IGNORED

TT/Falcon Homebrew

There are quite a lot in this site (perhaps every Falcon game ever released actually).

It's already on my list but, hell, I'll give a special mention to Downfall Falcon since I made it :). First (and only AFAIK) game to support jagpad rotaries!.

Would ANY reboot games work on a 4mb RAM 1040STE? Enjoy all the reboot titles on my Jaguar and would sure love to play one on my ST, but don't have a Falcon unfortunately..

That racer looks awesome by the way...

Edited by travistouchdown

Would ANY reboot games work on a 4mb RAM 1040STE? Enjoy all the reboot titles on my Jaguar and would sure love to play one on my ST, but don't have a Falcon unfortunately..

That racer looks awesome by the way...

Well, as far as Reboot games go, only Downfall has been released on Falcon and that's the only release for 16/32 so far :). As for it running on a ST/STE, stay tuned is all I have to say so far...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

That looks nice for a clone game. Maybe your next one would be something more original and creative.

There was a reason for picking this... I wanted something with a fixed design and contained feature set so that I'd actually get something released and wouldn't spend months and months just mucking about. Turns out it took me way longer than I was expecting anyway!

Am planning another game, but not sure if it'll be for the Falcon or STE yet.

• Like 1

There was a reason for picking this... I wanted something with a fixed design and contained feature set so that I'd actually get something released and wouldn't spend months and months just mucking about. Turns out it took me way longer than I was expecting anyway!

Am planning another game, but not sure if it'll be for the Falcon or STE yet.

If I get a vote, Falcon, well ok maybe both

• 4 years later...
12 hours ago, SlidellMan said:

I know that it has been years, but just how many colors that the Falcon can display when compared to the ST's 16?

ST can display 512 colors actually. 16 stays for how many colors at once, and it is only for low resolution and regular mode. In medium it is 4.

Falcon can display 65536 colors in so called True Color mode. Not sure what is max res in it.

In any case, this is really not place to ask this things. Google could be faster and with more answers ?

• Thanks 1

Or you can go to wikipedia :) 

Graphics: "VIDEL" fully programmable video controller:

• Palette of 262,144 possible colours (18 bit), 256 new color registers
  • Bitplane modes of 2, 4, 16 or 256 colors (1, 2, 4 or 8 bit)
  • Chunky 16-bit truecolor mode
  • RGB output can feed either 15 kHz RGB monitor or TV, old Atari SM124 monitor or a VGA monitor
  • Despite the capabilities of the Videl, the plain TOS allows the user the choice of only a few resolutions up to 640×480 (or even less in the case of 16-bit mode and VGA). In order to achieve the full potential of the Videl one has to use one of the numerous existing alternative utilities, such as "Videlity", "Videl Inside", "Blow UP" etc..

using alternative utilities you can make something like 1024 x 768 pixels on LCD monitors or even higher at cost of refresh rate...

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/30/2021 at 9:45 AM, ParanoidLittleMan said:

Falcon can display 65536 colors in so called True Color mode. Not sure what is max res in it

In the palette mode Falcon can display 264k colors thanks to similar technique like Spectrum512.

Regarding direct color mode (65536 colors/True Color mode) and max resolution, that's quite simple, in that mode max. PixelClock = the bus clock. In the stock Falcon this is 16MHz, what means for RGB: 640px (768px overscaned) per line, and for VGA: 320px per line (400px overscaned?).

I did some experiments with BlowUp software in '90, and I achieved higher resolution in 65536 colors mode, but there were a lot of bad pixels every 16th pixel (or 32th, I don't remember correctly). My guess due to memory bandwidth constrains.

Surely is possible to display much more colors with palette change during scanline. But let's just stay at regular video modes.

Yes, it makes sense that in VGA mode can display lower res. - because it has much higher horizontal refresh rate.  While memory bandwidth is not so big (1992) .

So, to pull out max from Falcon,   VGA monitor, new LCD computer monitors are not good enough.  Should have TV, monitor capable of 50 Hz V refresh rate, 16 KHz H refresh rate.  Vertical res is not so simple case because of interlace, but indeed it can be 400 lines, or more with overscan.  

So, I would say that max res. in 65536 col (Falcon True Color) mode is 640x400 px. but only in RGB, TV mode. 

That's 2x640x400 bytes video RAM = 512 KB .  256 K pixels .  Bandwith - 2x640x200 bytes in 20 mS > 12 MB/sec .

Yeah, to get real 400 lines will need to switch 2 screen buffers because interlaced displaying on TV.

VGA mode can display 400 lines (or more with overscan) without buffer switch, but less pixels per line (True Color mode) .

Overscaned RGB is 786x480 interlaced (should be easily boosted to 768x512 with BlowUp/Videlity software), but on a nowadays LCD TV interlaces should not be a problem.

Also LCD TV are often multisync - they accept from 15Khz to 31Khz and more.

2 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

Yeah, to get real 400 lines will need to switch 2 screen buffers because interlaced displaying on TV

there is no need to switch 2 buffers on the Falcon, because it has implemented hardware support for the interlace (and actually ST also has it, but disabled in the GLUE https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=30303)

Edited by Cyprian

Well, there are 2 things about interlaced mode - better said real interlace mode which are not fulfilled in case of Atari ST(E):

odd lines show same content as even ones, while at real TV signal odd lines show lines between, so 1 line lower, and 20 mS later in time - that's how TV cameras work. Or some modern digital camera, where can set interlaced mode.

Other thing is that odd lines overlap even lines, what is not always visible, while should go between them.  It lowers visual quality little.

However, it depends from TV/monitor too - some will place odd lines at correct pos. I even posted photo of such TV showing odd lines well - at Atari forum, and some did not like or believe it. Huh.

Then, there are static pictures. Like some schematic with tiny lines, and it does not look so good in interlaced mode.

You are right that can set proper interlaced mode, so real 400 lines vertically with Falcon in TV/RGB mode - and as said above it will be not so good as in progressive VGA mode.

• 1 month later...