IGNORED

Is advancing TV technology going to render older consoles obsolete to most?

D) The HD WEGA on the curb is probably there for a reason!

I doubt it makes much difference, you're still going to get scanlines. The newer HD set is more likely to have square corners, which I find more pleasing. It's completely subjective of course.

This speaks to it a little: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916396-super-nintendo/71038693

D) The HD WEGA on the curb is probably there for a reason!

I doubt it makes much difference, you're still going to get scanlines. The newer HD set is more likely to have square corners, which I find more pleasing. It's completely subjective of course.

This speaks to it a little: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916396-super-nintendo/71038693

Well sure...they got a flatscreen!

You shoulda seen the U-turn I did in front of Habitat for Humanity to make sure no one beat me to that 32 inch beauty. As if anyone but me for 50 miles would want it! :-D

• Like 1

How did you haul it away, muscles? It probably weighed 100 lbs!

I pulled my car right up to it on the grass, they had it outside getting rained on. Even lifting it into the car was reminding me of hernia surgery, and the crap I would get from my wife if I ripped a gut again picking up a damn near worthless (to anyone else) TV.

Even balancing it on my leg doing a weak man's lift left me with a bruise the exact shape of the front edge of the TV!

Dang! I hope it still works. And I hope it keeps on working ... sometimes these street finds power on just fine, and don't demonstrate why they were abandoned until they've warmed up for an hour.

(source: the old 13" CRT I grabbed from my neighbor's curb a few weeks ago for a little ColecoVision Flashback pseudo-retro action)

It appears that HD CRT at a point started to have digital framebuffers .... so no point.

It's possible they could be turned off. I haven't touched one in a while but disabling some of their signature video features under the "Advanced menu" as seen on page 65 of this instruction manual would probably produce some nice results for retro gaming. https://docs.sony.com/release/KV34HS510.pdf

These two things in particular:

HD Detailer: Wideband video amplifier has a high bandwidth frequency rating, which allows it to send more video information to the screen, resulting in finer picture quality, especially for HD sources.

CineMotion: Reverse 3-2 pulldown processing provides optimal picture quality for film-based sources (media originally shot in 24 frames-per-second format).

It is worth pointing out some TV that do have composite shares the ports with component. You had to physically unplug the component cable to use composite. switch box won't work, if the TV has one component ports you have to decide if it's worth giving up classic consoles and hook up component to DVD players or later game consoles, or give up component and go composite all the way.

My 32" Vizio is only 720 but it has separate composite, separate S-Video (auto switching so no plug swapping!), 2 component, 2 HDMI, and RF that supported older NTSC signal. Paid $150 for it slightly used and still working about 5 years later. So far it only fails on some 2600 games, both RF and composite modded.

How did you haul it away, muscles? It probably weighed 100 lbs!

The 27" Wega I got was 120 pounds and it was at the upper limit of my lifting ability. Based on how my fart sounded like, another 5 pounds and I would have had prolapsed rectum and slipped discs.

• Like 2

I pulled my car right up to it on the grass, they had it outside getting rained on. Even lifting it into the car was reminding me of hernia surgery, and the crap I would get from my wife if I ripped a gut again picking up a damn near worthless (to anyone else) TV.

Even balancing it on my leg doing a weak man's lift left me with a bruise the exact shape of the front edge of the TV!

Just did this on Labor Day, of all days. I feel your pain :)

It is worth pointing out some TV that do have composite shares the ports with component. You had to physically unplug the component cable to use composite. switch box won't work, if the TV has one component ports you have to decide if it's worth giving up classic consoles and hook up component to DVD players or later game consoles, or give up component and go composite all the way.

My 32" Vizio is only 720 but it has separate composite, separate S-Video (auto switching so no plug swapping!), 2 component, 2 HDMI, and RF that supported older NTSC signal. Paid $150 for it slightly used and still working about 5 years later. So far it only fails on some 2600 games, both RF and composite modded.

The 27" Wega I got was 120 pounds and it was at the upper limit of my lifting ability. Based on how my fart sounded like, another 5 pounds and I would have had prolapsed rectum and slipped discs.

