IGNORED

Sears Math Gran Prix with Box - sold for $305.00

Zwackery

Just to let you know (I'm not sure you're referring to my scenario); those two examples I provided were both auctions STILL going - no BIN. That's what pissed me off.

I was referring to you supporting his statement.

To me it comes down to integrity. If I list something and realize I did something stupid I suck it up and do what's right. I'm not backing out on a commitment that I made. I was raised to be a man of my word. I'll never respect anyone that makes these kind of slimy sales or anyone that attempts the slimeball practices of offering more at an auctions end after someone else has a winning bid. To me this shows a complete lack of integrity.

Bill, I really wish sellers had this mindset. Let's face it, the whole *integrity* thing is a dying attribute.

So far, I had TWO auctions this past year ending prematurely. One was for an obscure pinball playfield; the other, a boxed Aquarius Melody Chase that the seller decided to sell to a local instead.

Unfortunately, what is your recourse? Send him a snarky message - that's about it.

Lets put it this way. If I go to the store and hand the clerk a $20 bill for something and then they realize the item was priced wrong and they hand me back the $20 that is fine.

Now I draw the line when a deal has been completely done. In other words when both people exchange. So when person A gets $$ and person B gets items it is done.

If I am at a yard sale and I hand someone $20 for an item the item is generally going to be in my hand so the deal is done. If I offer someone $20 for an item they have there and it is not in my possession and someone behind me offers more then they offered more.

Online a deal is technically not done until you get the item. Just the same as a store. There are many reason people cancel sales. You likely would not walk into a store and see a new blue ray with a $1.99 sticker on it and expect them to honor that price, because a clerk hit $1.99 instead of $19.99, they may but from my experience I have been told too bad.

Trying to say paying for a BIN that may have been mispriced and expecting someone to honor that is the same as slapping a $20 bill down on the table at a yard sale for a box of wii games marked $20 when in fact they may have meant $20 each or had someone offer more to hold the item.

Now if this would have been a live auction instead of a bin then I would view it a little different. If a auction goes through the motions and everyone bids then it is more of a dick move to back out of it, but it is what it is.

edit: Just for the record. I will not offer a price and then back out of it. I charge way too much for my stuff to ever have someone offer Hundreds more lol.

A paypal payment is a payment with a receipt for a specific item at the sellers specific asking price. If a seller of Wii games refuses your $20 over confusion on what is being offered that isn't the same thing. They haven't accepted your money and given you a receipt for your purchase for that exact item.
In the end, you are entitled to your opinion. My point is this. You should know that some (perhaps many would be a better word) of the people here do consider a deal done once they have completed their end of the bargain AND it has been accepted by the other party. While you may not agree but perhaps you can see where they are coming from. It isn't that unreasonable to think that some people would think this way is it?

No matter where you personally draw the line I think you are being too harsh on those who expect others to follow through on what they said they were going to do.

A paypal payment is a payment with a receipt for a specific item at the sellers specific asking price. If a seller of Wii games refuses your $20 over confusion on what is being offered that isn't the same thing. They haven't accepted your money and given you a receipt for your purchase for that exact item.

If an invoice was never sent then the seller never accepted the money either, you just threw it at them. Which most of the time is preferred. The seller refunding you is the same thing as NOT accepting your money!

If an invoice was never sent then the seller never accepted the money either, you just threw it at them. Which most of the time is preferred. The seller refunding you is the same thing as NOT accepting your money!

It is automated checkout. Just like Home Depot or the grocery store where you scan your own items.

The seller set the price and the description and offered it up for sale to the world.

Hardly throwing money at someone.

• Like 1

This is a tough subject to argue since both sides can be interpreted differently. Morally what about an auction for something that is woefully under priced but to where the proceeds are going to a charity. Would you feel bad at paying $100 for something that could have netted $300 for a needy cause?

I know that is not the typical case and definitely not the one here but eBay is a finicky business model where it does stand that the transaction is not done until both sides have completed the exchange. I could not tell you how many times I have had folks BIN something I had up then ask for the money back before I could even get it our the door and even at times after I did get it out the door to which I have never gotten the items back either but was forced to give back the money.

We all like good deals though and saving a few bucks here and there making a good purchase off eBay is a good feeling for both sides. I think in this case though as the seller I would have asked the buyer if he would have been wiling to pay more since the initial value was off giving him first dibs rather than auction it back off. I feel that would have been the most fair deal but not everyone deals that way and even buyers might be offended to pay a little more but value is all in the eyes of the buyer.

Let's just say it's ebay's fault then.:/

Seriously, I don't know on why ebay changed the limited time frame on *completed listings*??? It definitely helps when it comes to rare items that maybe just show up once in a couple of years. (If I'm not mistaken, couldn't you check it back for almost two years before ?) That criteria would have made that other boxed Sears Math show up - I believe it almost sold for the same amount?

The seller probably had a coronary with all the potential buyers pleading with him to end the auction early. Or he could've had a coronary seeing the dollar amount he accumulated on a horrible game. :grin: