IGNORED

Multiplan on a Geneve

etownandy

1 hour ago, hloberg said:

I've learned best to stick with the default setup when TIMT creates a .HDs.

total sectors: 78720 (which oddly is a zipcode in Austin near where I live :) )

size 2

heads 4

sec/trk 32

sector length 256

Just as a note, the sector length of 256 is necessary for HFDC, but SCSI and IDE require 512 bytes per sector. This, in turn, means that neither IDE nor SCSI images can be created or opened in TIMT at this time; you must use chdman for them.

• Like 3

On 1/21/2022 at 4:17 AM, hloberg said:

did you stay in room infinity plus one? I heard that's a nice one. :) 

Ah, no, that's the President's Suite. Too expensive to book. Last thing I heard was aleph0 dollars!

But they have an interesting offer: If none of the rooms suit you, you are offered a free stay in their suite, provided that you actually checked each room. You may change rooms as often as you wish, but you have to book one room for at least a whole week.

I think I can make it to the suite by the end of the second week; what do you think?

Edit: For those who wonder what we are talking about: Hilbert's Hotel is a Gedankenexperiment from David Hilbert, 1862-1943. This hotel has a countably infinite number of rooms, which means that for every natural number there is a room in the hotel, and for each room there is a natural number (its room number). It is countably infinite because you can reach each room number (referring to its room) simply by counting upward. The hotel has some weird properties: If all rooms are occupied, and one more guest asks for a room, you simply ask all inhabitants to switch to the next room (room+1), which means that room 1 becomes free. As we have infinitely many rooms, none of the guests will drop out. You can easily show that you can accommodate any finite number of new guests in the hotel. You can even accommodate a countably infinite number of guests in the full hotel. However, you will immediate fail to accommodate a set of new guests that are identified by all real numbers of the interval [0,1] because the real numbers are uncountably infinite.

My claim from above is that I can visit each of these countably infinite rooms in a finite time. However, each visit takes a non-null amount of time. Can you tell how? ?

Edit2: The solution is to visit each room half as long as the previous room. The series of q^n with 0<q<1 converges to 1/(1-q), hence for q=1/2, it converges to 2. First room is 1 week, second is 1/2 week, 3rd is 1/4 week etc.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

after taking an half amount of infinite time I now have my project blog in how to install and edit Multi-plan on the Geneve. files included. BTW, my reference to an infinite amount of monkeys was from 'Hitch hiker's guide to the galaxy' probably the most remarkable book to ever come out of the... you know the rest.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, hloberg said:

FYI: here is vertiasium explaining Hilbert Hotel. my brain hurts.

Nice! And well explained. I just watched it (1:50 am), just to relax before going to sleep.

The ABBABABABA... guys can, of course, be identified with the fraction parts of real numbers, represented in the binary system, if you identify A=0 and B=1, and put a "0." before. What he describes here is the famous "Cantor's diagonal argument". So there are tremendously more numbers between 0 and 1 than natural numbers altogether, and more precisely, the size of that bus would be called "aleph-1". However, the amount of hotel rooms is "just" aleph-0.

Well, infinity is not a real number. (This sentence alone has too many meanings for that time of the day.) BTW, in German, due to our reluctance against Latin terms, we call it "unendlich", which translates directly as "non-end-ly".

If you really want a superb headache that lasts for a while, read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham's_number (and remember that it is still as far away from infinity as 1).

• Thanks 1