IGNORED

FOUND: Nintendo Game Counselor Guide & 1989 Employee Manual

Metal Jesus

Straight out of the late 80s and early 90s, here is the official Nintendo Game Counselor Guide they would use to help people stuck in their NES and SNES games AND the official 1989 Nintendo Employee manual. This is a rare insight into the what it was like to work at Nintendo during the classic era! Did you ever call the Powerline? I did!

A big shoutout to my buddy Emilio for letting me borrow this. It walked into his retro game & toy store in Renton, Washington recently...along with some other goodies ;)

• Like 3

Very cool, thanks for sharing!

I DID call the Nintendo Counselors quite a lot BITD. Even though I have a subscription to Nintendo Power and bought a lot of the guides, there were still things that I was lost on, and if my friends couldn't help I'd call them up. I'm unsure about dates and amounts, but I think I called around a dozen times total. First time was prob around 87-88 when it was still a regular phone number, before they changed to 1-900. That made it harder as I had to get permission from the parents to call.

Games I can recall calling on were:

Godzilla (game bug in that game, and the counselor confirmed it was one)

Destiny of the Emperor (ran into the rare bug where if you do certain things you can make a game saved in Slot 1 unwinnable, which I found out the hard way!)

Zelda II (missed a key in a palace, and was told I could use the Fairy spell to go through locks, which saved my game. Also called a second time to get help with the final palace)

Final Fantasy VI (Help with one of the bosses)

Silent Service (NP lied and said there was BB's and CV's in the game...nope!)

That's all I can remember right now though I'm sure there were others

• Like 1

We never had the money to call the Counselors, but I remember it being an absolute dream job to have as a kid.

Same here. Then I ended up actually working in a call center, found out it wasn't as awesome as I'd hoped. (Seriously, how does that job not have a higher suicide rate?). Might have been better if I could talk NES games all day.

Wow, great that there are no torn punch holes, which is very often the case with these old ring binders.

I'd insert as a protector a plain 8 1/2 x 11 card behind the back protector in the beginning.

Sadly, in the making of this video...I accidentally tore the punch holes on the 1st page... So sad... but it was getting opened and closed so much...