IGNORED

NOT Atari ST vs Amiga,

nd2003grad

But related. I've seen TONS of arguments around and they were partly what influenced me to buy an A500 as there seems to be little legitimate argument as to an Atari ST being better other than nostalgia. HOWEVER, I'm curious what community members' opinions are as to whether there is any value in having an ST? Or an Apple IIGS for that matter? It seems that this was an era where there was little exclusivity, especially on the end of those two machines. I don't collect just to collect, I collect mostly to play games. Thoughts?

I'm not sure which people read this section, so your answers may be heavily biased. What is true is that in the early years - perhaps 1985-87 or a little longer - there were far more ST games than Amiga games, mainly because Commodore were unwilling to lend equipment and give away documentation while Atari under Tramiel were eager to get a head start. Many of those games once converted to Amiga also didn't utilize the hardware, so often it is like playing an Atari ST game on the Amiga. On the other hand, I think the game supply turned the other way around once we entered a few years into the 90's, but I'm not entirely sure on that.

For a musician, built-in MIDI is handy on the ST but you could use an external interface on the Amiga to obtain that function. The ST has at least one native floppy disk format that is close to FAT-12 on the PC, but you just need to install CrossDOS to read such disks on the Amiga too.

I can't comment on the IIgs as I've never seen one in real life. Perhaps some of the more serious Amiga/ST games rather showed up on the Mac?

With the Apple IIGS being fairly much backward compatible with older versions of the Apple it had alot going for it. I love the games that were made for that era of Apples. The Amiga did support alot more graphics intensive games and had a large fan base. Comparing the Apple to the ST or Amiga may not be a fair comparison.

With the Apple IIGS being fairly much backward compatible with older versions of the Apple it had alot going for it. I love the games that were made for that era of Apples. The Amiga did support alot more graphics intensive games and had a large fan base. Comparing the Apple to the ST or Amiga may not be a fair comparison.

I've been trying to find out if there were many games exclusive to the IIGS without much luck. I guess I'm mostly curious between Atari and Amiga as to if there is much lost other than the music on not having an ST. In many ways, the music seems to be the big difference...

There are only a handful of games made for the expanded GS maybe 20 games?

The Amiga did not have built in MIDI but it's audio capabilities wer better than the ST because it can do 4 channels of 8bit audio simultaneously (8channes with software like Octamed) where the ST could only do 3 channels if memory serves.

If you care about games it comes down to who ported them.

Some were better on the ST some on the Amiga.

Looking at specs alone these days tells little, CPU is faster on the ST by ~10%, the Amiga can display 32 colors in low res (or 4096 for still images) from the get go versus the 16 of the ST low res (not sure how many games really used more than 16 bitd as it took extra power), the Amiga multitasked natively the ST needs MultiTOS (irrelevant for gaming), the ST had midi and some game did use it (but you'd need a decent synth to even start), the ST had a gorgeous b&w hi-res mode (but it needs a special monitor and it's really not for gaming), the Amiga can play samples natively while the ST has an FM chip, the Amiga has an integrated blitter that the ST got later in the STE (not sure how many games used it).

Really you will have to compare games to make a choice and some are better on the ST some on Amiga, also there are some exclusives that you may consider (I hated my friend with the ST because he could play an awesome port of Super Sprint and I couldn't, but he dropped his jaw the very first time he saw "Way of the little dragon" [which hasn't aged that well to be fair] or heard "the alley project" .... that'll serve him).

I also believe there was more Amiga stuff EU only (so you'd need to pick up a PAL one) ... not sure for the ST there was such a split.

• Like 1

But related. I've seen TONS of arguments around and they were partly what influenced me to buy an A500 as there seems to be little legitimate argument as to an Atari ST being better other than nostalgia. HOWEVER, I'm curious what community members' opinions are as to whether there is any value in having an ST? Or an Apple IIGS for that matter? It seems that this was an era where there was little exclusivity, especially on the end of those two machines. I don't collect just to collect, I collect mostly to play games. Thoughts?

That is my view of Amiga, nostalgia only,I have one but it's really just a console and not that great compared to other,and the horrid os... . ST/STE is much more useful. Either way own them both.

Edited by atarian63

That is my view of Amiga, nostalgia only,I have one but it's really just a console and not that great compared to other,and the horrid os... . ST/STE is much more useful. Either way own them both.

Woah! First person I've seen feel this way. I do understand that non-gaming gives some wins to Atari.

Woah! First person I've seen feel this way. I do understand that non-gaming gives some wins to Atari.

actually it's my goto for games of that era, Amiga for a few arcade games, but generally the STE see's more from me, heck I even have 2 in my office besides the one at home. A Mega STE and a regular ste. We sold both systems at the store I owned back in the day, St was always dominant till about 89 when Atari decided to focus on europe and they were hard to get so we stared push a500 a2000 a3000 because we could get those. Used to import games for both systems for europe so we had stuff 6 months or more ahead of us release.Has both systems cracking with stereo amp attaached playing the latest games. Fun days! I miss it (the era anyway).

Edited by atarian63
  • Like 1

I personally like the different feel you get from the tech of the era. Even the same software is subtlety different when played on a Mac II vs Amiga vs ST vs IBM clones.

If were just talking games, I'm sure there will be games on the ST that will never reach the Amiga, even though a few coders have been pumping out ports of some of the most egregious omissions (like Oids)

-edit- I also love the STacy - that's system has no 68K rival.

I think that the 'best' machine is the one that you get the most pleasure in using today. By all (or at least most) measures, the ST is a 'better' platform than the A8, but even though I have loads of TOS computers, I almost never use them. I'll never stop using the A8, though, so it's 'better' for me. The same is true for consoles and handhelds: I have a PS4 and a Vita, but I find them boring and enjoy the Dreamcast and my Lynx more. It sounds like the Amiga is 'best' for you. What else matters?

• Like 1

Bitd the rivalry ST/Amiga ran very deep, these days it seems all petty.

The main issue with the ST that I had is that to enjoy it in full you needed to have 2 monitors, but then again the interlaced res of Amiga was headache inducing so ... I can see why for productivity the ST was likely better (DTP/Music/Office kind of work).

OK, all I can help with is this. If I wanted to know about getting game system a even though I have game system b and game system a can be emulated near perfectly? Well then, I would emulate game system a and make up my mind based on that as to whether or not I thought a real physical game system a would be worth it.

From what I've seen on eBay, my Amiga 500 setup is worth around $500 for everything. I personally would not pay $500 for everything I have.
Which hurts, because I want an extra Amiga 500 to keep as a spare should mine die.

Amiga was mostly (99%) a games machine in Europe, nothing more. Oh some TV programs like The Chart Show used it for animation stuff.

But mainly, Amiga = games, as more than 10 UK gaming magazines dedicated to Amiga has proven. With the Amiga Batman Pack, Amiga overtook ST in gaming.

ST, games, and music, eg Fatboy Slim, Jean Michel Jarre, Madonna etc....

Oh yes, Jay Miner WANTED the Amiga to be a games machine anyway.

Even so, my personal choice, Amiga, easier to use out of the box.

Edited by high voltage