IGNORED

OSS-D-Day part 1-BASIC XE V4.2-cart&source now in PD

luckybuck

Hello together,

Today is a very special day, because a long, long search and work around the world with many users is now over with a final good end after decades.

The community now has the lost to be believe, final OSS supercart of the highest developed BASIC for the Atari, the OSS BASIC XE in version 4.2 (compare with yours) and this time with the source code together!

We are very happy about that, because now, just the source code of TurboBasic XL is missing (we are working on that, too), so we can make a final BASIC for the Atari, let's call it: Ultimate BASIC, else Final BASIC?

Further, we can interbreed with other source codes, for example ACTION! for an enhanced editor (scrolling) or the EXTEND command from the source code of BASIC XE to get used of the additional RAM with now up to 4 MB! All this is now possible and to your feet.

Further, please take into account the source code for the Atari Calculator, wich is now in PD, too for the floating point routines plus the ones from Altirra BASIC and BASIC++.

All links to the software can be found here:

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Basic%20XE
https://archive.org/details/ColleenCalculator
https://archive.org/details/ColleenFloatingPointRoutines
http://www.virtualdub.org/altirra.html
http://www.xl-project.com/downloads.html

Enjoy and have fun. :-)))

This service was brought to you by Kevin, a good soul (who would like to stay anonymously), JAC!, Tomasz 'KrOtki' Krasuski, a still unknown donator of the hex codes, which enabled us to restore the code, the files and later from that, finally, the cart itself.

For those of you, who may ask about the unknown donator: in the very last picture of the microfilm there was a slide with the following sentence:

After digitizing, destroy everything send to you and there will be more!

I did exactly as ordered, and guess what, we can continue in part 2! Not kidding. Check back in here again. :-)

The BIN-file just run in Altirra with OSS '043M' ; who can create a '034M'-version? :-)

Basic_XE_v4.2_(1986-02-09)(OSS)(US).bin

BASIC_XE_4.2-1_master_with_DOS_2.0D.atr

BASIC_XE_4.2-2_slave_with_DOS_2.0D.atr

BASIC_XE_4.2-3_fp_with_DOS_2.5.atr

Edited by luckybuck
  • Like 15

Do what the MAC/65 manual says, and perform assembly from disk, not from memory. Ie.:

NEWASM #D1:MASTER2,#-,#<objfile>
This will give you enough free RAM to build the cartridge. I have assembled it under MyDOS 4.53 this way.

Unfortunately, assembling the BASIC XE Toolkit (D3:MASTER2) requires even more memory than provided by the above method. Since I couldn't find a DOS with MEMLO low enough, I resorted to copying all the source files to a H: device provided by the emulator, which allowed me to build the toolkit with no DOS at all.

Edited by Kr0tki
  • Like 3

Do what the MAC/65 manual says, and perform assembly from disk, not from memory. Ie.:

This will give you enough free RAM to build the cartridge. I have assembled it under MyDOS 4.53 this way.

Unfortunately, assembling the BASIC XE Toolkit (D3:MASTER2) requires even more memory than provided by the above method. Since I couldn't find a DOS with MEMLO low enough, I resorted to copying all the source files to a H: device provided by the emulator, which allowed me to build the toolkit with no DOS at all.

Well that's good to know, but you can't assemble from disk with Mac/65 while using SpartaDos. It's always been bugged.

Well, with the now available source code of MAC/65 and SD, it should... ;-)

Could you compare your MAC/65 1.01 source with the published one? Else, can you now publish your version?

We have a go from the Wilkinson familiy, from Paul Laughton, from Tom H. and have send 2 messages from 2 different sources to Mike H., whether we are allowed to. There was at least no "NO" from him...

Edited by luckybuck

I'm a little surprised that worked because Mac/65 depends on the NOTE/POINT commands working. If there's no DOS present, how can they work ? Very odd.

• Like 1

What wonders me the most, the surprises now come in machine gun mode... ;-)

Any update concerning your MAC/65 1.01 source code from ICD?

By the way, we would be very, very glad, if you may can release the source code for SpartaDOS from the latest ICD-version... :-)))

Tom H. was clear: ...'do what ever you want with the source...'

Edited by luckybuck

Does anyone know what changed from 4.1?

I would suspect a few bug-fixes, which are typically for some pretty obscure issues. If it was very significant, then the extensions would have to be replaced.

The .bin file is for a 27128 EPROM? (A good job for my Dropcheck burner as soon as I get it.)

Larry

Hi Harry, we have the same problem with MAC/65 and Integer Basic.

If you go here:

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Mac65

the last point under MANUALS, there is a printout of the complete(!) assembly with all words, commands etc. in text format.

If the community does the same with BASIC XE 4.2 while assembling, you should know. Just an idea...

Well whoever supplied this code, it must be from before the ICD acquisition because it's all still in Mac\65 format. The first thing Gustafson did is port everything to the ICD cross assembler, so all my OSS and Sparta stuff is in that format. I haven't looked at the Mac\65 stuff yet to see what might be different, still looking over BXE.

Hi Alfred,

Quite easy, the comments were already inside the hex bytes... I could 1st see that, after typing in, bring them from hex to bin and then load into MAC/65. Nothing special.

