IGNORED

ATX PSU in PEB mod

Sinphaltimus

• 3 months later...
On 9/19/2020 at 6:56 AM, wierd_w said:

I personally would have gone with an industrial PSU, such as is used to drive industrial machines.  They are typically NOT ATX, but often provide the same voltages.  They are designed to take more abuse than a typical PC PSU.  You really dont want the GreenPC features of an ATX supply in this use case anyway, you want a PSU that can deliver power to a hungry appliance, do so 24/7, and do it with aplomb. 

Most PSUs on the market are not that kind of PSU.  You really do need to shop industrial.

Can I just supply 110ac to this PEB power supply and get my output anyway? It looks like the PEB transformer just allows different voltages to be input from 110-240, with 110 as the premier voltage input.

If so, which is my input for 110?

I'm asking because I haven't seen any docs showing that there is anything else but 110-240 coming out of the transformer??

And if I'm correct, the 2 wires by themselves on the opposite side of the board, opposite of the input, are 110 lines for the Peb 110vac fan .

IMG_20210202_075831028.jpg

Edited by GDMike

5 hours ago, GDMike said:

Can I just supply 110ac to this PEB power supply and get my output anyway?

If you are hoping for a spectacular light-show, weird smelling vapor, loud popping sounds, and possibly shrapnel!:-o

It looks like the PEB transformer just allows different voltages to be input from 110-240, with 110 as the premier voltage input.

While the transformer voltages do not seem to be available in the specs. You can believe that silicon voltage regulators of the day, can only handle a maximum  differential voltage of about 35vdc. Before that, the ac voltage is rectified into a dc voltage by diodes. This rectified dc is used to charge capacitors. Exceeding these capacitors' max. voltage rating, would be catastrophic(explosively so)!

Also, the transformer provides isolation from the utilities provider's HOT, NEUTRAL, lines. This isolation protects both user and equipment from damage/electrocution(really)!!!:-o

It should be a simple matter to determine the output voltages from a known good unit.

If so, which is my input for 110?

The specs I see, show 100, 115, 220, 240 vac. These taps from the primary coil are usually in an ascending order, as shown in the diagram.

I  would use the 115vac input, or whichever tap's voltage is rated slightly higher than the actual voltage to be input. If you connect a voltmeter to one of the output(secondary) taps and then monitor the voltage, while energizing the primary's taps individually, the 115v tap will be the one that shows the second from highest voltage from the output.

The voltage in most areas of this country is 120. While I recommended using the next higher rated tap on the primary... since the next higher rated tap is 220(too far out of range)... it would be best to use the 115 tap, although you will be overdriving it slightly.

P.S. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

https://archive.org/details/TI994AConsoleAndPeripheralExpansionSystemTechnicalData/page/n73

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I think miniature fans like this are needed for the regulators if you use a PC power supply.

Like I use on my PI3B+ is only 2 inch by 2 inch fan.

I have seen 1 inch by 1 inch fan before but have no idea where to get them.

• Like 1