IGNORED

ColecoVision Controller Port Replacement Part

malarrya

Hello everyone, I'm so happy I found this forum and am learning an amazing amount about the CV and all the mods and repairs.

I recently got a second non-working ColecoVision off eBay fairly cheap and while I got it working perfectly, after simply desoldering the power switch and cleaning, controller port #1 has broken metal pins and plastic pegs so it was very loose and coming detached from the motherboard. I desoldered it and am ready to replace with a new one, however, the trouble I am having is actually finding this particular replacement part.

A very bad image (I think it the right part?) is found at this site but I was hoping someone could direct me to more sites with this part or to board members who sell this part.

http://coleco.freeservers.com/hobby.htm

(scroll down to about 1/4 of the page).

The image is so bad I can't tell for sure if this is the correct part. If you have links to better images or sites with this part please let me know. I can't wait to hear from you all. :)

Thanks for reading,
Larry

post-47537-0-93607600-1472856110_thumb.png

Hello everyone, I'm so happy I found this forum and am learning an amazing amount about the CV and all the mods and repairs.

I recently got a second non-working ColecoVision off eBay fairly cheap and while I got it working perfectly, after simply desoldering the power switch and cleaning, controller port #1 has broken metal pins and plastic pegs so it was very loose and coming detached from the motherboard. I desoldered it and am ready to replace with a new one, however, the trouble I am having is actually finding this particular replacement part.

A very bad image (I think it the right part?) is found at this site but I was hoping someone could direct me to more sites with this part or to board members who sell this part.

The image is so bad I can't tell for sure if this is the correct part. If you have links to better images or sites with this part please let me know. I can't wait to hear from you all. :)

Thanks for reading,

Larry

While I can't confirm thats the part you need, I can tell you I have shopped with eColeco before and they might just have what you need, I'm sure you can email them to verify is correct.

• Like 1

Thanks for reading,

Larry

I recently came across some cheap replacement controller ports, let me know and I'll hook you up for what I paid + shipping:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/18190-the-official-thrift-finds-thread/?p=3577023

• Like 1

I recently came across some cheap replacement controller ports, let me know and I'll hook you up for what I paid + shipping:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/18190-the-official-thrift-finds-thread/?p=3577023

Aww man, I already ordered the part from the http://coleco.freeservers.com pagefor quite a lot more than you have them. I don't think I can cancel but at least I am helping out a small business. If I need another I will definitely get them from you.

Aww man, I already ordered the part from the http://coleco.freeservers.com pagefor quite a lot more than you have them. I don't think I can cancel but at least I am helping out a small business. If I need another I will definitely get them from you.

Ah well, like you said, supporting a small business. I was in your shoes a few years ago and paid $10+ for one, that's why I grabbed the ones I did for future use.

• Like 1

Did they have an actual part number on the reset switches and how many did they have? I might be interested in a bunch of reset switches for a new project, possibly some controller connectors as well. ;)

I assume you're talking about the colecovision reset switch? They had a bunch, but I don't know if they had a part number or what. I can double check next time I'm in that area, and could probably pick some up for you. If you're referring to the atari switches, they are power switches, not reset. PM me if you're interested.

Thanks for all the help guys, I got the new controller port 1 installed (albeit messy). Everything now works except FIRE 1 and 2 (left and right side buttons). Getting the old pins out proved a bit difficult as they were shattered and my soldering skills suck so I may have messed up the traces. I was wondering if someone can help me identify PINS 1 thru 9 and the corresponding pins on the controller chip.

Here's what I am thinking the pins represent (please correct any mistakes) I'd like to run a tiny wire on the BOTTOM of the Motherboard from the FIRE BUTTON 1 and 2 PINS to the proper pin of the controller chip so it activates the buttons. I think the image represents viewing the female controller cord end. It also nicely corresponds to the bottom of the motherboard turned so the 4 pins are closest to you or lower than the 5 pins.

dsub_9_f.gif

1. UP
  2. DOWN
  3. LEFT
  4. RIGHT
  5. ???
  6. LEFT FIRE?
  7. ???
  8. RIGHT FIRE?
  9. ???

Thanks again for all the help,
Larry

Edited by malarrya

Here is a link to the Controller schematic:

http://www.chromesphere.com/coleco/Documents/ColecoController.jpg

If everything except the fire buttons work, most likely pin 6 or trace is damaged.

Here is the schematic for the motherboard:

https://console5.com/techwiki/images/b/b4/Colecovision-Schematic---Controller-Interface.png

• Like 1

I got BOTH fire buttons working by running a jumper wire from pin 6 to the 6th contact on the board as shown in the image. Running a wire from pin 8 to the 8th contact caused ALL buttons to stop working. I guess I just wasn't testing the right fire button correctly and thought it didn't work. Really, I am not sure what exactly happened. I suppose it's possible that since the LEFT FIRE did not work the RIGHT FIRE didn't as well?

Anyways, the CV runs perfect now, even with my bad soldering job. :)

Thanks for everyone's help!

post-47537-0-01559800-1473698957_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Chiming in and resurrecting this thread to say that this is the only solution that got my Colecovision working again!

My controller port 1 was completely fried… Poor Colecovision has been on the shelf for months! Every Colecovision schematic and motherboard photo on the web seems to be wrong. I’m not 100% sure about this, but you can find Bmack’s schematics PNG through the wayback machine.

I had removed in the controller port, and followed the traces to component U25. The schematic illustrates that controller pin 6 ties into pin 7 on U25. However malarrya resolved that pin 6 ties to pin 6 on U25. Did this, and SUCCESS!

Am I interpreting the schematic incorrectly? If not, either the schematic is wrong, or there are different motherboard designs. OR I suppose it’s possible that pin 6 could go to either pin 6 or 7 on U25 (didn’t properly document that).

Whatever the case, I’m grateful for this thread, but I’m concerned that there is not enough peer-reviewed documentation out there to validate the CV architecture.

Can anyone confirm or post a correct schematic?