IGNORED

Talking with CPUWIZ about 256k carts. What can we do in bB?

Gemintronic

256k bB games can use the multi sprite kernel so a Dragonstomper type game is more than feasible. Dragonstomper moves sprites around to simulate a landscape.

Just an update: CPUWIZ told me some boards without shells are available. I'm asking him what price I can get and how many. I can deal with finding donor carts and printing labels. Programming and assembling the board is something I cannot do :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

These boards are still collecting dust. ;P

I would use it for my Dr Who from Berzerk game hack for lots of on cart speech samples.

Except for the fact that currently it is out of ROM in the "game Bank" where I bank switch to another 4K to play a sample, then it has to return back to the "game".

I'm too ameteur to hack move game code.

Omegamatrix was doing all the expanding and moving and improving to 32K but he left the scene.

To to use the whole 256K for one game would take a long time to make 1 game with depth.

Better for 2 or 4 different simpler game ideas or compilation.

Using the Titlescreen Kernel for in-game play screens with multi-sprite bB 1.0 Kernel might make a good game better.

I planned to use Titlescreen Kernel in 2600 Astroblast for the "Ship Refuel Docking" part, but it's limited as a Kernel for gaming but it can move a Sprite up from the bottom controlled by the joystick up to a 48 or 96 graphic that could return with a success or fail variable back to the bB game.

Titlescreen Kernel in my bB DPC+ DK 2600 Arcade is the "How high?" Screen and slightly hacked to call 1, 2, 3 or 4 monkeys and the different score 150m under said monkeys. That's another not-used-for-Titlescreen use.

There is supposedly a Lord of the Rings prototype out there. One could make an adventure game like that based off what we know and use formats inspired by Dragonstomper, Dark Chambers/Gauntlet, Escape from the MindMaster, Donkey Kong Junior and/or Pitfall II. Of course, you couldn't call it that.

A spruced up version of Hardhat would be cool, but I don't know if you could make it 256k spruced up with bB.

• 1 month later...

I lied, they aren't collecting dust, I did actually put them in the PCB shelves.

Gah, look at the date!

So, are there enough parts to build 256k SARA carts? I don't want to start a project without knowing the game can be played on more than Stella or a Harmony. I feel like I missed the last batch of boards due to my lack of communication. Trying to decide how to allocate 2018. Would be great to finally make a huge game. Certainly can't compete with Boulderdash or Draconian on graphics :)

• Like 1

Re: Dragons Lair 2600

Would a top-down view be acceptable if it had ALL areas, or must it be 3rd person looking from behind Dirk?

I've thought about a top down Dragon's Lair for years, but basically it is just memorize the directions and sword button pattern.

Thoughts?

Hi Mike !

Sorry... I was really too "blind" to haven't see this ***pretty interesting*** post before...

If you want (and as you probably already know... ;) ) I already have, since about 10 and more years, many "things" related to Dragon's Lair for our VCS.

And, as it's one of the most important thing if one of us really want to build up a game named "Dragon's Lair", also the rights from the owner (I already know people from the Digital Leisure, as I was involved in the copyright granting to share laserdisc capture for the Daphne emulator through the "internal" DaphneDownLoader torrent, and it was about the 2006 or 2007).

We could and should sure talk about it :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

;) ;) ;)

post-10922-0-85876500-1515432655.jpg

;) ;) ;)

• Like 2

Hi Mike !

Sorry... I was really too "blind" to haven't see this ***pretty interesting*** post before...

If you want (and as you probably already know... ;) ) I already have, since about 10 and more years, many "things" related to Dragon's Lair for our VCS.

And, as it's one of the most important thing if one of us really want to build up a game named "Dragon's Lair", also the rights from the owner (I already know people from the Digital Leisure, as I was involved in the copyright granting to share laserdisc capture for the Daphne emulator through the "internal" DaphneDownLoader torrent, and it was about the 2006 or 2007).

We could and should sure talk about it :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

;) ;) ;)

attachicon.gifVCS_DL_Box+Cart.jpg

;) ;) ;)

Soon this may be possible if there is enough ROM: :-o

View on YouTube 60fps or you will only see every other 8 pixels:

Soon this may be possible if there is enough ROM: :-o

View on YouTube 60fps or you will only see every other 8 pixels:

Surely there will still be done (many) progress with the programming of the VCS (unfortunately no "Bus Stuff", however, apparently... I read that some CPUs were frying...), and this on is a great "experiment"... but what I had in mind is not really such a thing.
When I talked to David Foster (from the Digital Leisure) we thought about a platformer, just like NES & / or SNES portings (I hate them, heavily !), but playable and beautiful like Pitfall ( II ).

Surely there will still be done (many) progress with the programming of the VCS (unfortunately no "Bus Stuff", however, apparently... I read that some CPUs were frying...), and this on is a great "experiment"... but what I had in mind is not really such a thing.
When I talked to David Foster (from the Digital Leisure) we thought about a platformer, just like NES & / or SNES portings (I hate them, heavily !), but playable and beautiful like Pitfall ( II ).

I know there have been some systems that did not work with the earlier attempts at bus stuffing, but this is the first I've heard of "CPUs were frying...". What exactly do you mean by this?