IGNORED

RCA Studio II Multicart

flip

Hi everyone,

I have a new batch of the Mutlicart nearly ready - just waiting for a new set of manuals to arrive, but that should be sorted by next week... The PCB layout has changed a bit, hence the need for a new manual, but there's no changed functionality. I have about 8 or 9 requests, so I'll be contacting those people soon... To be clear: I don't have any more shells, so anyone buying gets the PCB, a set of stickers (in case you have a shell of your own) and a manual.

FliP

• Like 1

Courtesy of Flip's donated cart, I'm working on a 3D printed shell, it'll take me a bit before it is ready since the 3d scanning methods (3 different) I've tried have been abysmal. I might as well ask now if someone in Canada that has a working console and (preferrably the multicart) would like to do some test fitting of the early shells.

Hi

I can make more boxes as well.

But I no longer have spare common boxes.

So anyone that wants 1 right now needs to send a used box for the rca s2 for me to apply new graphics too.

I have about 4 or 5 left printed up.

Anyone who wants 1 can contact me by pm for details.

At some point I may try completely constructing the boxes from scratch.

But price will be more and I have no definite plan or time frame for that.

Hi everyone,

I have a new batch of the Mutlicart nearly ready - just waiting for a new set of manuals to arrive, but that should be sorted by next week... The PCB layout has changed a bit, hence the need for a new manual, but there's no changed functionality. I have about 8 or 9 requests, so I'll be contacting those people soon... To be clear: I don't have any more shells, so anyone buying gets the PCB, a set of stickers (in case you have a shell of your own) and a manual.

FliP

Hi Flip,

Just wanted to make sure I am on your list to contact. I sent PM late last year. Thanks!

Courtesy of Flip's donated cart, I'm working on a 3D printed shell, it'll take me a bit before it is ready since the 3d scanning methods (3 different) I've tried have been abysmal. I might as well ask now if someone in Canada that has a working console and (preferrably the multicart) would like to do some test fitting of the early shells.

I'm interested in seeing/hearing your progress/failures on this. :)

I definitely would like to purchase a multicart. Please add me to the list. Txs Flip.

With a shell also, if possible.

Txs!

I don't have spare shells anymore - they were donated by Tonymailman but I gave them out on a first-come-first-serve basis. There's an effort to try and reproduce them, but we'll have to see where that goes... I don't have any or make any boxes: Stupus is doing a stellar job with those, so please contact him in case you need a box.

Attached is a picture of what included: the bare cartridge, 2 labels (front/back) and a manual. A PDF of the updated manual is also attached

I definitely would like to purchase a multicart. Please add me to the list. Txs Flip.

Hi Flip,

Just wanted to make sure I am on your list to contact. I sent PM late last year. Thanks!

The updated order list is on Google Docs

If you find your nickname is missing from the list, send me a PM

FliP

post-41391-0-85617600-1488232425_thumb.jpg

multi_manual_v2.pdf

• Like 2

sorry, missed the question here...

Leaving the multicart in should be fine - in fact, given the age of the connector, it's probably best to pulg and unplug as little as possible. in addition, leaving a cart in protects the connector from dirt and what have getting in.

FliP

Thank you for this! Sorry for my super late reply. :)

Help? ;)

So yesterday I finally took the time to play with my multicart. Amazing job, loved it. Everything worked flawlessly.

But I've noticed two really weird things:

- No sound at all from the unit. I've played with the switch but doesn't matter what I do - no sound.

- There's a really weird graphic glitch. Picture just "shakes" for a brief period of time, almost once every second (please see video below). It works normally and passed every test on the "test cart", but the glitch is always there - even with no cart plugged and using the built-in games. It was stored away for more than 5 years but it worked perfectly before that.

Any ideas? Bad power adapter? Bad capacitors? I'm completely lost here.

Edited by lazzeri

Hi,

Not sure, but I think it could be the CPU clock that has drifted - it doesn't use a crystal but an LC circuit with a tunable coil. If that's too far off the normal 1.76 Mhz, it causes the video signal to be timed wrongly... If you're comfortable opening the console (be careful taking the keyboard connectors off), find the coil in the middle of the board - it stick out and has a hex hole in the top. Carefully insert a hex screwdriver and turn back and forth with the console switched on and playing a game (best is the built-in bowling or racing game). See if that makes a difference... If you have a scope, you should be able see what frequency is on pin 1 of the CPU - it should be around 1.76 Mhz.

The sound: most likely culprit is the switch not making contact or the speaker itself broke or was disconnected. The circuit that generates the sound is very simple and is unlikely to fail.

I've not come across any Studio II were the caps were the problem. If the power supply is an issue, I don't think it would look like this (more likely to have serious crashes).

FliP

It was the TV indeed. Sorry about that. :( I´ll find myself an RCA plug for the video mod this weekend.

Anyway, I´ve opened it up to check the speaker. Short-circuiting the switch terminals made no sound so it seems the switch is not the one to blame. The speaker was looking OK, the two wires were not broken.

I´ll try to pick one of those PC motherboard mini-speakers and test it to see if the problem is in the circuitry.

Thanks!

Long shot, but can you check that the top RF shield (the metal box on the right hand side of the PCB) is on correctly. If this was put on incorrectly at some stage, it grounds the audio circuit, killing the sound...

FliP

Installed the composite video mod. Spectacular! Crisp, amazing image. Love it!

Sadly, still no sound. :(

I just found I have no mini-speakers whatsoever. I´ve read in another thread ("RCA Studio Gold mine!") about an audio out mod. Are you familiar with that? Any idea on how should I do it? There´s a text description that sounds easy enough but no pics and I am an idiot. :D

If you guys don´t mind helping this old fool a little more I´d be really grateful. ;)

Not familiar with the mod itself, but the sound circuit is on the top right of the PCB. It should be possible to get a sound signal between the resistor at the top (see picture, this side is connector to pin 3 of the 555 as mentioned in the mod) and the ground... Tapping it there should generate a slightly different sound (steady instead of the famous dropping wheepy sound).

I've had speakers fail because the wire from the solder pad to the coil is very very fine - hardly visible. If you have a multimeter, see if you get a resistance of 6-8 ohm on the speaker. If not, it's definitely broken somewhere. If you do, then it might be the capacitor next to the resistor in the picture...

FliP

post-41391-0-26085500-1489085023_thumb.jpg

Thank you very much once again, FliP. I Still have to buy connectors sometime this week, I'll probably buy a multimeter. It's time to get rid of the fear. :)

I'll try to find a small speaker to replace this one in case it's damaged.