IGNORED

TK-II Stereo Bundle Pre-order

Dropcheck

Today I get to announce a partnership with mytekcontrols. His original TK-II Stereo Bundle was originally designed for DIYers. My contribution will be to semi-mass produce the bundle for non-DIYers and offer for sale on my website www.bitsofthepast.com.

The pre-order window will open tomorrow on my site. I need a minimum order of ten to get started. Hopefully I can keep a running inventory of at least five in stock for those who cannot purchase them immediately. Christmas is coming. :grin:

There will be several options to choose from. However no Pokey chips will be provided. You will need two Pokey chips to utilize the audio features of the board bundle.

XEGS or XL/XE style
Single or Dual PS/2 interface boards
20 or 30 cm cabling

Base cost will be $45.00 (includes either XEGS or XL/XE style, single PS/2 interface, 20cm cabling and some mounting hardware)
Dual PS/2 will increase it to $49.00
30cm cabling will add $1.00 more

Shipping will be the standard domestic $8.00 and international $22.50.

My role will be to provide sales and assembly of the units. I will be using his board files and recommended parts bom. I don't see any major changes to his original board/parts design except for minor connector/cosmetic changes. Therefore operation, software, firmware, installation and most troubleshooting questions will be referred to Mike. If there is a part/board failure issue then I will intervene with replacement parts or repair.

The following pictures will give you an idea of the finished product shipped to you. Again there maybe minor connector/cosmetic changes.

QF0Sjn4.jpg

5B5N4KO.jpg

MML8TDN.jpg

• Like 5

It is not possible to do the pre-order in the shop-system if i set germany in the billing details. If i set germany as country i get this message:

There are no shipping methods available. Please double check your address, or contact us if you need any help.

(i had no problems to order other parts eith the same adress)

Olix

From an installation standpoint it plugs into the pokey socket and then you have to hook up 6 wires (There is also the option to add a manual switch & a LED to show Mono/Stereo operation - but those are optional.) - Then you connect the breakout PS/2 board with the supplied cabling - I run mine from the back of the machine but it can also be mounted anywhere you like (probably the hardest part of the installation)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/254884-tk-ii-stereo-board-incorporates-dual-pokey-u-switch-ps2-dual-keyboard/page-3?do=findComment&comment=3579332

This is the info on the TKII - this new board basically does everything the TKII does and adds Dual Pokey operation.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/240686-transkey-ii-in-development/?do=findComment&comment=3281145

• Like 1

Is there a reasonably concise explanation somewhere of its features/benefits and how it is installed? I've seen the "TK-II in Development" thread...

-Larry

Hi Larry :)

For now the links that orpheus provided below are your best bet on getting more info on both the Stereo and the Keyboard aspects, as well as installation notes. Today I'll start working on specific install guides for the various A8 'flavors', of which there already is one for the 800XL (link).

The difference between the XL/XE and the XEGS versions is the choice of connection headers. Due to the proximity of the plastic cartridge surround on the XEGS, the straight headers are required to give sufficient clearance (it's a tight fit). Also on the XEGS there is one additional mod that needs to be performed to allow proper operation without the external stock keyboard attached (link). And last but not least, just like the Lotharek Stereo board and depending upon the particular computer, the RF shield might not be usable and/or if used require modification to fit (personally I would suggest not using it unless you require RF Modulator output).

Features/Benefits: It does everything that the combination of Lotharek's Stereo and U-Switch boards do, plus you get a TK-II keyboard interface built-in as well. So essentially it is a 3-in-one board, taking up nearly the same space inside your A8 as Lotharek's Stereo board alone.

pFJUDGb.png

From an installation standpoint it plugs into the pokey socket and then you have to hook up 6 wires (There is also the option to add a manual switch & a LED to show Mono/Stereo operation - but those are optional.) - Then you connect the breakout PS/2 board with the supplied cabling - I run mine from the back of the machine but it can also be mounted anywhere you like (probably the hardest part of the installation)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/254884-tk-ii-stereo-board-incorporates-dual-pokey-u-switch-ps2-dual-keyboard/page-3?do=findComment&comment=3579332

This is the info on the TKII - this new board basically does everything the TKII does and adds Dual Pokey operation.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/240686-transkey-ii-in-development/?do=findComment&comment=3281145

As orpheus pointed out, the connector breakout board (which has the PS2 and Audio connections) does not require mounting or hole drilling if you simply snake the ribbon cable out of the case through an existing opening. For instance on a 600/800XL it could be routed out where the PBI port access has been provided. Another possibility would be to file a slot between the upper and lower case halves just big enough for the ribbon to pass through. Of course for the cleanest look, internal mounting would be preferred. If you wish to minimize the number of holes, and make it easier to remove the motherboard in the future, stand-offs (not provided in the bundle) could be used to mount it directly to the motherboard (where the RF shield ground plane runs around the perimeter). Otherwise with two additional holes in the case, using the provided mounting brackets and screws is likely the easiest mounting method. And for single keyboard use, not requiring the 2nd PS2 connector, purchasing the bundle with the smaller single PS2 connector breakout board would of course make the job of locating a space to mount it so much easier.

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols
  • Like 3

Don't you need 20 more for your 1200XL's? :)

Atari-moola.png

Let's see... 27 1200XLs x $45 = ... uhm... baby steps here, lol. Lest we forget, there's also the U1MB and VBXE mods upgrades...

Nah, I'll start with a couple and see how things go so I can decide where to go from there. ;)

But I really did laugh when I saw your post, Brentarian! ^_^

--Tim

• Like 1

And Timothy you'll be glad to know that I created the installation details for a 1200XL a couple of days ago here. Just in time for the 20 boards you'll be installing thanks to Brentarium's suggestion ;)

Actually Dropcheck's pricing is very good considering that at that VCF show they were selling assembled Piggy-Back TK-II keyboard only boards for $40. For an extra $5 you can get Stereo and integrated U-Switch capability as well.

Michael

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a little bit better picture of the bundle (terminal houses and ribbon connection cable not shown).

8edV6s7.jpg

- Michael

EDIT: Of course you would only get one connector interface board depending on what you ordered from Dropcheck ;)

Edited by mytekcontrols
  • Like 2

Here's a little bit better picture of the bundle (terminal houses and ribbon connection cable not shown).

8edV6s7.jpg

- Michael

EDIT: Of course you would only get one connector interface board depending on what you ordered from Dropcheck ;)

Received mine in the mail today and it is a work of art.. I will be installing over the weekend.

• Like 1