IGNORED

Worst Jaguar cartridge title?

WozzyCat

• 1 month later...

Bubsy in Fetish Furry Tales

I don't suppose you have a spare copy you'd be willing to part with? Preferably one without any of the pages in the instruction manual stuck together. :P

In all seriousness, I'm gonna go with Kasume Ninja. Or maybe Fight For Life. I have a pretty high tolerance for bad fighting games, but those two... hot damn.

• 3 months later...

Chipping into this oldish topic...

I don't know if I'd class Checkered Flag as a bad game for the simple reason that the controls are too broken for me to consider it a real game. It falls into another category for me: 'Incomplete' or 'shouldn't have been released'.

I'll have to play the system a bit more to discover what I could classify as 'the worst non-broken cartridge game'. At this stage, I reckon Kasumi Ninja would be up there though.

Hands down, Brutal Sports Football. It's not a horrible game, but it's not at all a Jaguar game. Don't get me wrong, I love all the games that our favorite member is porting to the Jaguar; however, we know those games were made for a slightly lesser system and an earlier time. It seems to me like Telegames or Atari (or whoever made it)... literally ported Brutal Sports Football to the Jaguar in order to get a title out. It would be an OK game for the Super Nintendo or the Sega Genesis.... but on the Jaguar it's worth a double-Picard face-palm.

I estimate that about 45% of the Jaguar library is in the "mediocre to awful" range. Once you reach that crowded substratum of Jaguar badness, it gets really hard to pick out a single title as "the worst." WMCJ is as good a choice as any, and I'd also nominate one of the terrible 3D driving/racing games (Club Drive, Checkered Flag, Supercross 3D). It doesn't really matter which one; none of them have any redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Oh man... I like all three of those. I know Club Drive gets crapped on a lot, but I think you have to remember the time. Back in 1994, Club Drive definitely was not the most advanced 3D car simulator... there were plenty out there. But it was pretty on-par with what was out there. It's modelled somewhat after the game "Stunts" for the PC (which came out in 1990).

SuperCross 3D was also pretty good in my opinion. It's a little hard to play, but once you get into a rhythm, it gets much easier. Of course, comparing those games today with anything even remotely modern and the games look horrible. So I don't know if you played them back in the day, or are just playing them now... but it's hard to judge them today since they just don't compare.

Double Dragon V has to be the worst of all! Totally unplayable! :)

I was so bummed when I got this game. I kept trying to figure out how I get to the "story line" part of the game like Double Dragon 1 and 2. When I realized that there wasn't one... I put it away and haven't really played it since.

Hands down, Brutal Sports Football. It's not a horrible game, but it's not at all a Jaguar game. Don't get me wrong, I love all the games that our favorite member is porting to the Jaguar; however, we know those games were made for a slightly lesser system and an earlier time. It seems to me like Telegames or Atari (or whoever made it)... literally ported Brutal Sports Football to the Jaguar in order to get a title out. It would be an OK game for the Super Nintendo or the Sega Genesis.... but on the Jaguar it's worth a double-Picard face-palm.

I have yet to play Brutal Sports Football on the Jag, but had it for the Amiga CD32 and really liked it. Not quite Speedball II on grass, but reminiscent enough of it to be enjoyable.

While waiting around for someone to be the first to post something about Blackout, I'm going to say that I really like the music and graphics.

I hate everything about this game, but I agree with the claim that it isn't the worst on the Jag.

Hmmmm, I actually like this game and think its fun. *shrug

To me easily Fight for Life

Brutal sports football is the main reason I got a Jaguar. Loved this game and had to have it on a console with pads and all once I got the knowledge of it. Think all the holes in the ground could add up to lagging and a stronger system could run it smoother . Also like the music in the Jaguar version more than in the Amiga version.

Baddest game... that I own... with low bad game-charm... must be Motocross 3D for the moment. Played through the game on "Rookie" and just had enough.

Can't the same be said of any other game that's pretty much a port on the Jag?

• Like 2

^^^sorry don't own the game based on all the hatred towards it. It's easy to avoid the complete #%¤&-games as Bruce Lee or Dubble dragon. But games like Club drive and Supercross 3D had some ok quotes from time to time, and racers often has something... one might believe.

Yeah the game dev companies didn't use the new stuff in neither the AmigaCD32 (which had a chip for 3d almost never used), Jaguar or Sega 32X so they all came in between old and newer systems, hence all the old 16-bit ports for the looser consoles.

- I found Dragon a tad too difficult, but I can't say its a bad game'. Until IK+ arrived I would say it was the most playable fighter for the Jag.

- If you mean the Akiko chip. It's basicly a chunky to planar gfx converter. Making it easier/faster to display chunky gfx (good for certain styles of 3D games like Doom) in planar mode, but it doesn't assist in 3D calculations

I have yet to play Brutal Sports Football on the Jag, but had it for the Amiga CD32 and really liked it. Not quite Speedball II on grass, but reminiscent enough of it to be enjoyable.

Can't the same be said of any other game that's pretty much a port on the Jag?

Yeah, please don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing BSF... but it's definitely not a Jaguar level game.

And to the question "Can't the same be said of any other port..." I understand what you're saying... but I see the graphics on BSF as being far worse than those of many of the other ports. BSF seems to me like it's a game that's barely transitional from 8-bit NES to Super Nintendo. It's still a fun game, but the graphics basically feel like they're EGA.

I compiled a list of conversions somewhere in the forum here, talking about just that one time. How nearly half of the Jaguar's library is comprised of unoriginal ports from other systems. Sure would have been nice to have had more of the original titles - you know, the stuff they bothered to write about, tease and show screenshots or concepts of in their literature - released back then instead of some of the thrice half-baked stuff we got. :(

No love loss for Rise of the Robots never rearing its ugly head though. :lol:

On one hand it would've been nice to see more exclusives, but then on the other hand, look at the exclusives the system did receive. Kinda makes you glad there are so many ports :)

Edit: We are discussing exclusives over in the 3DO sub-forum, I'd say that console got an even poorer set of exclusives. There's so much, both good and bad, on the Jag where you just kinda have to appreciate it for its madness.

Yeah, please don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing BSF... but it's definitely not a Jaguar level game.

And to the question "Can't the same be said of any other port..." I understand what you're saying... but I see the graphics on BSF as being far worse than those of many of the other ports. BSF seems to me like it's a game that's barely transitional from 8-bit NES to Super Nintendo. It's still a fun game, but the graphics basically feel like they're EGA.

Nothing wrong with the graphics for BSF, you can at least make out what's happening on screen. The same can't be said for Syndicate. And to be fair, I enjoyed both games much more than some other Jag titles.

Cybermorph. And Attack of the Mutant Penguins. My penguin-loving 11 year old son couldn't even figure it out.

Mutant Penguin was confusing for me at first also. But after I watched a video on youtube of it I kind of figured out the jist and now I really like the game. Its actually really fun once you get the hang of the play mechanics. But damn those first 30 mins I would of broke the cart.