S1500

Tombstone City - anyone go past day 1?

Of all the times I played it or watched others play it, it was always on day 1.

Has anyone gotten to day 2?

Could some competition winner please propose Tombstone City? ;)

I don't say that I'm too good at it, but I certainly survided some days. I guess I stopped playing it because there's just nothing new, which makes it uninteresting.

(Level 2 = Master)

post-35000-0-88311000-1472832880_thumb.png

• Like 1

I've made it to day two quite a few times--and I made it into day three once (barely, as I got killed almost immediately). Of course, that was about ten years ago. . .

Edited by Ksarul

Yes... I have reached Day three a few times. :)

If you havent spent any time with this game, please read the manual first, as the story/gameplay is not as intuitive as, say, Munchman.

• Like 1

We're really talking about this game?

I remember why I stopped playing it in those days ... got boring, unless you play level 3 (Insane).

post-35000-0-80245600-1472841740_thumb.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sure, I played the game a lot back in the day. I don't remember what day I reached, but it was over 3 I'm pretty sure. I remember it was frustrating to not be able to move/turn and shoot. I'll have to fire it up and see how high I can get. I like it for the most part, but it could be better.

I contemplated typing in the source code for this when I wanted to learn assembly... As a massochistic primer, so to speak.

I did not do it. :)

I did not mean to sound too overbearing ... in essence, you can play Tombstone City only when you know the few rules, but then it is actually not a big challenge anymore, maybe only when you play "insane" where two Morgs appear for each destroyed pair of saguaros. It's not like Invaders or Parsec that is getting faster and more difficult per level; here, there are only more saguaro pairs in later days.

I contemplated typing in the source code for this when I wanted to learn assembly... As a massochistic primer, so to speak.

I did not do it. :)

Not a good way to learn assembly IMO, but a good/interesting reference. I used the random number generator from Tombstone City back in the day, because I did not know how to make random numbers in assembly.

Here is a screenshot, I just gave it a go, for more than 2 minutes, for the first time in 30-ish years. Once you understand the mechanic it is not too difficult. The hardest part for me is positioning the schooner where I want it, since the game is played on the tile grid and moving just one tile can be touchy.

post-24952-0-03616500-1472954029_thumb.jpg

eheh... I remeber, back in the days, that I didn't understand a certain game mechanics (no spoiler)... I had reached day two only a couple of times, by chance.

I was a bit frustrated and stopped playing with Tombstone (I was only a little boy). After some time, I came back home after an holiday, and my father, who could not beat me at any TI game, was triumphantly waiting for me... because he did understand the game, so was able to reach day 6 or 7 rather easily! :-)

Finally he got his revenge! :-)

• Like 1

It is a real song, I cant remember the title but I think it is southern Texas or Western melody. I also think it has been discussed on the forum before. Can't remember for sure though.

• Like 1

I think the song is called "Hell in Texas". That reminds me of a quote by General Philip Henry Sheridan - "If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell!"

• Like 1

Been playing this game a fair amount this weekend. It's a really fun game, surprisingly addictive. Haven't got past day 1 yet. But it's an enjoyable little play for 10-20 minutes.

Daryn

• Like 1