IGNORED

Help: Dumping Cartridges for dummies

Marsupilami

I convert the .rom file to .car, and load it on eclaireXL within cartridge loader.

The cartridge load normally, and choosing the "I" option I see in my screen "Gerat nicht angeschlossen - Prufen!" message.

Not some error.

Thanks @santop. That's the "error" message it should gives (the one with the real cartridge on a real 800xl).

But it's not the message i have in Altirra so i guess Altirra (windows version) is a bit sensitive with the .ROM file.

At least your test shows that my dump is good :)

Edited by Marsupilami
  • Like 1

Thanks @santop. That's the "error" message it should gives (the one with the real cartridge on a real 800xl).

But it's not the message i have in Altirra so i guess Altirra (windows version) is a bit sensitive with the .ROM file.

At least your test shows that my dump is good :)

The crash with the garbage at the bottom appears to be a bug in the cartridge that manifests if you have the H: device enabled in the emulator and have also enabled the non-default option to also install it as D:.

The bug is that the cartridge's init routine checks for a D: device, and if it finds one, attempts to patch it. Problem is, it revectors D: in HATABS to garbage in the middle of the ROM, which causes a crash. This is done at the same time that E: is patched, so it was probably a remnant of an early attempt at putting DOS on-cart. If you boot DOS off of a disk, this doesn't happen because DOS adds the D: device after cartridge init has occurred. But if it's already there... kaboom.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Marsupilami,

To my mind, you have done everything right, have taken your rom dump and a DOS II 2.0S disk from Atari (which is written in the manual, of course in German) everything works like a charm with the Atari800MacX emulator on a Mac with 400/800 system, XL and XE. But the disk has to be inserted, before the cart starts. With you incredible help, please see the credits, I was able to finish the Schreiber site yesterday:

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Edit.jsp?page=Atari%20Schreiber

Remaining is just: does the cart take 8 KiB oder 16 KiB?

This is the picture, when everything is o. k.:

post-32599-0-70663300-1529434838_thumb.jpg

and this will occur, when, when the Schreiber disk (ATX image) is inserted, starting was from this disk and then made the "Inhaltsverzeichnis":

post-32599-0-63746800-1529434845_thumb.jpg

If you take away the SCHREIBER disk and insert a DOS II 2.0S disk, everything is o. k. :-)

So, you see Marsupilami, you have done everything all right, as always, it is just that German language... Will pass away...

Edited by luckybuck

• 10 months later...