IGNORED

Atari ST in the Movies

• 1 month later...

Love this, but I'm still sad they killed off Nicky! :(

Whoaaa spoler! lol

Yeah I saw it too, it seems to just be on the desk she is using not actually connecting to it but you probably could still use one as a terminal to a network the same way CITRIX did for IBM But hey it would never be an Amiga 500 which is one of the ugliest computer case designs ever haha

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2019 at 11:29 PM, tjlazer said:

Lol at the mouse! I guess the person who set it up was Computer illiterate atariage_icon_wink.gif

Looks like it was moved aside for all those papers...

Anyways, the ST also showed up in a deleted scene from Reservoir Dogs ("Background Check") where a policewoman used it to look up Mr. White's record....well, it used as a terminal so no mouse or GEM.

https://youtu.be/TjXhaXbT9cc?t=1m20s

On 12/13/2019 at 9:34 AM, mrentropy said:

Not a movie, but I could have sworn a Mega ST made it's way onto Married... With Children near the end of the run (I remember it being on the desk behind the couch, between the stairs and back sliding door).

Anyways, for more fun there's: http://www.starringthecomputer.com/

If I recall correctly, it was a Mega STe.  Buck had previously had an XE Game System and a 5200.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I used my ST to enhance a visual effect in the 1999 movie, "The Mummy." In the movie the stunt person mummy used a foam knife to stab at Eve. When the stab happens, the tip of the foam knife folded over. My job was to digitally paint out the folded bit, which I did using an SGI workstation. It was a Friday and I finished late at night. Over the weekend I though it would add to the effect if I put a spark in there. I used Neochrome to test that I could draw a realistic spark. Yellow in the center, outer layers orange. Monday came and I tried to re-draw the spark on the SGI, in the Matador paint software. For some reason I could not get the organic spark look. Sort of "writers block." No matter what I tried I was getting a symmetrical, or too fake looking spark. Monday I brought in my spark on disc, we had a Mac or IBM with software to read disks of any format and I used the "Debabelizer" format conversion utility to make a .tiff if I recall. I copied the spark to the SGI file server and used Kodak Cineon software to composite the spark into the shot. Unfortunately, the organic looking spark I drew was not large on the ST screen, I sort of drew it with a few flicks of the wrist. It may have been 2 inches tall on the SC1224. When compositing it I had to blow it up several hundred percent to match the correct size of the 2048x1556 film scan. If you have the movie you can freeze-frame on the sparks and see the jaggies. 8) In dailies everyone was surprised to see the animated spark and the editor for the movie loved it and appreciated the extra mile. Maybe the only time an ST was used to do a visual effect for a big budget movie... 

neochrome_spark_small.png

• Like 14

• 1 year later...