IGNORED

BOSS (homebrew) for Atari 2600 incoming!

LudicrousDa3ve

Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster!

Anyway, within a couple of days, I'm launching the Indiegogo for BOSS. It was developed by theloon (Jason from Gemintronic), and is a boss rush shmup of sorts. Really cool stuff, and looking forward to some high score competition, personally. ;)
Kind of letting you guys in on it first, being a dedicated Atari community and all. Not totally sure what kind of limits we're looking at on number of carts, waiting to hear back. There will be tiers for cart only, deluxe with case, and some other little bits as well.

post-47928-0-42916300-1474224320_thumb.png

I'll follow up with more info soon, and will get the link here as soon as it's available. I hope you look forward to it, and I'm happy to finally be posting here!

• Like 2

I think with these types of campaigns, it's better to let the market determine how many to make and build them after the campaign ends. maybe having a limited number of CIB ones or early bird ones that are slightly cheaper but cart+manual is only limited to the number of backers at the end of the campaign?

Looks like Sharknado/Twist'r-Shark repackaged.

attachicon.gifdouble twister.png

I think it's this game with a new name:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/201535-cyber-willy-done/

I'm guessing Jason used Cyber Willy as the basis for Twist'r Shark. Hopefully he'll clarify.

Edited by KaeruYojimbo
  • Like 2

I think it's this game with a new name:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/201535-cyber-willy-done/

I'm guessing Jason used Cyber Willy as the basis for Twist'r Shark. Hopefully he'll clarify.

I do believe that I recall him saying it was an unused variant of sorts of Cyber Willy?

Twist'r Shark looks rad, btw. Wish I'd heard of it before now.

• Like 1

This is Cyber Willy from 2012. The published physical cart version will be renamed "Boss"

Twist'r-Shark is something both I and Scott Dayton (neotokeo2001) worked on for months 2 years later. Scott provided many sprites and collaborated on game design. Instead of a single boss we had unique bosses (the beginning giant shark is an example). Instead of a one boss shape we now had several different types INCLUDING companion huge enemies. The style and thickness of large enemy projectiles vary as well. Instead of a single fireball to avoid me and Scott included a variety of sprite based enemies, movement patterns and sizes. We even added bonus objects (the chickens).

The sole focus of Cyber Willy was one giant boss. So, yeah. "Boss" it is! It was/is a simpler game and the first time I delved into the boss rush genre. Over the course of two years I thought I could do better. Neotokeo2001 needed a Sharknado inspired game and I saw my chance to try again incorporating improved skills and ideas. Twist'r-Shark has a title screen with awesome effects and the helicopter animation is something I still find unique and rewarding.

Cyber Willy/Boss made me proud as I finished it in the last 2 days of a contest. It had one purpose: to pit the player against a single, large boss. Keeping that laser focus entertaining is something I still smile about.

Twist'r-Shark made me proud as I got to work with Scott Dayton on a intense arcade experience using his suggestions and sprite work. Multiple large enemies and a variety of smaller types keep you on your toes. Bonus objects add a risk/reward factor.

I can't agree using the playfield to create huge enemies makes this the same game. I used this technique for an earlier Neotokeo2001 game called Nitebear on Sleepystreet in 2010 (last boss). I used it again in Cyber Willy in 2012. I am making NO PROFIT out of this. Cyber Willy has been a free ROM download long before Twist'r-Shark. I gave Cyber Willy/ Boss to LudicrousDa3ve because he had a series of unexpected family related bills. Judge me for that.

• Like 5

My intent wasn't to belittle or question the intent of the game, just making an observation. I did not mean for my post to come off like that but I can see now that it could be taken that way.

theloon has done a lot to help me with my projects in the last few years and I am sorry for any problem that post may have caused.

• Like 2

My intent wasn't to belittle or question the intent of the game, just making an observation. I did not mean for my post to come off like that but I can see now that it could be taken that way.

theloon has done a lot to help me with my projects in the last few years and I am sorry for any problem that post may have caused.

I kind of went "wall of text" to describe the differences. Been running weird hours since my sole income is classic game development. Yeah, Cyber Willy was around when we made Twist'RShark. I like to think of it as the seed that planted many other games - including Upp! that also used the playfield as more than a background :) I was also having doubts about my ability to seize what I wanted and complete it. Cyber Willy happened on a really tough deadline and I made it happen.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

That tit hasn't logged in since Oct.2016, kiss your money good bye. I would hassle Jason, to get this dude's info.

We really need to figure out some kind of system, that won't allow new users to pull this shit. Or better, DON'T TRUST THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE! Even some long standing "members" GroovyRip, should be monitored more closely.

:mad:

• Like 5

That tit hasn't logged in since Oct.2016, kiss your money good bye. I would hassle Jason, to get this dude's info.

We really need to figure out some kind of system, that won't allow new users to pull this shit. Or better, DON'T TRUST THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE! Even some long standing "members" <cough>GroovyRip</cough>, should be monitored more closely.

:mad:

Jason gave the game to the guy for free to do the cartridge offering. Other then making the game he had nothing to do with it. I don't know if he has any information on contacting him. I will see.

Here is some information for him. It seems that he has had some family medical issues over the last year so that may be a major reason for being MIA. Not an excuse to take peoples money but I just wanted to give a heads up on that.

The name is

Dave Vogt
Ludicrous Studios

St. Louis

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/boss-a-brand-new-atari-2600-game#/

https://www.facebook.com/dave.vogt.33

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFjh41dtZLGvpaE1gNRlkug

https://twitter.com/ludicrousda3ve

• Like 2

New years resolution is to only give respected people money for products you know they will deliver.

Also please remember to call out the douchebags that steal no matter how much you love your obsession.

Over 1200 for no product?? I would be pissed!! There are a couple well over 10k and are no where to be found. Hardly a peep from the "backers"

Preorder/prepay = donation/charity nowadays.

No shame or morals.

• Like 1