IGNORED

1010 frustration

Mister-VCS

Back in the day I adjusted mine using a stereo music cassette. Boot the machine, type POKE 54018,52 to turn on the tape motor and hit play. The music will play through the TV speaker. I would then adjust the screw until the music was clearest. I never drilled holes or removed the label, just very carefully removed the cassette door and replaced it afterward.

One advantage of the relatively slow data rate on SIO tape operations on the Atari is that head alignment isn't so critical as it was on for example some of the turbo loaders the C64 had. I remember my friend having nightmares with alignment on a C2N.

Back in the day I adjusted mine using a stereo music cassette. Boot the machine, type POKE 54018,52 to turn on the tape motor and hit play. The music will play through the TV speaker. I would then adjust the screw until the music was clearest. I never drilled holes or removed the label, just very carefully removed the cassette door and replaced it afterward.

One advantage of the relatively slow data rate on SIO tape operations on the Atari is that head alignment isn't so critical as it was on for example some of the turbo loaders the C64 had. I remember my friend having nightmares with alignment on a C2N.

How does one remove the cassette door?

I still use all media devices from the 1010 to SD cards. I don't mind the load times, I just start it and go do something else for 20 minutes. My success rate with loading a tape has been 50/50 since I really started using them again recently a lot (I was sent several tapes from a friend in the UK). But all these old tapes still do successfully load, even if it takes twice sometimes. I will try the adjustment screw to get a more reliable load, especially since I am just about to do a home-made Turbo 2000/Rambit turbo upgrade for it. I'm also going to install an audio input to use other devices like CD and MP3's and even older obsolete recording media too (it works in a similar fashion to loading tape images from AspeQT or APE). Also a few other bells and whistles like a real power switch (I have one of the 1010 that the LED always stays on when plugged in, and it bugs me) and some reading/writing and turbo mode LED's.

But I'm a big fan of all sorts of vintage audio/video/data playing and recording devices. It's all nostalgic fun to me. And I love to upgrade them.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

How does one remove the cassette door?

IIRC (and it has been a while) you need to squeeze at each side where the legs of the hinge on the door disappear into the main unit. Alternatively you can work one side at a time, pulling the door towards the other side. Basically there is a stop on each hinge which prevents the door opening too far and you need to move that past the side of the body.

I *think* there is an opening spring attached at the back of the door which you need to unhook once the door is free. Obviously reassembly is a reversal. Hook up the spring, put in one leg of the hinge and then squeeze/apply pressure to the other to clip it back into place.

The only tape i can get to work is Atari "Chess".

All other games (Frogger, European Countries, Ghostbusters): "load error"

I use an Atari PAL 600 XL with 1064. :?

Hi,

Put your tape in your 1010. Press fast forward until the end of the tape. Now press Rewind and wait... Then try to load your tape.

This will give the tape a better "standardized" alignement and the same "resistance" so If the 1010 motor / belt are tired, this will help a bit.

I may not work but sometimes it helps :)

• Like 1

Hi,

Put your tape in your 1010. Press fast forward until the end of the tape. Now press Rewind and wait... Then try to load your tape.

This will give the tape a better "standardized" alignement and the same "resistance" so If the 1010 motor / belt are tired, this will help a bit.

[Confusion ensues. "Now press Rewind and wait...". Wait for what? Are you just saying, fast forward the tape to its end' then rewind it completely? Pls clarify.

Oh and not all tapes can be loaded with Option and Start,I have a tape here that need to be load typing "CLOAD".Always read the inlay how to load the Program/Game.One program that uses "CLOAD" is "AN INVITATION TO PROGRAMMING" Clever,anyone know who's voice is used on the tape..?

Edited by Spanner

Hi,

Thank you - helped with Frogger but not wih Ghostbusters- yet

• Like 1

It's one of the few peripherals that Best Electronics does not have parts for.I am of course using the Best Catalog, the web site only has a fraction of what all they carry. they don't have the 1010 listed on the site, but it is in the catalog. There's a chance it's sold out, but maybe not.

Your best best is to find another used one for cheap and use one of them as a parts 1010. That's what I did a few years ago when one of my buttons broke.

If you attempt to fix it, I don't recommend trying to just glue it even with something like Super glue, parts like that that receive pressure on pressure points won't hold. I would recommend either a product like J.B. Weld (which would need to encase the area of the break) after the initial "glue fix" cures, or that newer tech that uses special polymers and the special UV "light pen" that cures it. Sorry I forget the name of the product.There's an "as seen on TV" version, but I'm sure name brand ones exist too.

Edited by Gunstar

It's one of the few peripherals that Best Electronics does not have parts for.I am of course using the Best Catalog, the web site only has a fraction of what all they carry. they don't have the 1010 listed on the site, but it is in the catalog. There's a chance it's sold out, but maybe not.

Your best best is to find another used one for cheap and use one of them as a parts 1010. That's what I did a few years ago when one of my buttons broke.

If you attempt to fix it, I don't recommend trying to just glue it even with something like Super glue, parts like that that receive pressure on pressure points won't hold. I would recommend either a product like J.B. Weld (which would need to encase the area of the break) after the initial "glue fix" cures, or that newer tech that uses special polymers and the special UV "light pen" that cures it. Sorry I forget the name of the product.There's an "as seen on TV" version, but I'm sure name brand ones exist too.

A correction. Best Electronics does have replacement 1010 buttons in their catalog! I was looking in the wrong place. There are two different types of 1010 though, the Chelco version and the Sanyo version. The last two buttons to the right on both are the PAUSE and Stop/Eject buttons, but on the Chelco version the Pause button is last, on the Sanyo version the Stop/Eject is the last button. The buttons are designed different so you have to make sure you order the button(s) for your version of the 1010. The Chelco buttons are part number CB102303. The Sanyo buttons are part number CB102302. List price is $3.50 for a replacement button, but that price may be different now. Call Best Electronics after 1PM PST 408-243-6950. Or contact them through the website: http://www.best-electronics-ca.com

Well, now I have done it. Played with the 1010 so much the PLAY button broke off, deteriorating plastic. Does anyone know where I can buy the 1010 replacement Buttons?

They used to break even when the units were new. The buttons are all the same and are fixed to a common metal axle inside the 1010. If you can live without the pause key you can open up the unit, remove the broken key and slide the others along the axle. You can then either put the broken key back on the end or live with the gap. IIRC Atari User in the UK published this fix in response to the issue back in the day.

• 2 years later...