IGNORED

ATX PSU in PEB mod

Sinphaltimus

Ok. Looky looky..things are better

Uh.. whenever Atariage allows me to post a video....I'll try again on a new post.. oh...you're taking my video now..hmm ok. 

I'm pointing to the taped up of all the unnecessary wiring. If you use black electrical tape just cover it with epoxy or something to keep it in place for when it dries out. My other wiring is headshrinked after solder. I have some black tape just used as a temporary identifier for my purpose only. But yup be careful with that kinda tape. No one wants to use it here if you can help it.

Here's what's up next..

IMG_20200726_100712659.jpg

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

Oh, that's different...

...nevermind.:ponder:

I almost sprang for one of these...

ATX P/S TESTERS...

...when my 64-bit Gigabyte Desktop, died last year.:_(

Hmmm.. maybe it's not dead. I've also got a GB motherboard and it's been just fine until, what I thought, was the ps going out.  I'll order a Corsair ps, and I should have done that originally. Ok, I'm gonna connect the bus power next.

I'm hopeful regardless.

• Like 1

I tested for power prior so I didn't just throw the cards in and power up. I first tried and rs-232 card as my first card since I don't even use it but I should get power to it and I forgot it won't power up a LED until it's being used so that was useless so I said well here we go interface card it's either Make It or Break It. And the interface card lit up so I moved on to the next card from there.

• Like 1

Next up, connection to the pi via that dashboard cabling. But not today, I want to give this power supply time before I blow it all up. So there's plenty of time to move these cables. Lol 

Thank you all, Michael Tursi For letting us know that this can work, Thiery's theory for wiring, and all the great people here with their thoughts and imagination.

Go get em!

One challenge I have had with -some- cards over the years is that the 5v regulators warmed up to 150-160F (70C) or hotter.  I ran (and run) my systems 24x7 and found that I needed to be diligent about heat sinks and thermal compound, where appropriate, and had to keep an eye on the electrolytic capacitors, particularly for a few Myarc cards.  During the past few years I've been using 5v "switching regulators" in my BBS system - the heat output never exceeds 100F and the power draw is lower.  Might be an opportunity for someone to start a related project thread to look more closely at the options if more people convert to the PC power supply.

• Like 3

I don't have any volt meter that's constantly reading all the cards and I'm not monitoring any heat Except for the raspberry pi temp and the first row of voltage regs on the new power supply. 

The PEB is running full time but not the console. 

Looks like 2 LED's are lit in the PEB- the memory card and TIpi.

The raspberry pi is running full time.

I'm showing a temp on the pi at 85

And the temp on the PS at 74.

There is a fan on both.

Ideally I'd like to know what the cards are doing with voltage and temp, but we'll just run the system and get back to programming again and just watch for anything out of the norm.

It's funny, I took a nap and was woken up by a sound like a gun shot, I said to myself that can't be my computer cuz it's off!  I said what? I'm dreaming my computer's exploding? Then later my son told me that was a motorcycle show on he was watching and one was backfiring.

Haha. 

I've been running a tape backup and the power for my tape drive and the two hard drives is powered by a separate PS, not the peb.

The TI PEB has been running a couple of hours no issues. 

The pi is not powered by the PEB but the fan on it is.

I'll eventually wire the USB ports on the pi to the dash panel USB ports that is sitting next to the floppy drive and the PEB. That way I can swap out my keyboard and mouse to the pi from the PEB side instead of going opening up the PEB case when  I need to get to the USB keyboard and mouse on the pi.

Edited by GDMike

19 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Let us know how things go after running for a while.  My concern with the project is the necessary head-room, generally 2V, for the 7812s on the cards pulling from the 12V power rail.

She's a running. I'm not seeing any smoke or weird stuff. Temps are staying the same on the pi and on the power supply. TI runs just fine. Again, I don't know the voltages or heat on the cards.

• Like 1

One day, when I can find a small volt/temp sensor I'll make a little box and I'll pull physical data from each card in the PEB and have each where I can see them altogether. But at the moment im waiting for time, it's something I want if this lasts long enough to spend the extra push to do that. 

This PS Better perform. But I'm thinking it might last a year or two. Compared to regular PC and how they have gone through PS's, I'm not too encouraged that it will last a couple of years. I know my Dell laptop is..hmmm like, 12 years old and it's been used by many members of the family. The battery needs replacing but the machine is running well. But my PC and my son's PC have both gone through 2 PS each in 4 years. They run 24/7.

My TI PEB will be on 24/7.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...