IGNORED

Atari To Make a New Game Console

EvanCake

I can see this new Atari console now...

S-Video output, or HDTV coaxial output!

TWO action buttons!

retro-tacular numeric keypad

No online updates, etc since that "would just complicate things".

Updates of your favorite classics, which have been ported over & over for years. Yay pong!

This will be as specacular as the Chameleon.

• Like 2

It is cool that there are kids interested in Atari and these classic games systems. When I was moving about a month ago, one of the guys packing our stuff was very impressed with my classic consoles and computers. He was too young to have played these games "in the day" but could appreciate the games. He recognized my Intellivision and actually had the flashback console.

Why not? Maybe they can co-operate with Asian x86 tablet/pc in stick manufacturer and bring

quad core intel, 4gb ram, 32gb ssd and price under 100Euro with that case you have posted!

I will buy it! Perfect for Atari 800 and ST emulation.

You can do that now and just stick on your own Atari label.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I think Atari could make a comeback and become something better but it would have to start with what games it has left way before thinking about hardware. What they need to do is get with all the STB manufacturers and see about having a subscription based service where people can play all there favorites on those. For example I have a Channel Master DVR+ which is a great OTA DVR and devices like this would be great to play some of those older games on. I used to have dish network and they have dish games where you can play online games from your remote on the receiver. They could get with them about including an Atari section with subscribtion. All of these systems like this can't play modern games like you would find on Xbox One but can play older games just fine. Actually they could just get with TV manufacturers and have an app already installed for playing their games with a small subscription fee. I would have loved to be able to play Asteroids on my Dish network receiver back when i had it. Not sure if that is one that Atari owns but you get the idea.

I think Atari could make a comeback and become something better but it would have to start with what games it has left way before thinking about hardware. What they need to do is get with all the STB manufacturers and see about having a subscription based service where people can play all there favorites on those. For example I have a Channel Master DVR+ which is a great OTA DVR and devices like this would be great to play some of those older games on. I used to have dish network and they have dish games where you can play online games from your remote on the receiver. They could get with them about including an Atari section with subscribtion. All of these systems like this can't play modern games like you would find on Xbox One but can play older games just fine. Actually they could just get with TV manufacturers and have an app already installed for playing their games with a small subscription fee. I would have loved to be able to play Asteroids on my Dish network receiver back when i had it. Not sure if that is one that Atari owns but you get the idea.

They have a few hundred games or so left in their IP pool across various Atari platforms and PC. That's not enough for a subscription pool. While they may indeed do a some type of inexpensive branded set top box, there's just not a big market for those things. I think Atari's fate is to be roughly around the same size they are now and continuing to do what they've been doing, i.e., license their games to others and occasionally put the Atari label on various products like t-shirts, hats, miscellaneous electronics, and what-not. As fates go, it could be worse, as in letting the IPs languish completely like has what has happened with various other companies that were big in the 70s and 80s.

They could turn their IPs into something, but everything they own kinda languishes.

They sold the Battlezone IP, and boom! It's now a notable VR game.

They own the Rollercoaster Tycoon franchise, releasing new games to mediocre reviews.. While someone else copied the concept, released "Planet Coaster" to rave reviews.

They could turn their IPs into something, but everything they own kinda languishes.

They sold the Battlezone IP, and boom! It's now a notable VR game.

They own the Rollercoaster Tycoon franchise, releasing new games to mediocre reviews.. While someone else copied the concept, released "Planet Coaster" to rave reviews.

To be fair to Atari on those two games you mentioned, neither has exactly set the world on fire (although I do personally enjoy Battlezone VR). Atari has a limited pool of resources, so they release what they release.

• 4 weeks later...

What's actually missing from modern consoles are trackball and paddle controllers, and possibly a touchscreen interface (unsure if modern consoles do that other than the DS and 3DS)

If we're gonna have a new console whose controller isn't just another Xbox and Playstation controller clone, I'd like to see trackballs and paddles back.

I personally had a design for if I were to make a games console dedicated to classic games that involves 2 D-pads and a trackball on the main controller and paddles as an additional controller, with a few other peripherals that would make it sufficient to play games like Robotron, Missile Command, Kaboom, Gyruss, etc.

What's actually missing from modern consoles are trackball and paddle controllers, and possibly a touchscreen interface (unsure if modern consoles do that other than the DS and 3DS)

Well, I wonder if it would be possible for them to incorporate paddle functionality into the existing analog sticks, where as you can also twist them left to right to use just like you would the paddle controllers? Not sure if that would be an easy task with those little things though you already have an analog x and y axis plus a push button all in one, then adding the other I mentioned might be difficult but it would be cool though.

Remember this? http://amzn.to/2rKdEdM

41JHnTY7AqL.jpg

I doubt something like that will be tried again, although at AtGames we've considered doing something for PC.

