IGNORED

Multiplan on a Geneve

etownandy

Is there a way to get MPlan to run off a hard drive with the HFDC?

The disk I'm using (from whtech) works fine on a 4A equipped with an EVPC, so I know the disk image is good.

I can easily get the MPlan module to load out of GPL.

I know MPLan usually looks for a disk named TIMP. The disk I have is so named, but MPLan seems to be unable to find it. Is there something special I have to do within GPL itself for MPlan to find its disk?

And is there any way to get the disk files to run out of a hard drive instead of a floppy? Like a path named TIMP or something in a DSK1 emulate file?

Assuming the above doesn't solve it for you, you can retarget Multiplan with a hex edit just like changing DSK1. In the case of Multiplan, search for "DSK.TIMP.filename", and change it to the path you need... just pad the excess with spaces. For instance, "DSK.TIMP.OVERLAY" to "DSK1.OVERLAY ". (I don't know what device names the HDFC uses, adapt as needed).

I only have the 80 column hack version of the disk, but on that disk image there are 10 hits (watch out for the last four that occur twice, they run right up against each other. Keep the alignment!):

DSK.TIMP.OVERLAY

DSK.TIMP.MPHLP

DSK.TIMP.MPCHAR

DSK.TIMP.MPDATA

DSK.TIMP.MPINTR

DSK.TIMP.MPBASE

DSK.TIMP.MPCHAR

DSK.TIMP.MPDATA

DSK.TIMP.MPINTR

DSK.TIMP.MPBASE

I'd search the disk image to make sure I found all the references, then extract the files off the disk for your HDD folder.

• Like 3

Assuming the above doesn't solve it for you, you can retarget Multiplan with a hex edit just like changing DSK1. In the case of Multiplan, search for "DSK.TIMP.filename", and change it to the path you need... just pad the excess with spaces. For instance, "DSK.TIMP.OVERLAY" to "DSK1.OVERLAY ". (I don't know what device names the HDFC uses, adapt as needed).

I only have the 80 column hack version of the disk, but on that disk image there are 10 hits (watch out for the last four that occur twice, they run right up against each other. Keep the alignment!):

DSK.TIMP.OVERLAY

DSK.TIMP.MPHLP

DSK.TIMP.MPCHAR

DSK.TIMP.MPDATA

DSK.TIMP.MPINTR

DSK.TIMP.MPBASE

DSK.TIMP.MPCHAR

DSK.TIMP.MPDATA

DSK.TIMP.MPINTR

DSK.TIMP.MPBASE

I'd search the disk image to make sure I found all the references, then extract the files off the disk for your HDD folder.

I'd have to modify the GRAM files, too, right? Something there is clearly looking for content on DSK.TIMP before anything else loads.

Well I hit a wall. In sector 197 I found several references to DSK.TIMP.filename However, the subsequent values all back up to the last character of the previous value. In other words, I can't make the path longer than DSK.TIMP. I was hoping to just change it to HDS1.TIMP

I seriously doubt I can change these to HDS.TIMP and have the program search any hard disk for a TIMP subdirectory...or can I? It's the first hard drive in the system, so it's not like it would introduce too great a lag. Does anyone know if this will actually work before I go try it?

I just remembered this passage in the HFDC manual:

DSK Directory Emulation. To handle files in a way as done by MULTIPLAN, which looks for files on a disk with a particular volume name, create a directory at root level named DSK. Then create a subdirectory of DSK with the same name as the necessary volume name. Add all the necessary files to that subdirectory. For example, the MULTIPLAN program files should be in the subdirectory with the pathname DSK.TIMP. The HFDC will automatically direct all file accesses that look for DSK.TIMP.filename to the hard drive. If there is no directory name DSK or the filename cannot be found, the access will next go to the physical floppy drive, as usual.

• Like 1

DSK Directory Emulation. To handle files in a way as done by MULTIPLAN, which looks for files on a disk with a particular volume name, create a directory at root level named DSK. Then create a subdirectory of DSK with the same name as the necessary volume name. Add all the necessary files to that subdirectory. For example, the MULTIPLAN program files should be in the subdirectory with the pathname DSK.TIMP. The HFDC will automatically direct all file accesses that look for DSK.TIMP.filename to the hard drive. If there is no directory name DSK or the filename cannot be found, the access will next go to the physical floppy drive, as usual.

You are a gentleman, sir. That worked like a charm. Thanks!

Well I hit a wall. In sector 197 I found several references to DSK.TIMP.filename However, the subsequent values all back up to the last character of the previous value. In other words, I can't make the path longer than DSK.TIMP. I was hoping to just change it to HDS1.TIMP

I seriously doubt I can change these to HDS.TIMP and have the program search any hard disk for a TIMP subdirectory...or can I? It's the first hard drive in the system, so it's not like it would introduce too great a lag. Does anyone know if this will actually work before I go try it?

My intent was to have you drop the TIMP part, but it makes sense that you needed a subdirectory in there. Glad you were able to get it solved properly! :)

• Like 2

The Geneve OS command "DISK1 off/on" (or the GPL function key equivalent) can also be used to disable/enable the HFDC DSK/DSK1 emulation. This is important if for some reason you need to force the system to access the physical DSK1. files without resorting to renaming/deleting files from the hard drive folders.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

OK, I have got MS Multiplan to run off the hard drive on the Geneve. Put all the files in HDS1.DSK.TIMP then run the MULTIPLAN as MYGPL MULTIPLAN. I'm using the 80 column MSMP from WHTECH. BUT, I can't get the data files to save the hard drive. always tries to save to DSK1 or DSk2 even with MYGPL set to have DSK1 redirected to the HD. what I have found looking at the hex dump of the MPINTR file is the reference to DSK2. might be the reference to save, may not. but like to change to HDS2 if I change  with a hex editor to see. Anybody got a good hex editor  or know of a one I can use on the Geneve in MAME?

