IGNORED

It's not working... but it's a Falcon

Just got an alert for this system....

$700 and it's yours! All you need is a PSU, HDD, and Exxos to diagnose and fix whatever's wrong with it.

The case alone looks flawless save for a nick near the floppy drive.

Edit: This guy is selling a "MiNT" Falcon for $2,299. Wondering if $700 is worth it without any internal shots.

Edited by Android8675

She's a beauty....but hard to justify $700 for a non-functioning machine... especially one that has been poorly modded.

Mine has the clock patch too.. and I think it was poorly done as well. Seems like its quite common for those to be done haphazardly. Don't know why... but every one I've seen looks like they've been butchered.

Sigh.

Edited by vizfizz

Others might have a different opinion, but I don't think it's worth the asked price.

I understand the seller has gone to great lengths to make sure that whoever buys it, knows what he's getting, but still expensive for a non-working, with a high chance it might need an expensive repair, if at all possible...

I sympathise with the seller to the extent that he might have gotten the machine like this and might stand to lose money, but such are the risks of trading in almost 30 years old systems... My Falcon is working, but I'm fully aware that might change anytime and that it's living on borrowed time already...

On the other hand, if the asking price was a bit lower, I'm sure someone would take it...

• Like 1

I got two perfectly working Falcons, the second came with a bunch of other accessories (including a DAT backup drive and monitor). I paid in the $400's for the lone Falcon and about $1200 for the package. Plus, just to be mindful of this, they are both 220volt 50mhz UK Falcons (Not just because of the Keyboard, but the sticker on the bottom), not the 117v 60mhz American ones (and I noticed you were from CA). Not that this is a deal breaker if you know what you're doing, but if you are looking for your first Falcon and a plug-n-play experience, this might not be for you.

I think if you hold out, you'll find something more fitting and in a more reasonable price range.

B&C still has them? That page with ST hardware hasn't been updated in a long time.

I talked to them the other day. No Falcons in stock. They are "long gone" according to the owner..

He also commented on the prices on ebay as crazy and "worth their weight in gold...it seems".

He did however mention still having new STs and STEs available.

• Like 1

I talked to them the other day. No Falcons in stock. They are "long gone" according to the owner..

He also commented on the prices on ebay as crazy and "worth their weight in gold...it seems".

He did however mention still having new STs and STEs available.

I wish that Atari had made more of them, but then who knew they would be so desired??

B&C should really update their site, it's stuck in the 1990's

I wish that Atari had made more of them, but then who knew they would be so desired??

B&C should really update their site, it's stuck in the 1990's

I think people have been bugging them for that for years...

They just seem to want to do things the old fashioned way. Plus there is something to be said for direct client to vendor interaction. But I agree with you. It would be nice to go onto their site and actually see what's in the inventory.

Maybe because Atari no longer exists, they don't want people to know their inventory levels. It keeps people like us to keep checking back.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with that is when a site hasn't been updated in so long, you end up starting to think they are no longer around. This was the case for the Software Hut that sold Amiga stuff. For years the site said they still had some 68060 accelerators in stock, but you would try to email them about it and the responses took forever or never happened at all. Turned out they had sold off their inventory in an auction or something.

I should order something from B&C, been awhile. I think that is where I got my atari 850. Never did get around to actually using it, since I got it shortly before I got DSL.

• 2 weeks later...

Wouldnt single falcon owners always be stressing about trying to find replacement parts if a fault developed? Vs our Sts a lot of us will have half a dozen units , enough to keep one working a hundred years plus. :) (with regular capacitor replacements)

I cant ever see myself having the thousands to drop on a Falcon. Given the lack of parts most will be non functioning display pieces eventually. Maybe someone should make a hardware emulator for the Falcon then put into replica cases? I wouldnt mind that.