IGNORED

What Power Supply does a Atari 1010 take..?

Spanner

I need to know whats the volts and amps,does it take the same one as the Atari 1050..?

Where can I get a cheap SIO Cable,please don't point my to Atarimax theres are $39.99..wow..way over priced,it cost more than the Atari 1010.That site is for rich people,not for down and outs like me who are on benefit.

I live in the uk so someone near me would be good.. :)

post-40380-0-26117200-1473767382_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spanner

The 1010 needs a 9V AC supply I think. I'm fairly sure you could use the supply from a 1050 drive with it, but might be best to double check. I know the PSU originally shipped with UK 1010s was a smaller design with the mains plug built into the body of the adapter. Not sure how much power the 1010 draws and I no longer have one to test.

SIO cables are a little rare on this side of the pond. Mostly I've picked them up when I've bought hardware. They do pop up on eBay on their own from time to time. I used to have a bag full but when I downsized my collection a couple of years ago I only hung onto a a handful. Hopefully one of the other UK members may have a spare.

The 1010 needs a 9V AC supply I think. I'm fairly sure you could use the supply from a 1050 drive with it, but might be best to double check. I know the PSU originally shipped with UK 1010s was a smaller design with the mains plug built into the body of the adapter. Not sure how much power the 1010 draws and I no longer have one to test.

SIO cables are a little rare on this side of the pond. Mostly I've picked them up when I've bought hardware. They do pop up on eBay on their own from time to time. I used to have a bag full but when I downsized my collection a couple of years ago I only hung onto a a handful. Hopefully one of the other UK members may have a spare.

http://faqs.cs.uu.nl/na-dir/atari-8-bit/faq.html

Plenty of Atari supplies work.. as do generic ones.

Thanks all,

Yes its the same power supply as the Atari 1050 disk drive,has anyone tried to power this with pin 10 +5V/Ready, like the XC12 is powered..?

adding Info..

1010 Program Recorder

- Produced from 1983-1985. Replaced the 410; replaced by the XC11.

- Also included in the kit: KX7114 Programming System All-In-One-Pak

- 2 Atari SIO ports for direct connection to Atari computers

- Included: Owner's guide, Atari SIO cable, power adapter

- Manuals:

- The Atari 1010 Program Recorder Owner's Guide C061133

- Atari 1010 Cassette Recorder Field Service Manual FD100223

- Rev. 02 September 1983

- Two slightly different versions were manufactured:

- 1010S. FCC ID: BPA99H1010

- Made in Japan by Sanyo

- 6 Buttons, left to right:

Record, Play, Rewind, Advnce, Pause, Stop/Ej

- Orange sticker inside cassette bay

- 1010C. FCC ID: BPA7YJ1010

- Made in Hong Kong by Chelco

- 6 Buttons, left to right:

Record, Play, Rewind, Advnce, Stop/Ej, Pause

- Silver sticker inside cassette bay

- Power: Used with an external 8.5 to 9 volt AC transformer power supply

rated for at least 8 watts. Shipped with Atari C061515 or C061516;

CA017964 recommended (each detailed elsewhere in this FAQ list).

- In early production units the power indicator lights as soon as the

power adapter is plugged in. In later models the power indicator will

only light after you press Play, Rewind or Advance.

Edited by Spanner

has anyone tried to power this with pin 10 +5V/Ready, like the XC12 is powered..?

This is likely not going to work. The internals will not only need 5V for its TTL logic, but it is very likely that it will also use a voltage doubler as the 1050 to generate +12V for the motors, and probably -12V or -5V for the op-amps for the frequency discriminator.

The earlier tape drives would be very unlikely to operate from SIO power. As it is some of the decode circuitry of the 410 and 1010 actually uses that power already.

The XC tape drives benefit from better motor technology. Consider size and power consumption of early 5.25" floppy drive types vs the 3.5" ones once they'd been around for a while.

While we are talking about tape drives... there used to be a circuit one could build to connect stock tape decks to the Atari, using the headphone, mic, pause jacks etc. I know I had a copy of the design somewhere but can't seem to find it. I would love to build one and use say a TI 99 style deck for it. Those tape units were darn good.

While we are talking about tape drives... there used to be a circuit one could build to connect stock tape decks to the Atari, using the headphone, mic, pause jacks etc. I know I had a copy of the design somewhere but can't seem to find it. I would love to build one and use say a TI 99 style deck for it. Those tape units were darn good.

The thread linked below has information about the GE Compu-Mate interface/tape deck, as well as a PDF with information for a DIY interface.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/161936-atari-1010-problem/

• 4 weeks later...

The earlier tape drives would be very unlikely to operate from SIO power. As it is some of the decode circuitry of the 410 and 1010 actually uses that power already.

The XC tape drives benefit from better motor technology. Consider size and power consumption of early 5.25" floppy drive types vs the 3.5" ones once they'd been around for a while.

In case of 1010 when you look at schematic:

http://www.atarimania.com/documents/1010_cassette_recorder_field_service_manual.pdf

looks like reason for 9V is only motor. And looks like it doesn't make difference if its DC or AC (because of Graetz bridge at power input).

Maybe there is a chance for changing motor to 5V and then it should be operable from SIO only - just a question?

--

Marcin.

• 6 years later...

I know it's an old thread, but since these 9V AC power supplies are getting harder to find, I did some research: 

1) 1010 Power supply and 1050 Power supply both deliver 11.5 VAC measured (9VAC Nominal)

2) After rectification, 1010 operates at 15.2 VDC (measured).

3) If I power the 1010 with a 16V DC/DC supply, the same 15.5vDC make it to the circuit, and it works just fine and there's no need for a 9vAC power supply anymore. 

Am I missing anything or should a 16VDC power supply be a suitable replacement for the 1010? (This does not apply to the 1050, which does require AC voltage).