IGNORED

Castlevania Super Game

GraziGamer

Cool!

Is it a port of the MSX version? :)

Nope, this is new. The code is new and the kind is a kind of remix of the original NES version with many exploration elements added.

The MSX version is for the MSX2 btw, so a direct port isn't possible (or even that desirable, since the NES version is far superior in terms of gameplay IMHO).

And the gfx is all new. I can post some screenshots later.

• Like 7

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Now that I am still trying to figure out what to do about DKA (after the lawyer thing) and will soon be moving to the SGM2/OMNI, I am considering finish this game and put it out.

Maybe some input here can help, although this sort of discussion usually is inconclusive in my experience.

The dilemma with Castlevania is that the CV has no hardware scroll, so smooth scrolling in such a complex game as Castlevania is out of question.

That takes to two possible paths:

1) who cares about smooth scrolling, we do NES Castlevania with course scrolling

2) we fundamentally change the game mechanics from an arcade action to an adventure exploration game, with static screen and fast in-between screens scrolling, like La Mulana.

Both are valid options and have pros and cons IMHO, but the game mechanics must be selected now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, opcode said:

2) we fundamentally change the game mechanics from an arcade action to an adventure exploration game, with static screen and fast in-between screens scrolling, like La Mulana.

Both are valid options and have pros and cons IMHO, but the game mechanics must be selected now.

I don't think there's too much lost with making it a flip screen game if it makes it a superior overall experience. After all, it's not like there aren't many other ways to play the game, and this would be one of the ways it would make it a unique ColecoVision offering.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, opcode said:

Now that I am still trying to figure out what to do about DKA (after the lawyer thing) and will soon be moving to the SGM2/OMNI, I am considering finish this game and put it out.

Maybe some input here can help, although this sort of discussion usually is inconclusive in my experience.

The dilemma with Castlevania is that the CV has no hardware scroll, so smooth scrolling in such a complex game as Castlevania is out of question.

That takes to two possible paths:

1) who cares about smooth scrolling, we do NES Castlevania with course scrolling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally would prefer option 2.

I think option #2 would be great; assuming I understand the two different choices.  I like the idea of a less linear Castlevania game with player progression occurring one screen at a time.  

I'm not sure what kind of changes this would involve in gameplay but it could really open up some non-linear traveling from screen to screen and clever ways to get around a maze like castle. 

Like the ability to purposely fall down a pit from an above screen and landing on an otherwise inaccessible platform on a screen below.  Secret areas could be accessed this way.   

Areas/items revealed to player but not yet accessible until later on through an alternate route from an adjacent screen.  I haven't played it but MSX Vampire Hunter seems to be like this. 

Backtracking could be implemented by returning to door with a specific key or an impassable area can later be passed with a specific item/ability just like Metroid and/or MetroidVania. 

Even items/keys/doors could be randomized perhaps to increase replay-ability and so that each play-through is unique. 

Edited by rodge2001
  • Like 2

On 8/5/2019 at 5:53 PM, opcode said:

I am not a fan of the MSX version. Besides, it is a MSX2 game. 

Porting the NES version instead. 

That's cool. Screen at a time progress is fine by me and has the potential to be more engaging than typical scrolling stage design.

Even if it's based on the NES version, giving each screen a unique layout would go a long way to delivering an experience that doesn't feel like a compromise.

• 2 weeks later...