polygons, but were compressed bitmaps directly read from the disk. This was revolutionary for the time.

I thought it could be done with polygons since the animation was flat. I wrote a vectorial code and programmed some speed tests. The idea was to use polygons not only for movie like animation but also for gameplay sequences. Think of the sprites as an assemblage of vector shapes. This proved to be a major advantage because you had big sprites that were scalable which took up less disk space than traditional sprites.

Inspired by the animation techniques used in mid '80s titles like Impossible Mission and Karateka, Chahi developed his own unique polygonal visual style that allowed him to cram a stunningly rich environment into the meagre confines of the Commodore Amiga.

Kicking off with a monumentally impressive (for its time) animated intro sequence, the style and atmosphere instantly sucked players into a strange, beautiful and dangerous platform adventure that required players to use their intuition to survive.

Following the game's release, Chahi helped port the game to practically every 16-bit platform around at the time. All told, the game sold around a million copies, helping to establish a lasting legacy for one of the most visionary and memorable games of its time

Eurogamer: Which version did you use as the basis for the Anniversary Edition? The Amiga original or the expanded PC version?

Eric Chahi: The closest version is the PC version. But indeed the game evolved through time and each version, it is not exactly this one

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/another-world-15th-anniversary-edition-interview

That's why i am a little surprised Retro Core thought the PC version was the original. 

Eric has talked about his Amiga work numerous times. 

Edited by Lost Dragon

On 9/26/2020 at 2:17 AM, Yakumo1975 said:

Yesterday was the unboxing.  Today, the battle. 

You know what would be awesome? A remake with Tengo Project-level visuals featuring the playable characters from the PC Engine Arcade Card port + the soundtracks from every port to have the ultimate version of Mad Stalker: Full Metal Forth...

• Like 1