Well that is pretty cool concept though. So when it says 360 degree spinner I guess it is referring to the part on the lower right around the thumbstick? If so that is exactly what I was trying to describe above other than spinning the thumbstick you spin the wheel around it. Why don't they just include that part on regular controllers(may have to make it slightly smaller so not to get in the way during regular games that don't need it)?

Edit: Also to double check if I were to get Atari Flashbacks for xbox 360 with pong that spinner would work just like a paddle controller right?

Edited by SignGuy81

Well that is pretty cool concept though. So when it says 360 degree spinner I guess it is referring to the part on the lower right around the thumbstick? If so that is exactly what I was trying to describe above other than spinning the thumbstick you spin the wheel around it. Why don't they just include that part on regular controllers(may have to make it slightly smaller so not to get in the way during regular games that don't need it)?

Edit: Also to double check if I were to get Atari Flashbacks for xbox 360 with pong that spinner would work just like a paddle controller right?

I never tried that controller myself, but it's my understanding that the spinner part does not necessarily work well and it has limited game compatibility. In any case, I never heard good things about it overall. Also, we didn't release Atari Flashback Vols 1 and 2 for the Xbox 360. We only released it for Xbox One and PS4.

I think the controller designs we have now, with dual analog sticks, some type of d-pad, buttons, and triggers, is probably the way things will stay. Including one-off features like a spinner - although we here would love it - would likely have limited appeal and would just add unnecessary cost (and bulk).

Edited by Bill Loguidice
  • Like 1

I had that Xbox "Arcade" controller for a little while, but didn't hold onto it for long. I think I returned it. It was a total spork, it tried to do too many things and failed at most of them. I think it was wired, too. Maybe it would be better on a PC but I kinda doubt it.

Trackballs are so great, but cheap wireless laser mouse controllers are probably way more reliable and certainly a lot cheaper. Moving a giant heavy ball around with your hand is more satisfying though.

Thanks a BUNCH, Bill, for putting the idea of getting an expensive jog dial back in my head, you insensitive clod.

Well, I wonder if it would be possible for them to incorporate paddle functionality into the existing analog sticks, where as you can also twist them left to right to use just like you would the paddle controllers? Not sure if that would be an easy task with those little things though you already have an analog x and y axis plus a push button all in one, then adding the other I mentioned might be difficult but it would be cool though.

I tried playing Kaboom with the analog stick of the PlayStation/Xbox controller and it sucks very hard. For one thing you're constantly fighting the centering force of the stick and 2, there's too little space for the joystick for you to make precise movements.

Altirra I think tried to use the sticks to imitate the paddle control sovthat ibsteaD of moving the stick left and right, you could turn it clockwise and counter-clockwise like you would on a real paddle, but i always needed to make like 10 circles for it to move slightly so that's highly glitched. Not to mention fighting the centering force again and having to push the stick "outwards" constantly, which is more effort than it sounds when you play the game and distracts you from your better performance in-game.

I have Atari Flashback Vol. 1 and 2 for PS4 and I found the touchpad works really well on the paddle games.

Never seen or heard of a touchpad for PS4 but if it's anything like a graphics tablet then in theory it should work well for paddle games. Edited by Tangentg

I tried playing Kaboom with the analog stick of the PlayStation/Xbox controller and it sucks very hard. For one thing you're constantly fighting the centering force of the stick and 2, there's too little space for the joystick for you to make precise movements.

Never seen or heard of a touchpad for PS4 but if it's anything like a graphics tablet then in theory it should work well for paddle games.

Keep in mind you can tune the analog sensitivity and other settings per game in the menu. It helps a lot with the games that made use of spinners, paddles, and trackballs.

The touchpad on the PS4 controller is that center portion of the controller. It's touch sensitive and also acts as another button.

AtGames also considered making classic controllers for the PS4 and Xbox One, but there's a lot of effort/certification involved, and the potential audience really isn't big enough to make the effort cost effective.

To be fair to Atari on those two games you mentioned, neither has exactly set the world on fire (although I do personally enjoy Battlezone VR). Atari has a limited pool of resources, so they release what they release.

Battlezone VR maybe didn't set the world on fire, but it's a high-profile use of the IP that has been dead for awhile.

But Roller Coaster Tycoon was a big deal as a PC game in its day. Frontier recently released "Planet Coaster", which is a game that is really a modern RCT in all but name. It's well-received with a metacritic score of 84/100. Contrast that to Roller Coaster Tycoon World with a metacritic score of 43/100. You're probably right they don't have resources to do better, but perhaps with more foresight that could have struck a publishing deal for 'Planet Coaster' to make it a proper RCT game- Planet Coaster benefits from having a recognizable name, raising its profile and Atari benefits from a quality game people want to play-- something they sorely need.