IGNORED

Altirra 2.80 released

phaeron

In this test version, or the next version, of Altirra would it be possible to have something similar to a Save State but more like a Save Machine. This would save all the setting on a bootable environment (carts, drive assignments, ram, os, etc) and could be associated with Altirra. Once saved it could be double clicked and the settings brought into Altirra and the 'machine' booted. This would be similar to using real hardware and inserting a cart, a disk and turning on the power.

As an example if I have a machine setup as follows allow it to be save in a non-run state so it boots when run:

Machine: 130xe

BASIC: selection

Cart: in this case The Writer's Tool which is assigned as an OSS 034M type

RAM: 128k

Disk1: The Writer's Tool Extension Disk

Disk2: data disk

also saving all other setting like video, audio, CPU option, etc.

Having this would allow you to collect 'bootable' states instead of actual running states (Save State) which do not save all the setting from what I can tell.

Thoughts?

T.E

So I did some more digging regarding my above post and found there is a /portablealt: switch. I created an alternate INI file for The Writer's Tool config that lauches Altirra for that purpose with the correct mapped ATR file and cartridge as a 130XE stock. While this is neat and works have an associated file type as I mention above would be pretty sweet.

T.E

So I did some more digging regarding my above post and found there is a /portablealt: switch. I created an alternate INI file for The Writer's Tool config that lauches Altirra for that purpose with the correct mapped ATR file and cartridge as a 130XE stock. While this is neat and works have an associated file type as I mention above would be pretty sweet.

T.E

Obviously I cannot speak for Phaeron, but at similar suggestions in the past he has mentioned a lack of enthusiasm for making Altirra more of a 'launcher platform' than it already is. I do understand you were not asking exactly for that usage model though and I certainly like the idea of a 'emulation state' type saving system. Even just a check-box enable/disable setup next to the peripheral list would be a really nice and time saving feature.

There is something along those lines under the 'System->Profile' dropdown-menu item. I personally have not had much success with that in the past though and - like what you describe to some extent - I also tend to shift quite a bit between different configurations depending on what I am doing. I guess the easiest way to do this is just to make a string of Altirra folders and keep a copy of the emulator in each, saving their respective configurations in the mobile *.INI file you have already discovered.

You might also want to look at the debbuger help re the save state, there is a basic type of save state in the file section but there's also one in the debuuger called .dumpsnap (I think), it may be a more heavy duty snap than the ordinary BUT one of our Dev people or Avery would be able to answer better...

And as I think you have found out you can boot different ini's through the command line so a simple batch file for each is all that's needed...

Booting altirra with a /? switch will show all the command lines..

Paul...

• Like 1

When Attempting to Format a disk image under DOS 2.0/2.50 dos using Altirra's R/O or VRWSafe write modes, one should expect an error 173 (I think) but not the following:

ERROR- 10K <- inverse letter K
I know that it doesn't affect Altirra's performance. Just a note.
Madi
Edited by Madi
  • Like 1

Guys, don't forget the wonderful profiles Avery added to Altirra. Not so much need for a bunch of .ini files really.

Sigh, yes you are right, they slipped out of my head...

I set one up but somehow managed to have an option change in it although I'd not changed that profile, whatever I did it seemed to taken on a change of OS which I'd done to mess about with not thinking it changed the profile, I thought you had to save it to change it 100%

Sigh, yes you are right, they slipped out of my head...

I set one up but somehow managed to have an option change in it although I'd not changed that profile, whatever I did it seemed to taken on a change of OS which I'd done to mess about with not thinking it changed the profile, I thought you had to save it to change it 100%

I think it could use some documentation. And pardon me if that has already been done in the 2.80 final release (I'm still on 2.80 t50 at the moment). I don't mind figuring it out (I've already got a decent handle on it) and giving a shot at documenting. We'll see what the future holds.

Is anyone experiencing problems with the IDE +2.0 and not being able to use the Load executable function of the START+F5 menu.. with the latest 2.90 test4 build..

Quoting self as Bump ... still having problems running executable files from the bios15 menu with emulator but not Real hardware.

I assume most folks are using Atilrra with the actual Atari ROM files.

Today I was running some tests trying out the AltirraOS ROMs that come pre-loaded with Altirra 2.80.

I noted something different.

When using the actual Atari ROM files ( or on actual Atari hardware of course ) you will see that location $0062 is set to $00 when in NTSC mode, and set to $01 when in PAL mode.

However, when using the AltirraOS ROM files location $0062 is still set to $00 when in NTSC mode BUT it is set to $FF when in PAL mode.

Has anyone else noticed this? Any idea why this is the case?

DEC used instead of INC to set the PAL flag? Doesn't matter since non-zero means PAL.

Makes sense, but this behavior can definitely cause problems if a program uses the value directly.

Example:

J=10-PEEK(98)*2

When using actual Atari ROM this will result in either J=10 for NTSC, or J=8 for PAL.

However, using the AltirraOS ROM in PAL mode it results in -500 !

I have found a program that is crashing because of this exact situation (only in AltirraOS in PAL mode).

Edited by erichenneke

Works fine for me. Might help if you posted details on how it's not working for you....

After entering the bios menu (START+RESET)

post-10165-0-96971000-1474893870_thumb.png

Upon pressing L (oad executable)

post-10165-0-91044600-1474893886_thumb.png

Press SIO Drive 1 or A

post-10165-0-61386800-1474893902_thumb.png

Retry Drives C-O get this screen

post-10165-0-27531100-1474893918_thumb.png

Start+Reset to reset SDX on and press Cntr+B for a reboot of hard drive.

• Like 2

I would love a step by step tutorial... :)

And I'd like a million dollars tax free. ;)

But seriously... I suggest reading the help file (though it is lagging behind some of the features added to the program). Then post more specific questions in here that still remain (or arise) after reading it. I am much more likely to try and help with specific questions than to prepare a comprehensive step by step of all that is (or could be) involved. I can't speak for everyone, but I would bet most others around here feel about the same.