IGNORED

SIO2PC/10502PC-Dual USB v3.3 for ATARI 8bit XL/XE (Combo device)

Spanner

Since I used one of the SIO2PC/10502PC devices, Atari8Warez makes, I knew that he fully tests his product before he releases them. Also, I liked his after sale support.

I was supersized when he released his latest SIO2PC/10502PC-Dual device based on an alternative plug. I was worried about the overlapping/bridging of copper traces with connector pins in case of unintentional flipping of the device plug.

I contacted Ray and asked him to clarify the subject. He send me this photo (I had to clean it a little).

Based on the picture, I believe he clearly succeeded avoiding pin crossing problem.

Therefore, at least for me, my worries are over.

post-37046-0-93216800-1473427284_thumb.png

madi

• Like 2

Presumably "cutting" means cutting the sprung connectors off the metal strip before fitting them. The SIO2PC Lotharek sent me is made from the same housing and is not overly tight. I'm told Best Electronics also have SIO connectors available in bulk for c. $3 a piece, so it's not easy to understand the need to resort to unorthodox solutions if this is indeed the case.

• Like 3

I still stand behind my statement about this product. The SIO plug is "The Right Way" as Atari intended it. Anything else is a kludge.

Also, as to those who like to e-mail bomb... Keep it up, it gives me a laugh because of how well Outlook's junk filters and rules work. You're only helping me learn what sites to block. I really appreciate it. :)

• Like 2

The SIO plug is "The Right Way" as Atari intended it. Anything else is a kludge.

Not according to one regular commentator:

Doubters have probably been thinking sio connector is the only way because Atari made sio. Truth is that they made those connectors in the 70s and technology today can actually do better at bridging the gap without having to use the same connections. I don't think they had the engineering precision back then to even think about something as cool as what you have developed.

So it appears this is actually superior to the plastic housed connector which we may never have even seen if only Atari had possessed sufficiently advanced technology in the 1970s to engineer PCB traces with today's levels of precision.

Use of the word "unorthodox" also attracted a witty pictorial response as well as the double quote marks that the word "probagate" somehow managed to evade. Since synonyms for "unorthodox" include "unconventional", "unusual", "uncommon", "radical", "revolutionary", "novel", "alternative", etc, it's difficult to understand how even the device's staunchest proponents could argue with that adjective's aptness.

• Like 3

@FJC

This is one of the few posts here in Atarigae, where I literary got lost. I mean the "heavy" words you choose to makeup the sentences with. :woozy:

Even uncle Google translator did not help me much. :?

Sure, I got the general idea, but missed the wording.

Although, I believe that the alternative design for the SIO plug is safe, I have to agree with Kyel22's words "The SIO plug is The Right Way". May be because of age factors? :grin:

madi

Edited by Madi
  • Like 4

Sorry for got to post,mine is fine and connecting ok now no problem.Going keep it the way it is,.I can take some shots of it if you like.It's really nicely made,I am happy with it.

Shame I can't use Ape,Ape is to much for me to buy,If I had the money I would though.

Dose anyone know if the full version of APE will work with this..?? We know Pro System dose,cos of Rays videos and I have tried it.

Edited by Spanner

If I recall, and I might be remembering wrong, the SIO plug on Lothareks site (http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=85) used to say that they needed trimming to make a good fit, as they were slightly too big as standard.

Now it just says you need to do some cutting. That may be the cause of them being too tight.

I could take some pictures,, the housing fits the sio just fine.. its the individual pins.. that you are inserting into the plug that fit TOO TIGHT.. the width just needs to be wide enough that no shoddy contact can happen with the male.. NOT so wide that they have to be jammed (forced) into their slots .. I will use a dremel and shave a little material off each pin next time.

James

Sorry for got to post,mine is fine and connecting ok now no problem.Going keep it the way it is,.I can take some shots of it if you like.It's really nicely made,I am happy with it.

Shame I can't use Ape,Ape is to much for me to buy,If I had the money I would though.

Dose anyone know if the full version of APE will work with this..?? We know Pro System dose,cos of Rays videos and I have tried it.

Spanner, not be a weenie on this.. but both APE and Pro System are part of the same copywritten software. It works fantastic! and if you like it, and you think its worth while you should register it on the AtariMax site (pay for it) or be happy with the trial version. There is RespeQT and AspeQT and you can use those free.

James

Spanner, not be a weenie on this.. but both APE and Pro System are part of the same copywritten software. It works fantastic! and if you like it, and you think its worth while you should register it on the AtariMax site (pay for it) or be happy with the trial version. There is RespeQT and AspeQT and you can use those free.

James

I would if I could,It took me a month to save up for this,I am on benefit,I don't get a lot,Be going through a appeal at the moment (its taken a year so far)so they have cut my money,I only get £146 a fortnight to live on.The Ape software is about £39 in pounds.and I can't afford it.I have to stick with AspeQT at the moment,the trial version don't work with it.My money last me a day once I have paid my bills and that.The pounds is not as strong as it was cos of the EU Refeendum. Anyway rant over..:)

Edited by Spanner

• 1 year later...