Both y'all should like the set I just picked up. I've already got plenty so this spare is currently for offers:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/256741-interest-check-flat-wide-hd-crt-whdmi-in-and-remote/

.... But as long as there is coax you can always hook up a vcr. .....

...mmmmh .... no because it requires an analog tuner and many last gen TVs only offer a digital tuner (ATSC or DVB depending on continent) so the COAX plug is really useless to old console players.

Even the VCR signal needs to be tuned in (usually channel 3 or 4 in NTSC land, can't remember what PAL suggested) on an analog channel.

Obviously we can always seek out older tube TV's and early era flat screens, but can we expect that in 5-20 years a TV won't be able to play a 2600, NES or Genesis? Will this make classic gaming inaccessible to most who don't have the time/resources/space to seek out and set up in a special area a "retro gaming" TV?

There will always be upscalers available that people can use to display their old hardware on their new displays. The issue is as simple as that.

• Like 1

As was said before most tv's do have a shared composite/component conection. I owned my tv for quite a while before I realized this, I actually did not say it on the tv or in the manual. My tv has a weird issue of not always detecting component but if I switch back and forth inputs it works. Im not too worried I believe I will always be able to get my hands on free crts for the rest of my life, and I believe for me thats the way I'll always prefer to play.

My inlaws have a Vizio TV that I just couldn't get their old hand held plugin console to work on. To my credit it was at a fairly boozy holiday. If I recall it had this odd shared port setup for component / composite that was a new setup to me. Messing with the menus for a while just didn't seem to do much and now the little gaming box sits unused.

I see a similar device (or the same one) was mentioned here already: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/193098-new-led-tv-annoying-combined-ports/

A little switch box with component and composite connectors is easy to find if someone absolutely positively must have many old things hooked up at once. I've got stuff like that but life is intervening ...and now I'm starting to see the appeal of a single HDMI port for a DVR or streaming device and nothing else needed. I suspect much of the non-gaming world rolls that way. Aren't they WEIRD? :-P

In my limited experience with TVs, I noticed brands like Samsung are removing inputs and (in an older model) didn't seem to have good composite upscaling compared to an XRGB-Mini.

Recently I picked up a lesser brand TV (AOC, they usually do monitors) and I was pleasantly surprised that it had a lot of physical inputs except SVideo. All without those proprietary dongle cables which tend to get lost that seem common on my Samsung TVs

Edited by Newsdee

A little switch box with component and composite connectors is easy to find if someone absolutely positively must have many old things hooked up at once. I've got stuff like that but life is intervening ...and now I'm starting to see the appeal of a single HDMI port for a DVR or streaming device and nothing else needed. I suspect much of the non-gaming world rolls that way. Aren't they WEIRD? :-P

I think they're saying with a shared input, where yellow and green are combined together, a switchbox won't matter. Even though you could send composite through a green input on the switch box to the tv. The tv is not going to actually switch over to composite if it detects plugs inserted in Red/Blue.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. If these tv's do actually have manually selectable composite, even if you leave Red/Blue plugged up, then what I said above what actually work. For one component input on the switchbox, plug your composite source up to Green.

I think they're saying with a shared input, where yellow and green are combined together, a switchbox won't matter. Even though you could send composite through a green input on the switch box to the tv. The tv is not going to actually switch over to composite if it detects plugs inserted in Red/Blue.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. If these tv's do actually have manually selectable composite, even if you leave Red/Blue plugged up, then what I said above what actually work. For one component input on the switchbox, plug your composite source up to Green.

Whoops, you're right! It's either composite or component. I have a TV like that. Buyer beware when you get a TV/monitor, I suppose.

I got a weird setup or as my friends would say a mass of wires and switch boxes and all of it ending in an up converter going to the plasma via HDMI from a s-video input.

The one comment I did get from friends was the plasma looked to have a smoother animated frame for the 2600 hooked directly into it over the LCD. Anyone else notice this at all? I know thats probably a generic example but a Samsung 1080p 600 Hz plasma vs a Vizio 120HZ 55 1080p LCD is more precise for people that want a little more info.