IGNORED

Want a VGA compatible 8 bit

ryoder

Personally I think it would be super-cool to have HDMI output on the Atari--sound and all. I already have a good scan doubler (I have a couple of DVDO iScans which work well, and a few others including the popular arcade RGB converter)... but having HDMI would be sublime. Either that or DVI-D output with a separate audio jack.

Personally I'm not a fan of the VBXE upgrade--I'd prefer stock... but super sharp and compatible with all modern computer monitors and TVs.

This is probably the cheapest way you can do high quality HDMI video on the A8: XEGS to TV with only HDMI

- Michael

I'm in the same boat and looking for the optimal solution for 8-bit output to an LCD monitor or TV (either VGA or HDMI).

In your opinion, how good is the VBXE route vs. a S-Video solution for VGA or HDMI?

Any thoughts on the best current U.S./non-SCART monitor offering (produced in the last few years) that can display a native RGB signal?

The VBXE is really a perfectionist solution if the intent is limited to video quality. The fact is that the VBXE was meant to do so much more than provide high-quality video out. That said, the video out from the VBXE is positively stunning; easily twice as sharp and colorful as an S-Video solution.

The VBXE is really a perfectionist solution if the intent is limited to video quality. The fact is that the VBXE was meant to do so much more than provide high-quality video out. That said, the video out from the VBXE is positively stunning; easily twice as sharp and colorful as an S-Video solution.

Too bad there is no way to jam one into an incognito 800

• Like 1

I've bought two Atari ST compatible VGA flat panels (that can sync down to 15khz off ebay) in the last month with the intention of testing on a VBXE setup.

Both arrived non-working. I don't mean non working with the VBXE, I mean doesn't work at all with any computer. Second one doesn't even power on.

The second I paid a premium for, from a trusted vendor - and he couldn't have possibly believed it was working, the power connect is clearly not attached.

E-bay is so unpleasant. Well I'll never know if they would've worked with the VBXE. Oh well.

Edited by Dmitry

I've bought two Atari ST compatible VGA flat panels (that can sync down to 15khz off ebay) in the last month with the intention of testing on a VBXE setup.

Both arrived non-working. I don't mean non working with the VBXE, I mean doesn't work at all with any computer. Second one doesn't even power on.

The second I paid a premium for, from a trusted vendor - and he couldn't have possibly believed it was working, the power connect is clearly not attached.

E-bay is so unpleasant. Well I'll never know if they would've worked with the VBXE. Oh well.

I appreciate the reply pixel. I would be leaning towards the VBXE, but beyond the cost and installation complexity, I'm not sure if I want to bother if I still have to convert the output further to VGA/HDMI or search for a decent separate monitor as Dmitry has done.

Maybe I should just wait for the the new UAV board and be satisfied with an significant improvement. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one in this boat.

I did the eBay chase to find a vbxe compatible monitor. Wasted lots of money. In the end, this $30 board provided what I needed and better quality then up converters costing 3 times the price.

https://www.amazon.com/HD-Converter-GBS-8200-Converts-systems-monitors/dp/B00F1YQIVK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=atariage&linkId=5ecea4cbb9cdea8379d260a39fe3393c