IGNORED

Atari 8 Next (ZX Spectrum Next)

Philsan

I think ZX Spectrum Next is an awesome project: http://www.specnext.com/

Moreover, the gorgeous new case is designed by original Sinclair industrial designer Rick Dickinson.

It would be nice something similar, with a new case designed by Regan Cheng: http://designsojourn.com/awesome-hand-rendered-atari-computer-concepts/

• Like 5

Yes please. If it's a Cheng and a new take on the 800 or XL lines. Not the XE/ST. They are o.k., but once the new modern industrial design wasn't so new anymore, they seem out-dated and boring to me now. Where the 800 line, even though bulky, is still artistically elegant, and the XL line (especially the 1200, the others could do without a cartridge slot on top ruining the elegance-for a computer, a console is different) is still post-modern classy-sleek looking to me today. Both are timeless designs. I am saying this from an artist's perspective, though still my own opinion.

I also think the old Vic-20 and 64 design is timeless, and also now dislike the newer 64C and 128 designs as much as the ST/XE, they too, are more industrial looking and not timeless and elegant like the Vic and C64. Apple just always looked industrial and ugly until the i-Macs.

I'm certainly not knocking those who prefer a more industrial look. but the 800, XL, and the Commodore VIC/C64 look better in an elegant (the boss) office setting or home study, with fine furniture. All the others fit better in a warehouse office or office cubical.

Edited by Gunstar

Well, if he did the VIC-20 and C64, he did good there, IMHO. I take it he didn't do the newer 64C and 128 models? Already designing the XE/ST line for Atari by then? I'm aware Cheng didn't design the XE/ST line if that's what your driving at. Again, I can understand people liking or preferring ST/XE line, just not me. But yeah, I'm well aware of all the mixing of employees and designers and actual hardware, etc. between Commodore an Atari and Amiga company.Everything basically got flip-flopped between them with the arrival of the 16-bit machines and era.

Edited by Gunstar

• 1 month later...