IGNORED

ATX PSU in PEB mod

Sinphaltimus

I personally would have gone with an industrial PSU, such as is used to drive industrial machines.  They are typically NOT ATX, but often provide the same voltages.  They are designed to take more abuse than a typical PC PSU.  You really dont want the GreenPC features of an ATX supply in this use case anyway, you want a PSU that can deliver power to a hungry appliance, do so 24/7, and do it with aplomb. 

Most PSUs on the market are not that kind of PSU.  You really do need to shop industrial.

• Like 1

I was about to ask which wires are 110 for input on the PEB transformer but I've read the schematic and it looks like it says the white is common and the black would be my input for 110 and the orange and brown would be a higher voltage input if I wanted to use that as an input. But since I'm using 110 it looks like my input wires are white and black with the other white wire on the transformer being for the fan.

I have a red dropping down to my power switch where I pick up the black wire to the transformer.

I took pictures of everything back in July and now I can't find any of my pictures of my disassembly go figure.

IMG_20200919_184223569.jpg

Edited by GDMike

Ok. Powered up and I took a reading from my 5v regulator. It's showing, on my meter, 4.20vdc. I'm not sure if that's ok, the input was 15. So I went ahead and replaced it, now I'm getting 4.24???

Is it because it's in the board with other components? The cap to the right has 4.24 also.

These are new regulators so I'm not sure if I should try another or not.

But I'm guessing, I dunno but maybe because it's in the board with other components.

I'll leave it alone until I hear back from you guys that know more on this stuff. Thanks! I've only got one meter too, I guess it could be the meter but my 12 is ok when I put it on my 12 v power supply, it's not part of this circuit.

IMG_20200919_190853605.jpg

Edited by GDMike

I'm getting 20, 4.2 and 10 on my outputs on that board. And btw, I don't feel any heat coming off the 7805. I did put down thermal paste, but I thought I'd get some heat. Also want to point out that this was all working prior to me switching out the PS.

I haven't added cards at this point as I'm just doing a voltage check just outta curiosity.

Edited by GDMike

Dud or has anyone rebuilt a newer Power supply for the PEB? I haven't seen anywhere, I have seen the ones for the console. Id imagine the transformer would also have to go Along with the fan.

But wouldn't it be less of a power hungry system?

I don't think we should be using these ATX PSupplies yet, well my test of using one showed it only lasted 3-4 months.

But I still think we could get a better board made for the PEB minus 220/240 inputs.

Edited by GDMike

I also found these voltages listed on paper, but they do not correspond with the color codes I found going to the 4 PEB slots, ie., Green/black and yellow/brown. But I did find these as shown.

Otherwise I'm getting like 25vdc and 54vdc on various other locations.

I just didn't feel like wiring without knowing what I should have on the existing outputs.

IMG_20200921_122438392.jpg

IMG_20200921_122533487.jpg

Edited by GDMike

On 9/6/2016 at 2:13 AM, Sinphaltimus said:

Just to verify both internal (DSK2) and external (DSK3) drives are working properly. DSK1 will be my GoTek as soon as it arrives.

14203295_10206906288607706_4227950325316

14199224_10206906289007716_8223890920030

Did I happen to mention how insanely quiet it is. Can't even tell its on until the TI gets turned on and you see the light. I may add a power LED to this just for that reason.

I happen to have an unaltered Gotek drive. I was originally going to put it in an Atari 1040STF ... but my enjoyment of that system has waned and looks like it will be hitting the Ebay sales listings soon. Once I find the information on how to add a Gotek to the PEB I think my days will be much more enjoyable.

On 9/19/2020 at 4:56 AM, wierd_w said:

I personally would have gone with an industrial PSU, such as is used to drive industrial machines.  They are typically NOT ATX, but often provide the same voltages.  They are designed to take more abuse than a typical PC PSU.  You really dont want the GreenPC features of an ATX supply in this use case anyway, you want a PSU that can deliver power to a hungry appliance, do so 24/7, and do it with aplomb. 

Most PSUs on the market are not that kind of PSU.  You really do need to shop industrial.

Recently I acquired some industrial PSU's ... will post more on these when I get home... The addition of the quieter powersupply and a Gotek Drive... oh man .. 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2020 at 7:05 AM, GDMike said:

I actually have one of those, but I'm not wanting to build a 8v section seperately, but I did just find an original transformer and power board. Just when I asked you vic announced his board..

Thanks so much.

YW keep me in the loop here. My PEB is LOUD!!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GDMike said:

Yep. But I've been inundated with another problem, I'm trying to work on my car fuel tank and fuel sending unit blah blah blah so always something going on. Hopefully I can get back to the ti by the weekend

I know how you feel, I just bought a Chevy Avalanche, with a locked up engine. Just got the old engine out and getting ready to set the good one in, then going on vacation for two weeks, be a bit before I get back on my TI stuff. Sigh...

• Thanks 1

Ahh..too bad, but I don't know why my pi won't boot all of a sudden. It's a raspberry pi 3B plus, and only gets the red solid light at boot. 

Power supplies New but I went ahead and tried another one same problem.

Formatted and tried two different images on this SD card and I got the same issue over and over four times, also tried fat32 vs using sd formatter. 

Nothing worked.

the laptop has no problem seeing the SD card at all and I can't see anything wrong with the pi card slot either.

Raspberry pi forum says check the pin one is 3.3 volts and it is.

So I don't know I went ahead and ordered another SD card and another pi.

Edited by GDMike