Yes, I had that in mind, too. Going back to the 80's, to be exaclty, 1988, SP should be the the(!) DOS used then. I was forced to quit in 1985, therefore I am not very good in SP, but I can spell it, the short form.

As far as I know, SP was something of 64KB, would be cool, to have an Ultimate Basic of that size, with all in. :-)

So, I guess the best choice should be, to bring all images to SD and most of them in DD-format and then assemble from there on.

Would be cool, to see someone can do this with Integer Basic, which comes after(!) BASIC XE...

See you.

• 5 years later...
On 9/15/2016 at 3:48 AM, Kr0tki said:

Tomasz,  This is a really old thread lol not sure if you check this forum lately but maybe :D  (fyi, I tried to send you an email at an old .. .pl address maybe of yours not sure if that still works)

Do you know what has changed between Basic XE 4.2 and 4.1??    

Also what extensions version disk does 4.2  need  (4.1 uses v4.11 extension disk)?

AND  

This would be really cool if some how the extensions could automagically be loaded/pre compiled into the cartridge.  This would save a lot of headache without having

to attach a disk every time we want to load Basic XE.    (Is this possible?)

Edited by rsh

Thank you ... yes this is where I got 4.2... :D ... but I really would like to know if Basic XE 4.2 was an official OSS release with possible fixes or changes and if there is a missing newer version of the extension disk that goes with it..  I know for a fact the Basic XE 7.2 is just version 4.1 and will load the 4.11 extension as long as you rename the BASIC.OSS to BASIC.EXT in the disk.   

ALSO

I was hoping someone could combine the extensions into the bin/rom cart... So we don't need to attach the disk every time.   Basic XE is nothing without the extensions loaded .. 

Well, the story so far, some day, someone put an envelope in my mailbox with a lot of papers containing hex codes. No stamps, no name, nothing. So, I can't even say from which country this originates. I typed in the hex codes and voila, we were in 4.2.

4.1 is the latest official version on cartridge, 7.2 is just a patch for SpartaDOS.

If you compare the hex codes from 4.1 and 4.2, you should be able to answer the question by ourself...

So, officially, 4.2 was not officially sold from OSS... ;-)

Working with 4.2 should be much more smoother than with 4.1, just give it a try.

Regarding a new cart, 4.2 + ext, this is a good idea and one step further to Ultimate BASIC:

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Ultimate Basic

will forward to our Yoda, but can't promise anything. Just check in again here from time to time.

• Like 2

On 7/26/2022 at 1:39 PM, luckybuck said:

Well, the story so far, some day, someone put an envelope in my mailbox with a lot of papers containing hex codes. No stamps, no name, nothing. So, I can't even say from which country this originates. I typed in the hex codes and voila, we were in 4.2.

4.1 is the latest official version on cartridge, 7.2 is just a patch for SpartaDOS.

If you compare the hex codes from 4.1 and 4.2, you should be able to answer the question by ourself...

So, officially, 4.2 was not officially sold from OSS... ;-)

Working with 4.2 should be much more smoother than with 4.1, just give it a try.

Regarding a new cart, 4.2 + ext, this is a good idea and one step further to Ultimate BASIC:

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Ultimate Basic

will forward to our Yoda, but can't promise anything. Just check in again here from time to time.

Interesting... diffing hex lol might take a while lol ... I posted this else where but maybe you can help me:

I'm trying to get Altirra to run basic XE 4.2 with the extension disk that @drac030 created. 

BXE42EXT.ARC 44.55 kB · 26 downloads

It won't boot directly keeps flipping A8 window...  but when I move the .OSS file from the arc to another DOS like the original 2.0a disk.  It boots and loads the extensions (or appears to... (i see the extensions screen)) .   Running the showpic.bxe program fails with strange error on line 1280.   Doesn't like pmmove command even though the editor says its syntax is correct.    I have all the bin images from atarwikiv3 for basic XE 4.2 (page provides no v4.2 extensions atr disk)... Could someone post a working Dos2.0a version of Basic XE v4.2 extensions disk.  Maybe I should try the SIDE3 emulator with Altirra but I think everyone would just want a v4.2 extension disk that will work with any cart/bin configuration.        

Do you have a working copy of the extension disk for v4.2?

Edited by rsh

On 8/4/2022 at 10:22 PM, luckybuck said:

rsh did you try:

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Basic XE#section-Basic+XE-ATRImage

with an original OSS DOS XL and(!) the cart 4.2?

Have created one, please see attached. Don't forget to type in:

EXTEND

to start it... ;-)

Interesting I must be blind... I didn't notice that 4.2 extension disk .. I will try yours out thank you !!

On 8/10/2022 at 12:06 PM, luckybuck said:

No, no! You are right! Have created the 4.2 disk version out of the work from drac030, due to your(!) input. We have to thank you for testing and informing us. Thank you very much! 🙂

Your disk works great!  Thank You! ... Interesting thing... I did notice memory usage differences after the extensions are loaded.  Version 4.2 uses

1.7K more memory.   Which has me believe more functionality may have been added.   I know the source is on the wikiv3, just wondering if anyone

has done a comparison to see if any new functions/features have been added?  

image.thumb.png.1ef264a0482b7dbaedea173e1ffc094d.png

image.thumb.png.3c1e036a99b3325a16b604965fd34a87.png