IGNORED

HSC13 R15: Moon Patrol & Diggerbonk

therealbountybob

I played the two games for a little while a few days ago:

Diggerbonk - 20,237 (Real hardware, NTSC)

post-4925-0-47395100-1474055343_thumb.jpg

Moon Patrol - 18,050 (Real hardware, NTSC)

post-4925-0-47308100-1474055344_thumb.jpg

I really didn't care for Diggerbonk at all. It was just boring. There wasn't much fun to it. Plus-- don't get me started about points nearly always getting subtracted from the score. Just bumping into the walls subtracts points. Rrr! The manual is also long-winded and makes the game seem much more confusing than it actually is to play.

Moon Patrol is great fun. I played both these games with my friend, and we ended up playing Moon Patrol on the C64 and TI-99/4a too. The C64 has annoying music. The Atari version of this was far better than the TI version, and just a bit better than the C64 version (which you almost have to play with the sound turned down-- what a shame!).

Also, after playing the Bally Arcade/Astrocade so much lately-- the Atari's screen resolution seems absolutely ultra hi-res compared to the Astrocade's screen resolution of 102x160!

Adam

You know, I just realized, I think I played Diggerbonk on the default level. I'm not going to play that again to get a valid score. Ah, well, maybe if all the games in the world get stolen by aliens and there is only Diggerbonk left then I'll... still pass it up for a good game of Solitaire or Checkers or, really, anything else.

Adam

I really didn't care for Diggerbonk at all. It was just boring. There wasn't much fun to it. Plus-- don't get me started about points nearly always getting subtracted from the score. Just bumping into the walls subtracts points. Rrr! The manual is also long-winded and makes the game seem much more confusing than it actually is to play.

Moon Patrol is great fun. I played both these games with my friend, and we ended up playing Moon Patrol on the C64 and TI-99/4a too. The C64 has annoying music. The Atari version of this was far better than the TI version, and just a bit better than the C64 version (which you almost have to play with the sound turned down-- what a shame!).

Also, after playing the Bally Arcade/Astrocade so much lately-- the Atari's screen resolution seems absolutely ultra hi-res compared to the Astrocade's screen resolution of 102x160!

Adam

You know, I just realized, I think I played Diggerbonk on the default level. I'm not going to play that again to get a valid score. Ah, well, maybe if all the games in the world get stolen by aliens and there is only Diggerbonk left then I'll... still pass it up for a good game of Solitaire or Checkers or, really, anything else.

Adam

At first I thought Diggerbonk was way too easy / boring, but the author said to try and get 30K on each level - level 7 is challenging and makes the game more playable. You find yourself risking going low on the screen to get things before they are scrolled off and having to use your emergency break-through too soon... it's a grower :)

Wonder if the other Moon Patrols have a 3rd skill level on round 3 ?

At first I thought Diggerbonk was way too easy / boring, but the author said to try and get 30K on each level - level 7 is challenging and makes the game more playable. You find yourself risking going low on the screen to get things before they are scrolled off and having to use your emergency break-through too soon... it's a grower :)

Wonder if the other Moon Patrols have a 3rd skill level on round 3 ?

I cannot pass 2nd level... I've played more, but I can't beat my own record :mad:

I missed a few games but i'm back

Guess who's back... :music: :music: :music: :thumbsup:

There'll be a catch up round soonish.

devwebcl - "I cannot pass 2nd level... I've played more, but I can't beat my own record :mad:"

If it's round Q slow down and it's not so bad...

MP 41,800 r1 and 66,850 reached R on the 2nd round

DB 19,656 (lv 7)

Reminder this round closes 10pm UK time tonight - in about 3 hours :)

Had a couple more goes 66,850 then 67,550 but keep blowing it around stage R, nearly had a clean first round with jumps to get more points but got swindled when the last bomb on X blew a hole right at the start of Y which I decided to investigate with my buggy :-D

With some serious patrolling McKong wins the round :thumbsup: :thumbsup: krupkaj's Moon Patrol record survives... again!. Thanks for playing everyone, checkout Diggerbonk if you didn't play it, probably skill 6 is a fair challenge (press Start then Select to pick level then Start again).

We'll start the next round tomorrow night so still time for suggestions (or votes) on the Round 16 POLL thread :)

Final tables

Moon Patrol

1st McKong (p) 109,800 12pts
2nd Dope (n) 69,100 11pts
3rd therealbountybob (p) 67,550 10pts
4th Bunsen (p) 67,100 9pts
5th orpheuswaking (n) 53,450 8pts

6th devwebcl (n) 53,000 7pts
7th Deteacher (n) 51,450 6pts
8th roadrunner (n) 24,650 5pts
9th Mister-VCS (p) 21,850 4pts
10th Sikor (p) 21,000 3pts