Edited by hloberg
  • Like 1

got it!

to SAVE or LOAD in MSMP on Geneve with 80 column mod (files included):

ctrl-H to pull up menu.

ctrl-H till you get to TRANS.

ctrl-H to get to OPTIONS.

TAB to get down to SETUP:

type in HDS2 for SAVE/LOAD area.

then

Ctrl-H again for menu to TRANS and SAVE or LOAD your file.

the file is saved into the root of HDS2.

I modified the MPINTR file from DSK2 to HDS2 but i'm not sure if I even need to do that.

the MSMP files are included below.

To use:

copy from .DSK TIMP into DSK on HDS1. ie, HDS1.DSK.TIMP.(files)

execute from there MYGPL MULTI-PLAN. press ENTER when ask for disk.

do above to save and load.

Please test to be sure this wasn't just a fluke.

UPDATE: just tried inputing HDS2.SUBDIR as a SAVE/LOAD perimeter and MSMP rejected that. So files can only be save to root, which isn't too bad. better than nothing.

PS to get the MSMP manuals & documents got to my website https://ti99resources.wordpress.com/

MSMP.zip

Edited by hloberg
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, 9640News said:

FILEZAP is my preferred file and sector editor. It is on the keep.net port 9918 if you can grab it from there before this evening when I can get to it.

beery

found it on whtech & works great. thanks. attached is the disk, if anyone else wants it.

FILEZAP.dsk

Edited by hloberg
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, mizapf said:

I also included a sector editor in TIImageTool, so you may change file contents on the DSK image. You have to find out where the sectors of the file are, but this is possible by looking at the file information block.

oh? I used it to TIIT to view but didn't know you could edit too. I guess I need to RT*M. :)

Utility->Edit sectors. You cannot change sectors of a currently open image. If you want to edit sectors of a file, right-click on the file and select "View file information block", note the "List of allocated sectors". Then close the image.

By the way, I recommend to use "TIMT" as an abbreviation to avoid ... possibly strange sounding ... well, yes.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mizapf said:

By the way, I recommend to use "TIMT" as an abbreviation to avoid ... possibly strange sounding ... well, yes.

after i typed that I thought, um, maybe no the best abbreviation choice. ?

PS.  TIMT always reminds me of TMNT or 'teenage mutant ninja turtles'.

Edited by hloberg
  • Haha 1

Distant memories suggest there is an option to set the load/save path. It has been quite some time since I used MultiPlan, though it is still lurking on my Geneve hard drive. Anyway, MPINTR contains a "DSK1" path which is probably the one you sector edited. There is sufficient space for a full path/file of 40 characters.  Note that the byte preceding DSK1. is set to "05" which is the length of the path.  If the option exists, it likely saves MPINTR back to the system path "DSK.TIMP" with the updated load/save location. 

05 44 53 4B 31 ............DSK1
00000160 2E 20 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 . ..............
00000170 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
00000180 00 00 00 00 00 10 44 53 4B 2E 54 49 4D 50 2E 4F ......

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Distant memories suggest there is an option to set the load/save path. It has been quite some time since I used MultiPlan, though it is still lurking on my Geneve hard drive. Anyway, MPINTR contains a "DSK1" path which is probably the one you sector edited. There is sufficient space for a full path/file of 40 characters.  Note that the byte preceding DSK1. is set to "05" which is the length of the path.  If the option exists, it likely saves MPINTR back to the system path "DSK.TIMP" with the updated load/save location. 

05 44 53 4B 31 ............DSK1
00000160 2E 20 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 . ..............
00000170 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
00000180 00 00 00 00 00 10 44 53 4B 2E 54 49 4D 50 2E 4F ......

I found that DSK.TIMP in MPINTR which is what tipped me off that it could run off HDS1.DSK.TIMP. what tipped me off is that is the way Fortran works as HDS1.DSK

you can set LOAD/SAVE path (see notes above). But, it looks like you are limited to just 5 or 6 characters. HDS2. works but when I tried HDS2.TIMP got a error. so files from MSMP can be saved to root HDS2 but no further.

25 minutes ago, hloberg said:

I found that DSK.TIMP in MPINTR which is what tipped me off that it could run off HDS1.DSK.TIMP. what tipped me off is that is the way Fortran works as HDS1.DSK

you can set LOAD/SAVE path (see notes above). But, it looks like you are limited to just 5 or 6 characters. HDS2. works but when I tried HDS2.TIMP got a error. so files from MSMP can be saved to root HDS2 but no further.

I popped upstairs and loaded Multiplan.  The default as shown saved a file to DSK1.   I then sector edited MPINTR from "DSK1." to "DSK5.SUB1." and modified the byte >05 to >0A.   If you do not change the length byte to account for the new path plus trailing period, it won't work.  I reran Multiplan, modified a few cells, saved a file, and exited.  The file was saved to DSK5.SUB1.   Reran Multiplan, selected Transfer, Load, arrow key in the load field to catalog the disk.  Selected my test file and it loaded. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

I popped upstairs and loaded Multiplan.  The default as shown saved a file to DSK1.   I then sector edited MPINTR from "DSK1." to "DSK5.SUB1." and modified the byte >05 to >0A.   If you do not change the length byte to account for the new path plus trailing period, it won't work.  I reran Multiplan, modified a few cells, saved a file, and exited.  The file was saved to DSK5.SUB1.   Reran Multiplan, selected Transfer, Load, arrow key in the load field to catalog the disk.  Selected my test file and it loaded. 

I'll modify mine tomorrow. FYI, the MSMP I have was already modded to DSK2 which I changed to HDS2, if it's the same place in the code. what byte position was your DSK1. ?

Edited by hloberg