IGNORED

RCA Studio II Multicart

flip

On 4/22/2020 at 1:14 PM, flip said:

Hi,

Thanks for your message. Two problems unfortunately: I don't have any shells anymore. I had about 15 donated for the initial batch, but they ran out within days... If you have a donor shell, it's easy enough to put the cartridge in...

Second issue is that, for the moment, I cannot post to the USA due to the COVID-19 problems. I am in Europe and I have no idea when those services will restart. I'll keep an eye out and let you know, but it could be a few weeks or months...

regards,

FliP

Ok Thank you! Just let me know when your able to post to the U.S again

As for shell, didn't someone have a 3D model on its way? Was it never finished, intended to be closed source or other? Also if you mark on the PCB what is front and what is back, do you strictly need a shell - to push the metal pins down to tell the console a cartridge is inserted?

12 minutes ago, carlsson said:

As for shell, didn't someone have a 3D model on its way? Was it never finished, intended to be closed source or other? Also if you mark on the PCB what is front and what is back, do you strictly need a shell - to push the metal pins down to tell the console a cartridge is inserted?

There was someone working on a 3D model. He had scanned in a cartridge and was converting the scan. I asked a while ago, and I believe he said he abandoned it due to other commitments. He was going to forward the files, but haven't heard back since...

The cart works perfectly without a shell - there's no pins to push down and it's clearly marked which side should face the front of the console...

FliP

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, djones60 said:

For those that have a 3d printer, I did a simple shell design for this Multicart. I didn't like mine being unprotected and couldn't find any other designs out there. The OpenSCAD source is included so you can play with the design and tweak it.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4890690

Oh wow this looks GREAT! Thank you!

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 9:52 AM, djones60 said:

For those that have a 3d printer, I did a simple shell design for this Multicart. I didn't like mine being unprotected and couldn't find any other designs out there. The OpenSCAD source is included so you can play with the design and tweak it.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4890690

Thanks much!  I'll check it out.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/10/2016 at 4:02 AM, flip said:

Hi everyone,

It has taken longer than expected, but I am happy to announce I have a final version of an RCA Studio II Multicart. The newer system board versions were crippling a signal on the cartridge port, which meant that larger games (using $c00 and higher) would not work. Thanks to Ed Keefe (also active here), the cart now fixes this signal, meaning that no modification is needed to the console itself!

Using 2 hex encoders, 128 slots are available on an EEPROM - this is plenty for the existing games, both official ones and homebrew. The cartridge is compatible with clones, such as the Victory MPT-02 (though not with the Toshiba Visicom, as the slot/pinout is different). Should new games come out, or found, they can be added by flashing the EEPROM. Some photos are attached showing the cart playing Pong and Asteroids (both games by Paul Robson).

It's been designed to fit the original cartridge shells. Two holes are needed in the front for the rotary selection switches (and some internal tabs need to go as well). I have some spare shells of broken carts, courtesy of toymailman. I probably won't have time to modify them for the carts, but I'll add the shells on a first-come basis (i.e. until they run out).

The design is open source - see the schematics and the board file attached. You're welcome to build your own of course, but these are not intended to be used in a commercial product. If you'd rather have a ready-made one, I am happy to ship one anywhere in the world for US$40. Leave your username, whether you need a shell (on first come basis only - you'll have to modify it yourself to fit the cart). For those interested, I can add a small PCB that gives you composite out at no extra cost (but you need some soldering skills to add it to the console of course). Put that in your post as well...

I'll keep a list below this post with orders, to keep track of things. When your cart is ready to ship, I'll send you a PM with further details.

Any questions, feel free to ask!

FliP

post-41391-0-10355400-1473493635_thumb.jpg

rca_studio_II_mutli_v3.3.pdf 21.65 kB · 478 downloads

RCA_Studio_II_multicart_eagle.zip 89.93 kB · 444 downloads

post-41391-0-66713800-1473494088_thumb.jpg

post-41391-0-19273300-1473494263_thumb.jpg

post-41391-0-01236200-1473494271_thumb.jpg

How can I get one?

Edited by voglr01

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Recently played the scramble port on Studio ii for the first time today. Very fun, I got pretty far. Plays a little more "strategic" and less spamy than the arcade game and most home ports, almost feels like River Raid at times since you can't just go guns blazing yolo the whole game.

I experienced something strange though a couple of times and I wasn't sure if this is an intended mechanic or not, it seemed like it, but I was unsure of what exactly was happening. Sometimes, I am not sure why, my ship would spawn a new ship maybe 6 lines up from where it was located and after a really brief lag that ship would be the one which I could control. First couple of times this happened I immediately died since I ran into a rock with the newly spawned ship before I realized what had happened. It seemed to stop occurring altogether after maybe 5 minutes into a play through. Is this a general Scramble mechanic that I just don't remember from the arcade game? I often confuse memories of Scramble with other games like Super Cobra and even Laser Gates on 2600 since they are all early examples of horizontal scrolling shooters.

• 2 months later...

Big thank you to Flip - thank you for the awesome job done on this project & apologies I though I had already posted this photo (very embarrassed by the delay)

I received the cart back in Sept - it arrived in Australia from Belgium all in good order. Attached is a photo of the cart in use on the day it arrived.

I am very happy to report that the MPT-02 library works perfectly on my MPT-02 Victory console (PAL system) & I have spent many hours rediscovering games from my childhood as well as some new “old games” I didn’t get to play back in the day.

Unfortunately the other libraries including the homebrews are coded for NTSC & as would be expected don’t display well on a PAL system. Nonetheless I am very happy to have access to the classic library & I am keeping an eye out on eBay for a NTSC console.

I was planning on putting the cart inside a 3D printed case, but the thing is a work of art. Well done to Flip, not only for the concept & curating the collection, but also for the awesome job crafting the cartridge. For the time being I will leave it uncovered just so I look at it

4A5635CD-EFB0-49D1-9A07-B9AC13BA2E90.jpeg

• 2 months later...