IGNORED

Battle of the Ports

On 9/2/2019 at 4:25 AM, Yakumo1975 said:

A while back I reviewed the Sky arcade joystick - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II3SE... That was a massive stick, too big for some people's homes. Well here we are with something a little smaller yet still delivers that arcade experience and it has more games!!

I'm so confused by these things. They seem to make the actual cases (and controls) better and better, but they don't seem to ever improve the guts. You can't have a screen tear free game (on at least some of those games) without applying that terrible filter?

Certainly looked like a neat case, anyway. 

• Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 2:47 AM, dj_convoy said:

I'm so confused by these things. They seem to make the actual cases (and controls) better and better, but they don't seem to ever improve the guts. You can't have a screen tear free game (on at least some of those games) without applying that terrible filter?

Certainly looked like a neat case, anyway. 

Yep, I'm afraid so.  The V-Sync seems to be tied to the nasty filter.

Game Arts are no longer around but when they were they made some of the most impressive games of their time. This week on Battle of the Ports we'll take a look at Silpheed.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Yakumo1975 said:

This week we are taking a look at a game i enjoyed as a child but had completely forgotten about it until recently.  That game is simply titled, Bruce Lee.

At the time there was talk of an Atari ST version being a possibility:

CES 1985...

Datasoft annouced they had an ST development system and we should expect ST versions of Bruce Lee and The Goonies by the end of the year.

Last I ever heard of either :(

21 hours ago, Lost Dragon said:

At the time there was talk of an Atari ST version being a possibility:

CES 1985...

Datasoft annouced they had an ST development system and we should expect ST versions of Bruce Lee and The Goonies by the end of the year.

Last I ever heard of either :(

I wonder what ever happened to them?

In the last video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt-Bv... We took a look at the stock GPD XD Plus. In this video we take a look at the system running emulators that were installed after purchase. Can these made a difference to the reasonable quality of the stock system? You bet they can.

• Like 1

@Yakumo1975:I cannot even confirm they were even ever started, which is a crying shame.

There were a number of 8 bit titles at least started for the ST but which never appeared ( Beach Head, Dan Dare etc ) Which either were shown to the press (Dan Dare) or i managed to chat with the people behind.

Actually Dan Dare would make a great future video or 2 for your channel.

Dan Dare and Dan Dare 2 play differently on the C64 compared to the Amstrad CPC and ZX Spectrum versions. 

Developers tool time to code different versions rather than port a standard game across various formats. 

Super Off Road is another prime example of where the Lynx suffered from not having the same conversion handled by a development team responsible for the rival Sega Game Gear version. 

Graftgold did wonders for the Game Gear version with game working well within the confines of the flaky Game Gear screen and some really tight controls.

The Lynx version by comparison at best feels unfinished... 

Jumpy scrolling,limited animation,workman like graphics and sound i could live with, but the poor collision detection (or is it just a bug?) where you get stuck on the walls and slow screen update literally kill it.

With a better development team or further optimisation, this could of been a flagship late era Lynx release.

Instead it's yet another game seemingly just thrown out whilst there was still something resembling a commercial market and the Lynx ends up with a much weaker version than it's technically weaker Sega rival.

7 hours ago, Yakumo1975 said:

Let's take a look at a game that should have never been given the Thundercats name.

Nice.

Game only worth it for the Rob Hubbard music.

Any chance you'll cover similar unofficial sequels/existing W.I.P.  games switched to suit an aquired licence? 

Duet (Commando II ) Elite

Strider II and Human Killing Machine aka Street Fighter 2 (Tiertex)

The Vindicators aka Green Beret II Imagine

Dan Dare III aka Crazy Jet Racer by Dave Perry.

The first 2 Dan Dare games are worth covering as well.

The ST port of the original sadly never being completed ?

20 hours ago, Lost Dragon said:

A few other home micro suggestions:

Caverns Of Khafka Atari vs C64

Airwolf (Elite repacked Blue Thunder for the Atari version)

Aztec Challenge 1982 Atari

1983 Atari with improved graphics

Vs C64.

Thanks for the suggestions, Lost Dragon.  I'll add them to the list.

Today I take a look at the X2.

• Like 1