IGNORED

New Atari ST setup?

MaDDuck

For reasons beyond my control, my one owner, 520STFM, games, utilities, everything! is gone.

I have to start over. :(

I have been looking over best-electronics new or myatari

I am fearful about getting one from eBay. When people list it as untested, it could be roach infested or worse...

Has anyone here bought one from them? Is it worth it to get a newish system with a 90 day warranty?

Now I just have to dig on line to replace my software. That will be no fun at all. :mad:

What do you want to get?

A regular stock 520? 1040?

STE?

Megas?

Brian

Good question.

I'd like to go either 1040STE or a 520STF with 1 MB of RAM or more.

A Mega 2 ST would be great, but a bit ritch for my blood.

Edited by MaDDuck

For reasons beyond my control, my one owner, 520STFM, games, utilities, everything! is gone.

Now I just have to dig on line to replace my software. That will be no fun at all. :mad:

I can't say anything about Best. What want to say is that every serious user needs to make backups of his SW, data. And keep it separated from original sources. That minimizes risk in case of fire, burglary and like. And that must not cost much.

You don't make backups of floppies on other floppies - it's unreliable, disks are expensive in compare to capacity.

I made my backups long time ago. Everything is now on hard disks, CDs, DVDs, Really important things on multiple storage. And there is cloud storage too. Backuping 1000 Atari floppies takes under 1GB, All you need is minor HW, some free SW and some time. In case of plenty floppies plenty time, of course. But nobody forces you to do all it in one breath.

• Like 1

The Ste would the best way to go! If you get it from best-electronics or myatari you'll have a warranty on your new St. ;)

That's what I'm thinking. I'd pay a bit more, but I would have as close to a new system as possible, no yellowing, etc...

Are either of the companies active on the forums? I've never ordered from either one before.

I'm budgeting about $500 for whichever ST and the CB102582-6 2nd Best monitor cable. Hopefully cubase will "fall off of a truck"... ;)

I don't think either Best or B&C (MyAtari) are active on the forums. I have only ordered 8-bit items from Brad at Best, but I recommend him highly. You might hear some different opinions from people here, but I feel very comfortable buying from him. At Best's site, an STE is $450. The reconditioned 1040ST is $275 and the new 1040 (I assume never sold and picked up from Atari's warehouse when Brad bought it out) is $325.

I know the prices are crazy, but it's a collector's market now. You'll find cheaper prices on eBay, but you won't know how good the item is until you receive it. I admit I'm not an online marketplace fan and I can't solder so I couldn't fix a non-working ST if it was DOA from eBay.

Therefore, for my ST fun, I simply use emulation (Hatari) instead. I know someone with an actual Mega STE so I can use the actual hardware when I want to try something out.

With Best, one thing to keep in mind is that his business has never really left the 1990s. If you're used to receiving tracking information on your purchase, forget about it. It's like the old mail order days. He ships quickly and the packages are well protected, but you'll know it arrived when it's on your front doorstep. I can't speak for B&C.

Bob C

I have been looking over best-electronics new or myatari

I am fearful about getting one from eBay. When people list it as untested, it could be roach infested or worse...

Has anyone here bought one from them? Is it worth it to get a newish system with a 90 day warranty?

I've bought a 1040STf and a 1040STe off the eBayz over the last year. The STf has a bad PSU (not usual), and the STe runs perfectly, but I may replace the PSU on that one once I'm done applying Exxos's 32Mhz speed booster. I'm a horrid solder guy, but I've installed a few mods requiring soldering and everything has worked on the first try. Don't let fear of repairs stop you from saving a bit. I think I got my 1040 STe with 4mb and TOS 1.06 for like $150 shipped, and could not be happier.

Hard part of buying on eBay is winning. It's risky, but I wouldn't write it off completely. I think a few years ago I bought a 800XL mobo from best electronics, but I've never personally bought a "like-new" system from either them or B&C (myatari).

Android8675, you have made some great points.

I love to tinker (I keep my 1985 Corvette running well) and I can solder, so doing some poking around under the hood is fine. I've turned two dead C64's into one working C64! :)

I just want to get a system, like the 520STFM that I bought new from The Floppy Wizard in Houston Tx, that is hassle free.

I am, right now, about to list my Amiga CD32, Competition pro CD32 pad, and other oddities from my collection to help with getting the St.

Want to trade????

I have had mixed luck buying systems from eBay in the past. I have gotten either damaged in shipping or POS passed off as working 2 Atari 600XLs, an Amiga A600, and a SX-64.

So I'm willing to pay a bit more for the piece of mind

Also...... I LOVE the new computer smell! :)

Edited by MaDDuck

• 4 weeks later...