IGNORED

Learning Lynx coding by hacking shaken

Turbo Laser Lynx

Hi, I've been tinkering with the shaken code/cart the last couple of nights trying to get a grasp of Lynx coding again. I managed removing some stuff from the intro in hopes of removing most stuff from shaken and then have an empty cart-game-template.

I switched out a few images and a couple seemed to be working nice and a couple of them had weird results, but I can't really see anything wrong with the make files or palettes or anything. Could it be I have some settings wrong in gimp when saving pcx files (I used indexed mode) or that gimp has gotten too modern? Does anyone have a clue? Any help appreciated.

As you can see the rainbow islands image and corsair is working fine, but the intro sprite and the warehouse bg are messed up. I don't see any stretching of the sprites in the code either.

post-2915-0-98329500-1472728370_thumb.jpg

post-2915-0-50741300-1472728380_thumb.jpg

post-2915-0-03776100-1472728409_thumb.jpg

shaken-smod3.zip

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx

Thanks, but I know all the basic stuff, I just want to create an "empty" game/cart template from Karris and/or Ninjabbas stuff for creating games "easily". PegSolitaire is built upon a template of Karri and is a good, easy to understand template in it self but I'm having trouble with the images both on that one and this. Learning about makefiles properly and trying to understand switching/loading stuff from ram is the biggest nuts to crack for me at the moment, and the pcx conversion to Lynx format. I still remember how to use the "old"CC65 and would be able to do small games with that fast, but I want to learn to use the newest stuff with all the improvements.

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx

• 4 years later...
On 9/1/2016 at 7:17 AM, Turbo Laser Lynx said:

Hi, I've been tinkering with the shaken code/cart the last couple of nights trying to get a grasp of Lynx coding again. I managed removing some stuff from the intro in hopes of removing most stuff from shaken and then have an empty cart-game-template.

I switched out a few images and a couple seemed to be working nice and a couple of them had weird results, but I can't really see anything wrong with the make files or palettes or anything. Could it be I have some settings wrong in gimp when saving pcx files (I used indexed mode) or that gimp has gotten too modern? Does anyone have a clue? Any help appreciated.

As you can see the rainbow islands image and corsair is working fine, but the intro sprite and the warehouse bg are messed up. I don't see any stretching of the sprites in the code either.

post-2915-0-98329500-1472728370_thumb.jpg

post-2915-0-50741300-1472728380_thumb.jpg

post-2915-0-03776100-1472728409_thumb.jpg

shaken-smod3.zip 532.47 kB · 95 downloads

Hello, Turbo Laser Lynx!

You started this topic several years ago. Do you remember the solution? I'm getting the same sort of corrupt sprite that you got back then. I actually got this back when I was doing my first Lynx programming, and I solved it, but now I can't remember what the answer was. This is just supposed to be a white cloud on a blue background. But it's introducing a lot of colors, not to mention giving it a very odd shape.

image.png.6f13a4fcba4c543c008107ee1f8a0a4c.png

Thanks!

1 hour ago, OldAtAtari said:

Hello, Turbo Laser Lynx!

You started this topic several years ago. Do you remember the solution? I'm getting the same sort of corrupt sprite that you got back then. I actually got this back when I was doing my first Lynx programming, and I solved it, but now I can't remember what the answer was. This is just supposed to be a white cloud on a blue background. But it's introducing a lot of colors, not to mention giving it a very odd shape.

image.png.6f13a4fcba4c543c008107ee1f8a0a4c.png

Thanks!

I found the answer in an old post by Karri! I have a 2-color sprite, and that means I need to set my game code to define it as BPP_1. Works like a charm!

• Like 1