IGNORED

Video of Bally Dealer Demo Cartridge

ballyalley

I created a video of the 1978 Bally Dealer Demo cartridge running for the full two-minutes of the video. This 4K cartridge (#6001) is part of the Functional Series. According to Mike White:

"This cartridge was not sold to the general public and was only produced in limited quantities. The only public sales began in 1983 and came from ABC Hobbycraft (who acquired Astrocade's remaining inventory). The cartridge runs about two minutes and features the "built in" software of the Bally console. Written by Dick Ainsworth."

You can view the video here:

In case the link every breaks again, here it is as plain-text:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZQXYfaH7ZI

I was pretty surprised to see that a video of this cartridge running isn't already available.

Enjoy!

Adam

Edited by ballyalley
Added link to Dealer Demo again. It was deleted during a past upgrade of the forum.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Any idea about the value of this Dealer Demo cartridge? I have the opportunity to purchase a new in blister pack Demo cart for $100 shipped and was wondering if that's a decent deal or not, in your guys' opinions? I see there are a couple on eBay right now, one for $181.50 and another for a laugher of a price, $399.99. The only price history I could find was on GameValueNow.com, which had two loose cart sales: one on 7/9/17 for $49.99 and another on 10/15/19 for $72. There obviously have not been enough sales to dictate a true "market price," especially for a sealed one, but any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

They used to be pretty cheap nos when the guy was selling them on ebay...i think like $15-20?

But since those sold out its pretty uncommon again. As there was likely no other source for them they will only now show up when a collector parts with them.

Depending how bad you want to secure one i dont think $100 is too bad. I have seen them get listed all crazy numbers since they sold out.

I cant imagine them going under $50 anymore if even close to that.

6 minutes ago, stupus said:

They used to be pretty cheap nos when the guy was selling them on ebay...i think like $15-20?

Yeah, I haven't seen these NOS Dealer Demo cartridges for quite a few years.  I'm cheap and I would never pay $100 for an already-archived cartridge.  Also, it's not even a playable cart.  Still, it's quite rare, I think.  If it's still sealed, then I'd say between $50-$100 might be about right.  Keep in mind that there is also a Bally BASIC Demo which is MUCH rarer than the Dealer Demo cart.  As always, if $100 sounds about right to you, then pick it up.  You might find it for $70 in three months, or you may find it for $130 at that time.  In the meantime, if you buy it today, then you'll be able to use the cartridge.  Then again, it is on the Astrocade multicarts and I bet you have one of those carts already.

Adam

• Like 1

Yeah the basic demo is really crazy rare. I have only seen 1 and it had no label but had the chain.

No idea what they might go for....alot more i think.

The dealer demo should definitely be bought only as a collector piece and i agree with adam, its a waiting game and you might pay more or less down the road with an unknown wait time.

Thanks for the feedback, @stupus and @ballyalley. I do have an UltiMulti so I could always check it out on there, very true. I would most assuredly not break the seal on this item if I were to purchase it. I'm all about ripping open NOS games to play, assuming they are reasonably inexpensive to obtain, but I would have a hard time justifying opening up a sealed dealer demo that cost me $100. 

Just watched your video of the Basic Dealer Demo on YouTube, Adam. Pretty cool!

20 minutes ago, sixersfan105 said:

Just watched your video of the Basic Dealer Demo on YouTube, Adam. Pretty cool!

I'm glad that you liked it.  I just noticed that the link isn't in the first post in this thread anymore.  I wonder what happened to it?

The Bally BASIC Demo can be watched here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGlqIZfnB3M

I think that demo is cool because it showed the simplicity of what Bally expected people to make with it.  The games that people ended up writing in Bally BASIC and AstroBASIC probably passed everyone's wildest expectations.  The big breakthrough was when people learned how to incorporate CALLs to the machine language routines in the system ROM.

Adam

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ballyalley said:

I'm glad that you liked it.  I just noticed that the link isn't in the first post in this thread anymore.  I wonder what happened to it?

Ah yeah, I noticed that, too. I think it may have gotten lost in the forum upgrade a year or so ago. I noticed that happened to lots of older linked pictures, too. If you would like to re-link the Bally Dealer Demo (recognizing that is different than the link to the Bally BASIC Demo that you linked above), I recommend contacting @Albert and he can grant you editing privileges for that initial post of this thread.

8 minutes ago, Albert said:

Done!

Thank, Albert!  I think I might have been able to already edit my posts for an an extended time in this Astrocade sub-forum... but maybe not...?   Either way, the first post has been edited and the link to the Dealer Demo has been added to it again.

(It's always neat to see these older posts pop again from time to time.)

Adam

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sixersfan105 said:

Any idea about the value of this Dealer Demo cartridge? I have the opportunity to purchase a new in blister pack Demo cart for $100 shipped and was wondering if that's a decent deal or not, in your guys' opinions? I see there are a couple on eBay right now, one for $181.50 and another for a laugher of a price, $399.99. The only price history I could find was on GameValueNow.com, which had two loose cart sales: one on 7/9/17 for $49.99 and another on 10/15/19 for $72. There obviously have not been enough sales to dictate a true "market price," especially for a sealed one, but any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

I sold several of these over the years.  Most sold for $25 to $55 but this was years ago.  These are hard to get now.  If you are ok spending $100 then I would grab it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, glazball said:

I picked one up about 5 years ago for $20 and it's still in the blister pack.  If you happen to find one loose @sixersfan105 I'd be happy to trade.  For most systems I typically prefer to have carts loose, but I can't justify breaking open the blister pack to play the demo I already have on the multi-cart.

That's a nice offer! I'll certainly keep that in mind should I ever come across a loose one. 

• 4 months later...
On 1/19/2021 at 4:42 PM, stupus said:

I bought two at around that price roughly a dozen years ago. Looking back, I wish I had bought more.