IGNORED

Any spare keyboards?

duhproject

Two weeks ago I jumped into the TI-99/4A world by grabbing a beige system locally for $10. Five keys stuck when pressed and it had the dreaded 2.2v GROM. I found a cheap silver and black TI-99 untested on eBay and grabbed that. Keyboard doesn't work (only the 1, 5, and space keys work). I was able to swap the GROM out and get the beige system running, and even fixed the keys to a point they are usable, but the entire keyboard is a bit sporadic.

Does anyone have a spare keyboard that works that they would like to sell? I'm okay with either beige or black at this point. I just need one that works reliably.

Thanks!

I have a beige one that was sold at Radio Shack still in the bag. Never used.

Says "Originally for TI-99 Computer" on the packaging.

I wouldn't bank on that. We just had a member whose keyboard went out. He had two of those radio shack replacements new in box, neither worked. Seems an issue with the membrane and years of age.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/256069-keyboard-not-working-at-all/?do=findComment&comment=3576385

Edited by Sinphaltimus

I suggest taking the keyboard out and putting it out in a container. Then pour alcohol in the container to just under the bottom of the keys. Then cycle all keys up and down quite a few times. Let it soak for a bit then remove and let the alcohol drain and blow out as best you can. I have repaired many keyboards that were plagued with keyboard "bounce" using this method. The keyboard of course must be one with true switches. The cheap buck a bottle alcohol from the dollar stores work just fine.

• Like 1

I suggest taking the keyboard out and putting it out in a container. Then pour alcohol in the container to just under the bottom of the keys. Then cycle all keys up and down quite a few times. Let it soak for a bit then remove and let the alcohol drain and blow out as best you can. I have repaired many keyboards that were plagued with keyboard "bounce" using this method. The keyboard of course must be one with true switches. The cheap buck a bottle alcohol from the dollar stores work just fine.

Thanks for the tip. I've determined the issue on the beige TI I have is due to the white plastic sleeve being cracked on all the keys that get "stuck" when pressed down. I was able to fix it by gently melting the plastic corners back together. With that said, some keys register multiple presses when pressed just once. These were not the original keys that were getting stuck.

The silver TI I have is the membrane type and only three keys work. All the rest simply don't.

I just started trying this, thinking a big fine bottle of Johnny Walker is OK for that.

But sincfe faiive minnutts a cannnto sea my kezbroad manyore, nand ave prbolems now witth my monnythor

:D :D

• Like 3

There are some beige keyboards with the leaf-spring keys too--but they are nowhere near as common as the Mitsumi keyboards from hell. Maybe someone will fix some of the membranes. I think I saw that Xad over in Italy succeeded in restoring one about a week ago. . .

• Like 1

we could exercise a 'BEIGE KEYBOARD BURNING' like the churches used to do for books years ago if they did not meet the churches views on literature.

Of course with whatever these things are made of, it would probably cause some type of environmental disaster!

The beige keyboards are good for doorstops and that's about it.

very not true.. just the ones with membrane contacts, black, beige, green whatever color those are the issue. I have many beige keyboards with proper keyswitches and they ALL work still.. In fact in my personal console I wore out the vdp before I could wear out my beige keyboard I replaced the black one with many moons ago.