IGNORED

FS: System Fairchild (Channel F) homebrew Pac-Man.

e5frog

Not shipped yet Atari_Bill, I'll try and make some time tonight already or tomorrow.

Been having some more problems than usual with family, life and such, when on sick leave you have all the time in the world but yet nothing gets done. :-(

Ok thanks. I do understand how other things get in the way. Just getting impatient I guess. :P

• 3 weeks later...

All PCB:s are now in a cleaned shell of their own, "after assembly"-tested and edge label on, -15 and -11 also have back labels glued.

IMG_6365.jpg

Left to do:
Glue boxes, put plastic on top label, back labels and cut these out, print the last four booklets.

It's looking good, I think I'll have it done before Christmas 2016.

I think -15 and -11 will be shipped within a few days.

• 1 month later...

Wow, I guess I was the lucky one that go a copy early :D

Been enjoying mine alot, showing it around to other people, they got impressed.

E5frog, do you think that PacMan is the kind of "top-notch" game we can pull out from the Channel F guts, or there is a bit more room for improvement?

I guess you could add some more RAM in the carts, but I do'nt think that would change much on how much stuff you can have on screen...

It's rather advanced, the bottleneck is for updating graphics, writing to the video RAM is a rather slow process if you want to make sure the old consoles will be able to keep up with their slightly slower RAM. The early Luxor machine has slow memory and high CPU, it's running at 2MHz so the delay needed is set by that one. I'm not sure if we ever calculated how many pixels/s or /frame that was possible to get out of it... I think it's mostly a mtter of how much glitching can you take.

I'm sure more could be done by more skilled programmers, I just got a few emails from a guy who made a program to squeeze in three virtual voices of music - on the single channel, so there's room for improvement. I'll see if I can arrange a recording of it.

It would probably be possible to make quicker games adding look up tables for data in RAM or ROM to make rather advanced "calculations" and so on, if there's people interested in programming for it I'm sure we'll see more fun stuff.
Here's a few ideas:
3D maze (wireframe type) - perhaps with enemies.
Add a light gun of C64 Gun Stick/NES Zapper style that uses light just to trig a direction... perhaps combined with the one above. Imagine a game like Duck Hunt on a Channel F. ;-)

Ms Pac-Man - should be doable
"Princess Rescue" - maybe moving a single screen at the time
Some kind of scrolling platformer would be fun, like that bouncing ball you have to keep bouncing on side scrolling platforms - should be possible.

Any game ideas?

• Like 1

Interesting :D

I'm sure there is still room for improvement, tho the machine has limitations. But it's what make it fun, too.

Maybe a RPG game like Dragonstomper? The problem migth more be in the amount of ROM you can adress?

It's hard to think about a game style outside of classic ones... Donkey Kong? Sokoban? Tetris? Tetris might be a challenge speed wise, at higher levels.

Interesting :D

I'm sure there is still room for improvement, tho the machine has limitations. But it's what make it fun, too.

Maybe a RPG game like Dragonstomper? The problem migth more be in the amount of ROM you can adress?

It's hard to think about a game style outside of classic ones... Donkey Kong? Sokoban? Tetris? Tetris might be a challenge speed wise, at higher levels.

My Channel F console isn't working, yet, so I've not play the multi-cart. Tetris is already listed as one of the homebrews that are included:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/149932-fs-fairchild-system-channel-f-multi-cart-pre-order-now/?p=1829724

• Like 1

These should be doable:

Chess

Othello

SNAFU (from Intellivision)

Nine Men's Morris

Black Box

Adventure (from 2600)

There may be other games on the 2600 that may be suitable for Channel F, but I am not very familiar with the 2600 library of games.

Chess already exists on the Channel F. It was released in Germany by SABA.

http://channelf.se/gallery/images/box.back.saba.20.jpg

Edited by kelseya

Chess already exists on the Channel F. It was released in Germany by SABA.

http://channelf.se/gallery/images/box.back.saba.20.jpg

OK, I see it now.

It is listed on your multi-cart game list in German:

Saba #20 Schach

So how about Chinese Chess? I haven't played since the mid-1980s, so I've no memory on how to play.

Or the Chinese/Japanese game GO! If the standard 19x19 grid is too big for the Channel F, then a smaller 17x17, 13x13 or 9x9 grid may be OK.

• 2 weeks later...